Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Covid tinkering

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Sorry Pete; misunderstood.

Mine were foggy on the inside. Not sure what it was but some normal glass cleaner, cloth and long skewers to get the cloth around all the area did the trick.

If the outside is foggy; there are various kits you can buy. On our old Saab I just used 1000 grit and lots of elbow grease!
    Thanks. I think mine are mainly inside as well. Will have to look at some glass polish then, cheers

Any ideas with that clamp? As I said, not vital, but I prefer having both colour coded and black targa ready to go if I can fix it. Not worth the cost of a new clamp though.

Name
    Ian

Not sure whether you would quite call it tinkering but Iíve been thinking about making some car stands from thick wooden planks or beams screwed together.
    I probably wonít run the car during the Corvid 19 problem, so rather than the hassle of removing the charging lead and running it up and down my short drive, I can easily turn over the transmission while still in the garage. That way it will get done a lot more often.
    My only concern is they must be 100% stable as the front of my car is only a few inches from the wall.
    Iíve been told the jacking points are at the rear of the sill so I will probably support from there.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    My only concern is they must be 100% stable as the front of my car is only a few inches from the wall.
    Iíve been told the jacking points are at the rear of the sill so I will probably support from there.
    Tell me, Ian, have you ever watched the film 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off?' Just curious

If you go ahead with it the jacking points are here:

Name:  jack.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  74.0 KB

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Tell me, Ian, have you ever watched the film 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off?' Just curious

If you go ahead with it the jacking points are here:

Name:  jack.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  74.0 KB
    Thanks Pete, Up to now Ive always used the rear two, sometimes with a heavy bridge across them if I want to lift the whole back end.
    Just had a look and there is nothing solid until you move forward quite a way from the rear of the sill. Perhaps he meant somewhere inboard between the centre jacking points and the rear of the sill but that was not how he explained it.
    Looks like I shall be using the rear points to be safe.

Thanks again your a star, could have been a bit of embarrassment if I had just done like he advised.
    I did see Ferris Buellers day off many years ago but I donít remember the relevant point so could you remind me or do I need to watch? Iím sure during these dull days it will be worth a smile in any case.

Name
    Pete

There’s a scene where they jack up a Ferrari and run it in reverse to try to wind the miles off the clock that they’ve put on it. It doesn’t work, the jack falls over with the car running and the car exits through a window. I’m sure you’ll be far more careful than them though

https://youtu.be/bqjK6jjt6gk
    Last edited by Nosevi; 11-04-2020 at 05:07 PM.

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

ďAnyone, anyone, anyone???Ē Classic movie!

Pete, I donít think there is an easy answer to your latch. I canít see any type of glue working to repair what you have. You could mould a new one; but I wouldnít know from what and you would need to make a mould. You could also cut off whatís there and glue/screw (counter sunk) a new piece of rubber on!

Best bet is probably keep an eye on flee bay for a replacement!!

Name
    paul

just the glamorous jobs im afraid :-)

engine oil
    gearbox oil
    plugs
    oil/air/fuel filters
    unsealing body
    general tarting up whilst under there
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post

Pete, I don’t think there is an easy answer to your latch. I can’t see any type of glue working to repair what you have. You could mould a new one; but I wouldn’t know from what and you would need to make a mould. You could also cut off what’s there and glue/screw (counter sunk) a new piece of rubber on!

Best bet is probably keep an eye on flee bay for a replacement!!
    Cheers Adrian. I'll have a think about it and see if I can come up with a solution. As I say, switching a good clamp across from the other targa is literally undoing and doing up a few allen key bolts, it took about 10 mins, so I wouldn't want to spend much on a new clamp. I only very rarely use the black targa - like the lines with the colour coded one, it'd just be nice to have both serviceable if I can.

Edit: A new one is a shade over £600 so maybe I'll just sell my other spare good one instead!
    Last edited by Nosevi; 11-04-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Thereís a scene where they jack up a Ferrari and run it in reverse to try to wind the miles off the clock that theyíve put on it. It doesnít work, the jack falls over with the car running and the car exits through a window. Iím sure youíll be far more careful than them though

https://youtu.be/bqjK6jjt6gk
    Thanks Pete. I seem to think Iíd just bought my Ferrari when I watched it so probably thinking about that rather than watching the film.

Yes I hope to be a little more carful than them, if Iím not totally happy then if wonít get run.
    I certainly wouldnít want to find out the price of a new front end. Tears would be shed Iím sure. 😭

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    Thanks Pete. I seem to think Iíd just bought my Ferrari when I watched it so probably thinking about that rather than watching the film.

Yes I hope to be a little more carful than them, if Iím not totally happy then if wonít get run.
    I certainly wouldnít want to find out the price of a new front end. Tears would be shed Iím sure. 😭

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast