Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loosing my "major and belts service"

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

A great way of building a relationship....if absolutely love that!

Name
    Jeff

Very jealous - would love to be the apprentice at a dealer for an engine out - wish dealers/indies did something whereby you could do your own engine out at there place with all the equipment/ramps etc and under a watchful eye

Can you take some pics of the engine bay so we can see what "professionals" leave in the car etc. ? I can see all the exhaust, bumper etc is all still in place (might not be able to replicate the bumper staying on at home as the car looks like its been raised pretty high).

Always interested in how little they disconnect...

A348W is online now Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by irarref View Post
    Very jealous - would love to be the apprentice at a dealer for an engine out - wish dealers/indies did something whereby you could do your own engine out at there place with all the equipment/ramps etc and under a watchful eye

Can you take some pics of the engine bay so we can see what "professionals" leave in the car etc. ? I can see all the exhaust, bumper etc is all still in place (might not be able to replicate the bumper staying on at home as the car looks like its been raised pretty high).

Always interested in how little they disconnect...
    I didn't really take anymore pics that would add any value to your question!

Their ramps do go high; high enough to stand under the car, reach up and just touch it! (I so want one in my garage!)

From what I saw it all looked horribly logical. Everything was disconnected from the car, not from the engine; e.g. oil pipes disconnected at the oil cooler, fuel hoses disconnected at the fuel filters, electrical connectors (e.g. ECU cables are disconnected at the ECUs and fed back through the bulkhead.), AC pipes at the bulkhead mounts connection points, etc. Only exceptions that spring to mind are the gear linkage, which was disconnected at the engine, and the pulled out of the way and the throttle cable, which was disconnected at the back of the engine.

They bill the engine out/cambelt replacement as a 14 hour job. Looking at it, and if you had been talked through one or two before, I'd see no reason why you wouldn't have the engine out inside a good morning. Effectively its just two metal shields, all the connectors, 8-10 bolts on the suspension uprights, 12 on the subframe and 2-4 on the exhaust hangars! How hard can it be

He did say putting it back in was harder. Whilst it was easy to initially line the subframe up and get a couple of bolts in, apparently the subframe can twist a little, so getting the other bolts in can be a fiddle, requiring a good lever! Makes sense looking at it. I would also suspect there are a few tricks as to when you thread cables etc. back in, e.g. ECUs, do you do it as you lift the engine back in or after its all bolted up etc.

Only bit I wasn't convinced on was leaving the exhaust back box on, as that puts stress on the cats/headers joints. I plain forgot/ran out of time to ask, but I've seen other pics with it done this way, so maybe I'm just over thinking that one.

Still I'm thankful for the opportunity/experience to kick about for the day. They seem to have gotten a fair few requests for similar from their clients since posting it up on FB. (Careful what you wish for )

Name
    Jeff

Cheers Adrian :-)

Its interesting that its a 14 hour job - is tat start to finish to do cambelt then? I always thought it was a 40 hour job etc??!!!

Do you know what the parts cost of the job is?

Name
    Adrian

Jeff,

Parts inc. oil are about £375. I'll post up invoices when I get them in a couple of weeks; they are awaiting my rocker covers coming back from the powder coaters before they get stuck in.

You do have to be careful though, as some service items don't necessarily align to a belt service and as such they quote for what I'd call a "little annual"; which doesn't include gearbox oil, fuel filters or air filter. I've got them to add them on as they aren't much in reality. (Above doesn't include those).

The quote for "annual, inc. brake fluid and cam belts" was just north of £1800.00 INC VAT. I was quoted very similar by Carrs in Exeter. If you look at what the indies charge, the are all similar(ish) as well.

I think the 40 hrs you refer to is what the Americans get told it takes

Then there is the "whilst we are there..." items and other bits and bobs that crop up, so my eventual bill will be somewhat more than above and probably closer to 40 hrs!

Name
    Jeff

Ahh right - understood ole boy :-)

BTW if one of your while your in there is a oil chain tensioner apparently the land rover defender one fits and is only about £20 instead of $$$$$! Part no: ETC5190

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/th...post-147030858

Allandwf is offline Essex boy's Ford Capri Club Member
    Name
    Allan Fisher

Default Service.

Very interesting. It always makes me smile when people go on about having to remove the engine. Ferrari designed it to be dropped I also have had excellent service from MD, sourcing all the wee bits and bobs to sort out my door issues.

Nosevi is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Allandwf View Post
    Very interesting. It always makes me smile when people go on about having to remove the engine. Ferrari designed it to be dropped
    +1. It simply isn't an issue and gives access around the engine and engine bay once every few years you simply wouldn't get if the engine stayed in. Only downside I've ever seen is that some things are so much easier to do with the engine out rather than in that some things that have been picked up during the service, that I would have done myself, have ended up being done while the engine was out instead. Other than that to my mind it's a positive.

Name
    Adrian

A little update, it’s taken a few weeks to get the cam covers back from powder coating, but I think they look rather good! (Rest of the engine will now look crap )

Name:  5010B39D-2807-4F98-A30F-5C739C267E1C.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  36.9 KB

Mean while the car has been warm and dry in the workshop

Shims have been checked and all exhaust valves “adjusted” and 2 inlet valves.

Rear handbrake shoes replaced; they were just shy of the metal, so I think that when the rear discs were replaced circa 6k miles ago they just didn’t bother with the handbrake shoes!

So they should be putting it all back together now. As I’m working from home for the rest of the week I think a little trip down for a very expensive coffee and look at my car is in order!

Nosevi is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

I like your definition of ‘working from home’ ie involving trips to go and see your car being worked on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast