Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Ferrari - 360

Name
    Skeeter

Default First Ferrari - 360

Hi all,

I am seriously considering my first Ferrari and really like the idea of a 360 manual as a bit of weekend fun. Having spent some time looking around I think I have worked out who the reputable dealers are and have found two cars that seem to be what I am looking for.

The first is;

https://www.rardleymotors.com/docs2/...del_year%20ASC

And the second is;

https://www.tfcgb.com/used-cars/1125...modena-manual/

The second one was exported to Australia and then re-imported to the Uk, it has it odometer in KM, and the speedo also seems to be in KM. Looking at the service history it seems to need a belt service.

I am used to running fragile fun cars for fun, my most recent fun car was a S3 Lotus Exige, and I also happen to own a Lotus Carlton and a Ford Cortina 1600e, but what is really stopping me taking the plunge is the risk of buying a 360 and then getting a very big and unexpected bill, one of Ferrari size. I cant see any real horror stories about these cars other than wear and tear type things and that they like to be driven rather than left standing.

My questions therefore;

1) Any particular comments about the two cars

2) Is an after market warranty a "thing" for one of these or not worth it?

The alternative I am considering is a DB9, which will be much newer and can be had with an Aston timeless warranty for peace of mind.

Thanks for any comments

Name
    jos

Welcome back - both cars look fine at first glance

Rardley make a valid point in that some 360's do and some do not have some sort of pollution exemption for driving in London which may or may not matter to you

I doubt an aftermarket warranty will be too effective - in your background reading you'll probably have seen that few major issues arise but one new thing to look out for since your 2013 search is the excellent information on Voicey's Ferrari site

Name
    Mark

I wont comment on the two cars in the links (Gordon Ramsay's old 360?!!) other than there are plenty of good reports for these two dealers. I'd expect a few people here to give the thumbs up on those. The 360 isn't really as fragile as you may think. It'll eat through a few suspension components much quicker than your typical family car but consumables such as brakes and tyres are quite economical considering the marque.

Good luck with your search.
    Ps. If you really want a Ferrari, an Aston Martin simply wont cut it.

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

I don't know about Rardley, but KHPC has a sound reputation.

Only comment on the two cars would be that Ferrari owners can be a bit picky; overly so at times. So whilst I'm sure there is nothing wrong with importing/exporting etc. the price needs to reflect it; and if you move on similar consideration will be needed.

My main comment would be; don't forget to get a PPI. Voicey or Tim Walker would be the only people I would trust. Worth its wait in gold; and a lot of cowboys/scammers/vested interests around the bizarres.

(I wouldn't put a 360 into the "fragile" camp per say. But others that own and have some decent high mileage examples will undoubtedly be along.)

Good luck with your search.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I know some will want to flame me for mentioning resuduals, and yes you shouldnt buy a car with a view to selling it (unless its a real exotic/rare/collectable/etc), but in my experience, Astons depreciate like a condom machine in the Vatican car park !!!

The potential £10k oily bit bill you might have with a Ferrari is a bargain compared to the depreciation you will get with an Aston. Any 360 will eat its suspension joints even if it does little mileage.

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Not much to add except:-

I have been a customer of Rardley whom I would vouch for. Small independent but highly respected.

Four new tyres is a good.

Many low mileage Ferrari’s have tyres well past their sell by date which given the performance is crazy.

Factory suspension on the 360/430 platform is prone to high wear on the Flamblocs and corroded chrome plated Ball Joints. (Ironically this seems to be worse on low use cars). These along with dampers are maintenance items that will need doing at some stage and at these mileages likely soon. If / When these need doing its a chance to fit the Hill Engineering upgraded items but its not a cheap job. Brake Discs and pads are similar in terms of likely needing doing at this age and mileage.

Finally make sure you compare like for like on the spec’s as the original purchase price could be dramatically different for a high spec car vs. Standard. For example the challenge grill on the Rardley car
    Last edited by Modificato; 05-07-2020 at 07:09 PM.

Name
    cgt

I used Rardley for most of the 90's during my early years of Ferrari ownership. Always an impeccable standard of work and Mike Lester became a great friend.

Although Mike sadly passed away a few years ago he had a great team, all of whom are still there to my knowledge and he set very high standards for the quality of their work.

I would have no hesitation in buying from them unseen, in fact I very nearly did just that a few months back until someone else beat me to a car I was considering.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Mike01606 is online now Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Iíve had a 360 for over 8 years and itís been pretty solid.
    Annual services are around £600 then belts every three years adds about another £500 -£800 to the bill if itís a major interval one also.
    As others have said, suspension is like the forth bridge but you can do a lot of the work yourself. See my Argento 360 thread in running reports ( or is it technical!).
    Thereís no getting away from high parts prices but build a good relationship with your local main dealer for parts. Likewise servicing, find a good place and youíll be fine.

Other wear items are engine/gearbox mounts will need doing if not done recently.
    The clutch kit is about £1500 (nuts for a valeo clutch) and is about 10 hours to fit. They should last 30k upwards for manuals if driven sympathetically.

Gearbox synchros can be an issue and more so on manuals. Also watch for evidence of a failed trans cooler as it mixes coolant with the trans oil and lunches the box quite quickly. Frequent coolant changes are good preventative maintenance.
    Brakes are really cheap with disks from Eurocarparts for about £70 each. Thereís several options on pads and they need regular fluid changes or the lines can clog up.

As far as big bills go, the main one is variator failure (sane impact as a belt snapping) but Iím directly aware of only one. DaveK off here. Check itís had the updated ones fitted (Daveís had).

PP Inspection is a must unless buying from one of the two places Iíd recommend for inspections. Tim Walker or AV Engineering.

Itís an absolute must to buy on condition as a few simple things could cost in the short term and spoil the experience.
    Iíve put nearly 25k miles on my car and it close to 50k now and runs great. Iíd say itís only really loosened up beyond 40k.
    There on on here with over 150k miles on it.

Donít totally discount the F1 unless you have to have a manual. There nowhere near as bad as some will have you believe. They just need to be maintained and set-up well.

Name
    Simon Bannister

I bought my 360 from KHPC and have had it serviced by Dean and Martin at Rardley ever since. Buying experience from KHPC was excellent and I couldn't fault them and the guys at Rardley's I have taken my previous 348 and now 360 for nearly 15 years.....they are excellent. You wont go wrong with either company.

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Is it just me, or do stick shift 360s seem remarkably well-priced? I had in my head £70-80k

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast