Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loosing my "major and belts service"

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I like your definition of ‘working from home’ ie involving trips to go and see your car being worked on
    Well the "working from home" trip was mostly enjoyable!

The cars in the workshop were amazing; 2*Laferrari, 246, Daytona, 512, 360 Challenge, 456, 308, 3 maybe 4 pistas being prepped for delivery, one in an amazing colour (I didn't even bother asking to take pics, but you will definitely see this appear on social media when it gets handed over) and gaggles of 458/488/FF/F12/812s etc!

Only down side was one of my Hill Eng tensioner bearings is on the way out with a fair amount of play. These were only replaced 6-7K miles ago so disappointed and a bit worried why its failing so soon. I would have expected these to last easy 30k plus minimum. (Good job I didn't push the belt change out to 4plus years as the bearing would have definitely failed this year!)

New tensioners ordered; so the coffee whilst nice, turned out rather expensive!

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Only down side was one of my Hill Eng tensioner bearings is on the way out with a fair amount of play. These were only replaced 6-7K miles ago so disappointed and a bit worried why its failing so soon. I would have expected these to last easy 30k plus minimum. (Good job I didn't push the belt change out to 4plus years as the bearing would have definitely failed this year!)
    Are you absolutely sure these were replaced only 6-7k miles ago rather than you just being told that previously? I've never heard of Hills tensioners going so quickly. As I said before, they have a code stamped on them so you can check with Hills when they were bought. I think a good few owners would be interested to find out ……..

Terry is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Terry

Hi Adrian, for sure give Paul Hill a call with the details as suggested by Pete.

IIRC there were a few inferior copies going around a few years ago pretending to be Hill bearings which was why they started being stamped with the information. If yours are not identified in this way perhaps they are copies (and perhaps why one has failed)

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    IIRC there were a few inferior copies going around a few years ago pretending to be Hill bearings which was why they started being stamped with the information. If yours are not identified in this way perhaps they are copies (and perhaps why one has failed)
    I remember hearing about those copies, Terry. I believe you can now buy Hill bearings through several re-selling places (correct me if I'm wrong) but personally I bought directly from Hill Engineering.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 05-03-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Terry is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I remember hearing about those copies, Terry. I believe you can now buy Hills bearings through several re-selling places (correct me if I'm wrong) but personally I bought directly from Hill Engineering.
    I think you're right Pete, I have seen them advertised elsewhere but would always buy direct from Hills.

Name
    Adrian

Terry & Pete

Thanks for that I will give Hills a call. (One has sweated grease and has a good deal of movement along the shaft axis!)

Name:  Hills.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  61.8 KB

They are clearly stamped and the receipt from an indie, who I'd actually trust, has them on the invoice. So on the face of it, it should all be kosher!

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Terry & Pete

Thanks for that I will give Hills a call. (One has sweated grease and has a good deal of movement along the shaft axis!)

They are clearly stamped and the receipt from an indie, who I'd actually trust, has them on the invoice. So on the face of it, it should all be kosher!
    That certainly looks legit, is certainly the right kind of marking. So difficult to tell from a photo but it just looks like a lot more than 6-7K miles of use to my eye. Is there a hairline crack on the inner ring (sorry, not sure of its real name) on the left hand side? But as I say, photos can be deceiving.

Also, again photos can lie, but is there scoring on the side of some of the teeth of the belt? It's been a while since I saw one up close but thought the edge was smooth? If it is scoring, is that linked to the play in the tensioner or another issue?
    Last edited by Nosevi; 05-03-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Name
    Pete

Name:  InkedHills_LI.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  61.7 KB

Pangea is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Nick

Ive two brand new bearings from Hill Eng. in front of me. They look exactly like that. Batch number 64003 on both.

Name
    Adrian

I gave Hill a shout today and they confirmed this isn't something they have come across before so very keen to get more details.

The old bearings will be sent up to them so they can have a look in more detail. They reckon given the serial number they will know who they sold it to etc to cross check against my receipts etc. (You never know given the clown I bought it from!)

So hopefully we can figure out what has been going on; part issue/ mechanic issue/ something else?

I'm asked DL to fit new Hills as there has been nothing but positive comments about their products so have full confidence there.

(Thanks Pete and Terry for the prompt. )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast