Thread: Storing a car long term

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Default Storing a car long term

Hi all. This isn’t really a Q, more just an A.

Looks like putting my car into storage won’t be happening next year but it’s still a possibility after that. One worry I had was regarding fuel breaking down and causing damage to the fuel system components and someone mentioned a product called Aspen 4 to me. It’s a clean fuel that doesn’t break down as quickly as normal petrol and doesn’t separate in the same way. I got in touch with the company who make it and they said that although I could use Aspen 4 they wouldn’t recommend it but they did make a fuel that was perfect for long term storage. The text for the email is below. Just thought it may be handy if any of you find a year crops up when you have to take your car off the road.

“Hi Pete,

Thanks for your email, whilst aspen wont damage rubber parts or corrode metal like regular petrol when left over time, it can have negative effects on seals which have gotten damaged over time on regular petrol.

Whilst it is rare for this reaction to cause a problem, it is not worth the risk for us to recommend using it in expensive vehicles like your Ferrari.

Our company does however sell another product which does exactly what you are looking for. It is based very much on alkylate fuel (the main component of Aspen) but it contains aromatics which keep the rubber parts of the fuel system swollen to avoid the risk of leaks.

You can purchase this online and more information can be found on our website.

https://aaoil.co.uk/product/sunoco-o...-mon-0-oxygen/

if you are going to store the car for a few years without use, it may also be a good idea to use an oil which contains a storage additive designed to keep engines free of rust from moisture build up.

Any of the driven oils in the “HR” range have this additive as well as much higher levels of zddp anti wear additives which are lost in modern oils.

https://aaoil.co.uk/product-category...ngine-classic/

Let me know if you have any further questions“

Name
    Mark Wibberley

And when you use the car with this stuff in, whats performance like ?

I know its 3.50/litre but could be interested....

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post

Can't help you there I'm afraid, Mark. It's marketed as a racing fuel though so my guess would be pretty good.

Name
    Ian

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post

Just had a look at the spec and seems to be 102 RON so probably ok

Name
    Kwang

Just posted on the other thread so I thought i will repeat here. Esso Synergy Supreme+ 97 Unleaded is ethanol free except Scotland, Devon and North East I believe so South East should be fine. Sometimes fill up prior to laying it up but not always and so far it's been ok. Shell 99 I believe is 5% which i have used to lay up too. Supermarkets like momemtum 99 is 10% as I understand.

Name
    Ian

Momentum 99 is also 5%, same as V-Power. I checked as this is my closest 99 RON.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by sim View Post
    Just posted on the other thread so I thought i will repeat here. Esso Synergy Supreme+ 97 Unleaded is ethanol free except Scotland, Devon and North East I believe so South East should be fine. Sometimes fill up prior to laying it up but not always and so far it's been ok. Shell 99 I believe is 5% which i have used to lay up too. Supermarkets like momemtum 99 is 10% as I understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecook View Post
    Momentum 99 is also 5%, same as V-Power. I checked as this is my closest 99 RON.
    Cheers guys, info much appreciated

Name
    GQ

Just for info, I use this in all my cars with standard fuel and it works a treat

http://sta-bil.co.uk/

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
    Just for info, I use this in all my cars with standard fuel and it works a treat

http://sta-bil.co.uk/
    Cheers for that. Seems like there are several options out there. Must say, this one seems a convenient one.

Do you use it in the Ferrari for the last couple of tanks before putting her away to ensure it's fully mixed or is that not really necessary, you just need to put it in with the final fill up?

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Cheers for that. Seems like there are several options out there. Must say, this one seems a convenient one.

Do you use it in the Ferrari for the last couple of tanks before putting her away to ensure it's fully mixed or is that not really necessary, you just need to put it in with the final fill up?
    I use that every winter, as my car sits for about 5 months normally. Before putting the car away, I chuck it in at the petrol station, brim the tank then park the car up. I don't put it in to any previous fill-ups.

Never had any issues starting, or feeling slower or whatever on that tank of fuel. Used it for 5 years now. Never used it for any longer spell though like you're planning