Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Covid tinkering

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Sadly my car lives 4 miles away, and although I didi visit and start it up a week ago, having filled up my daily driver en route - the excuse, I don't feel it morally right to go and visit it. I do probably need to go every now and then to keep it going and will have to find an excuse.

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    “Anyone, anyone, anyone???” Classic movie!

Pete, I don’t think there is an easy answer to your latch. I can’t see any type of glue working to repair what you have. You could mould a new one; but I wouldn’t know from what and you would need to make a mould. You could also cut off what’s there and glue/screw (counter sunk) a new piece of rubber on!

Best bet is probably keep an eye on flee bay for a replacement!!
    I did successfully mould some door hinges out of aluminium for a Fairthorpe election many years ago. Not as intricate as those clamps though. I used clay which I baked, as the clay needed zero moisture.
    I’ve also used a sand mould which is probably more common, just I only had clay at the time.
    Probably as above, look out for a replacement would be easier though.
    Last edited by Ian355; 11-04-2020 at 09:47 PM.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    I did successfully mould some door hinges out of aluminium for a Fairthorpe election many years ago. Not as intricate as those clamps though. I used clay which I baked, as the clay needed zero moisture.
    I’ve also used a sand mould which is probably more common, just I only had clay at the time.
    Probably as above, look out for a replacement would be easier though.
    Cheers Ian. I think you may be right.

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

I’d like to clean up the interior and the leather but the more I research about how to do it the more confused I’m getting about what to use.

Any tips on what to use for a 360?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
    I’d like to clean up the interior and the leather but the more I research about how to do it the more confused I’m getting about what to use.

Tried a few to keep my car looking 100% new, Sy, and the best I tried was ‘Scuffmaster’ from Liquid Leather (Gliptone). If you don’t want to do it all and want a perfect colour and sheen match you need to send them a sample piece of leather (can normally get a loose corner from under a seat on an older car, not sure with a 360.....) but if you’re going to do the entire seats etc that’s not vital. It’s great stuff, hard wearing and easy to apply.

Garvin is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Garvin

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Depends how badly worn/scratched/creased/dirty the leather is. If it's pretty bad then I would recommend using Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil followed by their Pristine Cleaner. Massage the former into the leather with your bare hands and leave for a couple of days. It penetrates the leather, nourishes it and lifts out the dirt. Clean off and finish with the latter.

The Leatherique won't recolour anything but it will deep condition and clean. For recolouring then, as suggested previously, use a Liquid Leather (Gliptone) Scuffmaster kit, I've found them very good and excellent colour matching even without sending a sample - they come with a couple of additives to allow fine tuning of the hue/sheen to match perfectly the original leather.

For general cleaning and conditioning then you can't go far wrong using the Liquid Leather (Gliptone) intensive leather cleaner (GT12) followed by their conditioner (GT11).
    I like red & cream!

Garvin is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Garvin

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Cheers Adrian. I'll have a think about it and see if I can come up with a solution. As I say, switching a good clamp across from the other targa is literally undoing and doing up a few allen key bolts, it took about 10 mins, so I wouldn't want to spend much on a new clamp. I only very rarely use the black targa - like the lines with the colour coded one, it'd just be nice to have both serviceable if I can.

Edit: A new one is a shade over Ł600 so maybe I'll just sell my other spare good one instead!
    There are a number of 3D printing (additive manufacturing) outfits springing up that do automotive spares. The can scan an original part and then do one offs. Metal and hard plastic are no problem but rubber parts can't be done. I have no idea on cost or IPR restrictions on parts that are still available from OEM. Might be worth a few phone calls.
    I like red & cream!

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    There are a number of 3D printing (additive manufacturing) outfits springing up that do automotive spares. The can scan an original part and then do one offs. Metal and hard plastic are no problem but rubber parts can't be done. I have no idea on cost or IPR restrictions on parts that are still available from OEM. Might be worth a few phone calls.
    Thanks, might well do that after life gets back to normal

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Tried a few to keep my car looking 100% new, Sy, and the best I tried was ‘Scuffmaster’ from Liquid Leather (Gliptone). If you don’t want to do it all and want a perfect colour and sheen match you need to send them a sample piece of leather (can normally get a loose corner from under a seat on an older car, not sure with a 360.....) but if you’re going to do the entire seats etc that’s not vital. It’s great stuff, hard wearing and easy to apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Depends how badly worn/scratched/creased/dirty the leather is. If it's pretty bad then I would recommend using Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil followed by their Pristine Cleaner. Massage the former into the leather with your bare hands and leave for a couple of days. It penetrates the leather, nourishes it and lifts out the dirt. Clean off and finish with the latter.

The Leatherique won't recolour anything but it will deep condition and clean. For recolouring then, as suggested previously, use a Liquid Leather (Gliptone) Scuffmaster kit, I've found them very good and excellent colour matching even without sending a sample - they come with a couple of additives to allow fine tuning of the hue/sheen to match perfectly the original leather.

For general cleaning and conditioning then you can't go far wrong using the Liquid Leather (Gliptone) intensive leather cleaner (GT12) followed by their conditioner (GT11).
    Thanks guys.

Will give it a go.

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

So some more tinkering. Awhile ago I lost one of those annoying fairing pieces next to the fog light. They are about ish and Maranello found one for me, but at Ł200 I politely declined!

With a little time on my hands I’ve done some “whittling of wood”; using a left over off cut from some oak flooring I did last year.

Overall I’m pretty pleased with the result! You can only see a little bit of the wood grain and only if you look really close.

Let’s hope it stays in place!

Name:  CFF75561-7FCD-4C0C-A887-264CD289EF44.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  B180E9F7-E0FB-46F5-8BFE-BA323FB2E1CA.jpeg
Views: 112
Size:  125.9 KB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast