Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youtuber buys old ferrari

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Default Youtuber buys old ferrari

Great to see the reactions here...

https://youtu.be/8Re8YdazRVk

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

I agree, it is good to see them appreciating something that isn't the newest, most advanced model around. I wonder if you'll see more of this as we go into a smaller displacement, less cylinders, turbo era and as driving becomes slightly more detached? If you do and 'kids' like this show an appreciation for a more visceral experience I wonder if any manufacturers will tap into this and start to offer it?

I do think the description of a 430 Scuderia as an "old Ferrari" is a bit of a stretch, but I guess it's all relative

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    ...If you do and 'kids' like this show an appreciation for a more visceral experience I wonder if any manufacturers will tap into this and start to offer it?
    With the notable exceptions of a few of those Porsche models, no.

KenC is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Ken

On the basis that the 360/ 430 range is over 20 years old and Scuds 10/ 11 years old they are certainly getting old. Nice to hear such high praise here.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by KenC View Post
    On the basis that the 360/ 430 range is over 20 years old and Scuds 10/ 11 years old they are certainly getting old. Nice to hear such high praise here.
    As I say, all relative I guess, but if someone talks about an "old Ferrari" I'm thinking 70s maybe 80s, early 90s at a push. I'm certainly not thinking of a car that was being sold the year before the 458 came out. That may be old to these young guys though, I guess.

Name
    CPD

As I say, all relative I guess, but if someone talks about an "old Ferrari" I'm thinking 70s maybe 80s, early 90s at a push. I'm certainly not thinking of a car that was being sold the year before the 458 came out. That may be old to these young guys though, I guess.
    I see my 430/599 as really old cars now.

Think - each one has at least two newer models that have come along since then and for me at least I have never owned cars that are this old. I certainly think I havenít got anything newer because the newer cars donít do it for me (V8 turbos not for me and the newer V12ís are too ballistic for our roads IMO. I did get close to a 458 Speciale and whilst as an investment it would have been good it just wasnít that much better for me emotionally than my F430 modificato project. If my car was standard I am certain I would have swapped but in the showroom I could also see myself getting trapped in the low mileage cage.

When I get to spend more time in Italy I may upgrade the V12 but for now there is really no point. Bottom line is I donít think the hike in costs is buying enough Ďextraí so maybe I have found my niche with the old cars I have.

Name
    Pete

Fair enough. I still think the general population would frankly laugh at you if you described your 430 and 599 as “really old cars” to them but I suppose they are no longer new cars so I take your point.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 06-12-2019 at 07:30 AM.

Name
    Mark

+1

Fwiw, I disagree with the point about the 360/F430 being over 20 years old, that's not entirely accurate. The 360 is 20 or younger, the F430 could be just ten

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    +1

Fwiw, I disagree with the point about the 360/F430 being over 20 years old, that's not entirely accurate. The 360 is 20 or younger, the F430 could be just ten
    Just one of the perils of being in the industry. Working on prototypes makes you jaded and shifts your time perspective because you are always working on the future / or maybe the future. We have a couple of things in now from a Ferrari competitor that are moving the game on again. Although I see my 430/599 combo as old I do think they represent a golden age of ferrari. An era when frankly their road cars were way beyond what anyone else is doing. I thought they would build on it in the generation after it but donít feel like they did. I wanted a V8 with KERS and although it looks like we finally have one now I think they are at least 5years behind where they could have been.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

My 360's 18. well nearly 19.
    However the tech used is about 5 years before that. To look at I think the design still looks a little bit 'current' but there's no doubt it's an old thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast