Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Hypercar Saturation

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Just as an aside, I know I said we should park the discussion but I've been reading the KPMG Global Automotive Executive Survey which is actually quite interesting and makes several interesting points, one of which is that it now says that over 80% of global Automotive executives that responded think that:

"There is no ďone and onlyĒ global mobility concept: Instead, we expect to see different mobility concepts for cities and rural areas......."

That is all I'm arguing and all I've ever argued. I'm not against EV and the like, I just think that people should have the choice and use what best suits them in their particular setting. Efuels is a game changer in that regard if there's enough time to scale it to have an impact. I think there still is time but we'll see

You can probably draw any conclusions you want out of all this data but parts are quite interesting:

https://automotive-institute.kpmg.de...e-architecture
    I donít think we are that far apart from what you have written and of course we have read that report you link to and others. People will have a choice but just recognise that today the majority of People live in cities (55%) and that is projected to rise to 68% by 2050. That is one of the biggest secondary factors in all of this.

The way the technological cycles go we will go to EV just like many went to diesel a generation back and then we are likely to cycle again after that into alternative fuels. The industry needs to respond to the legislation and the technology. Right now the technology has only moved enough to take an interim step. Thatís why the auto industry lobbies like crazy to have some reality behind the wishlists of the activitsts. Again I repeat there are no kids marching for ICE clean or otherwise.

Toyota has said they intend to ride the hybrid train for as long as they can and they have historically been the ones spending the most on R&D and consistently ahead of the sector. They will likely meet their legislative goals with a wide spread hybrid range and then go to hybrid battery / e-fuelled cars to be the cleanest. Graphene batteries and clean fuels will likely combine further down the line.

I learned a simple hard fact when I entered the automotive industry - we design for the market and the markets needs - we donít design for ourselves. The most dangerous thing is projecting ones personal definition of value onto the customers. You just ask them and they tell you what they want. For the HyperCar market which is vanishingly small by comparison - we asked them and being seen to be environmentally responsible was either - number 1/2/3 of their concerns when asked specifically what did they want their HyperCar to say about them.

This came from nowhere two decades ago...

Iíll bet We are not at all far apart when it comes to personal tastes.

I am not posting about my personal tastes

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    I donít think we are that far apart from what you have written and of course we have read that report you link to and others. People will have a choice but just recognise that today the majority of People live in cities (55%) and that is projected to rise to 68% by 2050. That is one of the biggest secondary factors in all of this.

The way the technological cycles go we will go to EV just like many went to diesel a generation back and then we are likely to cycle again after that into alternative fuels. The industry needs to respond to the legislation and the technology. Right now the technology has only moved enough to take an interim step. Thatís why the auto industry lobbies like crazy to have some reality behind the wishlists of the activitsts. Again I repeat there are no kids marching for ICE clean or otherwise.

Toyota has said they intend to ride the hybrid train for as long as they can and they have historically been the ones spending the most on R&D and consistently ahead of the sector. They will likely meet their legislative goals with a wide spread hybrid range and then go to hybrid battery / e-fuelled cars to be the cleanest. Graphene batteries and clean fuels will likely combine further down the line.

I learned a simple hard fact when I entered the automotive industry - we design for the market and the markets needs - we donít design for ourselves. The most dangerous thing is projecting ones personal definition of value onto the customers. You just ask them and they tell you what they want. For the HyperCar market which is vanishingly small by comparison - we asked them and being seen to be environmentally responsible was either - number 1/2/3 of their concerns when asked specifically what did they want their HyperCar to say about them.

This came from nowhere two decades ago...

Iíll bet We are not at all far apart when it comes to personal tastes.

I am not posting about my personal tastes
    I'll bet we're not that far apart personally.

I just think that many things may change and some of your posts have seemed to envisage an EV only, autonomous vehicle only, no personal ownership future that's at complete odds with what many people honestly do want. I see a future with EVs where they work, carbon neutral clean ICE where that works, and a mix of the 2 in many places. I see a future where we all have the choice, not a binary 'all or nothing' future with only one solution.

We'll see where we go from here but the next 5-10 years will undoubtedly be interesting.

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Default Back on topic - interesting poll

Drivetribe poll on forthcoming hypercars...

Most anticipated
    Name:  A4B5E035-ADB3-4AEF-AD7D-0196057056F8.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  36.5 KB

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567