Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Covid tinkering

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Do you make clamps out of wood, Adrian?

Nice work.

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Well not so much Covid tinkering; just more fixing one of those 348 foibles!

After spending a weekend playing in the Brecon Beacons, arguing with the t**t nav. and coming into Brecon on one bank and then dying in the gas station, the kind guys at National sorted us out with some tools and a new battery. So back to enjoying the welsh roads. But back at home in the garage there was a strong smell of gas. Itís always had the occasional whiff, but this was much more!

Name:  F56987E5-6611-4557-B1E1-F4CFFB110C51.jpeg
Views: 113
Size:  135.0 KB

So up on some axle stands, tank guard off, followed by a small drenching of petrol I thought it was just a loose fuel line connection on the drivers side pump. That tightened, it was still leaking a bit, so I slackened all the nuts off and re tightened on the pump housing which pretty much fixed the problem; other than one nut sweating a few drops of fuel!!!!

To fix it properly, I had to drain the tank, and remove the pump housing, reseal and reseat...but look what I found !

Name:  0EBD5E49-2F91-4245-AE53-AC59FA248653.jpeg
Views: 112
Size:  114.9 KBName:  15DBD018-FAD0-4F8B-B72F-D652AAD5BD65.jpeg
Views: 110
Size:  126.5 KB

Whilst I understand the logic of putting fuel pumps in the tank for aircraft; itís a pointless brain dead idea for a car; let alone putting two in!!! If I ever near the engineer who decided to do this; Iím going to slap them silly

A few parts from Superformance and Maranello Spares later, we are all rebuilt, rebuilding both as I figured they would be similar and they were, back in business and tearing up the local roads!!! And rear rims back from being re powder coated... might as well take the opportunity!

Name:  1FEEE266-2C4A-4C68-8F02-B4ACD93EBB55.jpeg
Views: 111
Size:  112.4 KB

Great to be back in the 348; just love driving it, itís such a big go kart!

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post

Great to be back in the 348; just love driving it, itís such a big go kart!
    Nice to have the choice between the 348 and 355

Is it working out much as I said it might - 348 is the most fun for a blat around country roads but if you want to go on a journey somewhere you'd take the 355?

And nice work on those fuel pumps. I'm guessing these cars are getting to the sort of age where at the next major engine out it may well be worth having mine taken out and refurbished. You can get away with failures of some items simply when they give up but my thinking is fuel seals/lines/pumps aren't in that category and preventative maintenance may be worth considering?

Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post

Is it working out much as I said it might - 348 is the most fun for a blat around country roads but if you want to go on a journey somewhere you'd take the 355?
    Basically yes. The 355 is more comfortable and with a 6th gear easier to cruise, and to cruise faster But for driving in a "spirited fashion" around the lanes...348

As to preventative maintenance; the deteriorated rubber mounts is purely an age related issue, undoubtedly not helped by ethanol content. So regardless of mileage they will want replacing. I will be getting 355 done at its next service. But this time I'll get the garage to do it. Without a lift it is a pain and the main cost is in the parts, it doesn't take a lot of time to do (unless off course you are draining the fuel tank 1 gallon at a time )

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Basically yes. The 355 is more comfortable and with a 6th gear easier to cruise, and to cruise faster But for driving in a "spirited fashion" around the lanes...348

As to preventative maintenance; the deteriorated rubber mounts is purely an age related issue, undoubtedly not helped by ethanol content. So regardless of mileage they will want replacing. I will be getting 355 done at its next service. But this time I'll get the garage to do it. Without a lift it is a pain and the main cost is in the parts, it doesn't take a lot of time to do (unless off course you are draining the fuel tank 1 gallon at a time )
    Yep, definitely think I'll be adding this to the (ever increasing) list for my next major

Name
    Jeff

Hi Adrian - just a w"while your in there" someone in UK (but I've seen it on fchat) is doing replacement fuel gauge senders that are supoosed to be more accurate. Just saying...

Name
    Adrian

Just when you thought it was safe to go out....or go for a drive!

All was well with 2 gallons of fuel in the car, after filling it up and leaving it, I still had a strong whiff of petrol

Looking again, it was still leaking and dripping from the drivers side pump, and looking more closely it looked like it was coming down the back of the tank, from where the two fuel pipes run. Those were replaced...not doing that job again...but the leak persisted; at this point I gave up and called Dick Lovett.

It was trailered down yesterday and they have had a look today with some die and an endoscope, and the tank is leaking from behind the engine bay cross member. Options being a) get a 2nd hand tank and there are a couple about or b) send it off to be repaired as they have used a company on other cars for similar issues. There are no new tanks available.

We have gone with option b) as who is to say any 2nd hand tank isn't in a similar situation? The repair will be comprehensive, in the that it will be cut in 1/2, inside and outside blasted back to bare metal, repair to what ever is wrong, welded back together, interior recoated, exterior re coated and all baked and pressure tested. Believe it or not this is far cheaper than a 2nd hand tank and to my mind a much better solution that will get my tank back to as new condition.

Lead times are a bit long at 7 weeks, but other than a track day next week there were no plans...surprise surprise.

I've asked them to take pictures of the repair as it goes and will post them up; hopefully you will find them interesting; being part structural engineer I'm keen to see what's been going on.

I am now somewhat relieved as we a) know what is wrong b) can fix it and c) it wont cost the earth to which a rather difficult conversation with the missus would be required!

Name
    Pete

Will be interested to see the pictures, Adrian

achaddy is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

What a pain. Glad the repair is not too difficult though and I think with the newly refurbished tank you will have piece of mind.

Strangely enough, when I had my 348 it had a small leak from the fuel tank. Must of had it when I bought the car as I always thought it must of smelt of petrol because it was a highly tuned machine
    Wasn't until I took the bottom tank cover off and a little pool of petrol fell on me I realised there was a problem. Turned out there was a tiny graze in the bottom of the tank which must have been caused by something hitting it, seeping fuel ever so slowly. It never got to the point of dripping on the floor.

So I repaired it using aluminum repair putty ,which I thought would be a temporary fix. Had to drain the tank first so drove it around a lot to use the fuel until I thought I was nearly empty but how much fuel is left when you think its empty
    Intended to go back and find a permanent solution, was looking at second hand tanks but never got round to it and eventually sold the car.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234