Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Ferrari - 360

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    Is it just me, or do stick shift 360s seem remarkably well-priced? I had in my head £70-80k
    It does appear that some models were hit more than others in terms of 'value' by the market slow down due to lockdown etc. They'll probably bounce back because you've not seen this dip in other models in a similar area of the market.

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

I think this occurred before the lockdown. I had been looking at 360 prices late summer/ early fall (autumn to the rest of you ) last year and they were already down into the £50ks especially for the F1s.

I seriously toyed with the idea of a manual/spider as I'd like a little more comfort for longer trips. (Getting older with a doggie back ). Unfortunately/ fortunately the timing wasn't right and still isn't for me.

Completely agree that they are now looking really good value; and I think the styling has aged well.

Name
    Mark

Is it just me, or do stick shift 360s seem remarkably well-priced? I had in my head £70-80k
    Maybe people have started getting past the BS?!

The models that see the biggest (often unsustainable) increases are likely to suffer the biggest fallback, special/limited editions generally being the exceptions. We saw the 3x8 & F355 almost double making the 360 seem pretty good value (relatively) so I'm curious as to what's happening with the prices of the other models. If the three pedal 360 has dropped back into the fifties then do we have the £40k F355, £30k 348 etc?

Interesting times. I do think the premium for the three pedal variant was completely daft as it only reared its head as the prices rose across the board.

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    Maybe people have started getting past the BS?!

The models that see the biggest (often unsustainable) increases are likely to suffer the biggest fallback, special/limited editions generally being the exceptions. We saw the 3x8 & F355 almost double making the 360 seem pretty good value (relatively) so I'm curious as to what's happening with the prices of the other models. If the three pedal 360 has dropped back into the fifties then do we have the £40k F355, £30k 348 etc?

Interesting times. I do think the premium for the three pedal variant was completely daft as it only reared its head as the prices rose across the board.
    Quite possibly. I would personally prefer a 3-pedal 360, but I wouldn't be willing to pay a decent premium for that - no more than 10% say, in much the same way as I'd probably pay the same amount over the odds for the colours I wanted.

If it got daft levels of difference (which is what I had in my head), say £20k or so - which is what I remember the difference being - then no way is the 3-pedal worth that much more, IMO

Name
    Mark

Quite possibly. I would personally prefer a 3-pedal 360, but I wouldn't be willing to pay a decent premium for that - no more than 10% say, in much the same way as I'd probably pay the same amount over the odds for the colours I wanted.

If it got daft levels of difference (which is what I had in my head), say £20k or so - which is what I remember the difference being - then no way is the 3-pedal worth that much more, IMO
    I totally agree. I can understand a slight difference but it had gotten to be pretty stupid, as you say perhaps £20k or more.

So at its peak, we could've had a three pedal Modena OR our rosso F1 car, My Boxtser and Santa Cruz mountain bike, a new iMac and Rolex all for the price of a gear knob . Hmm
    Not that it mattered when we bought. Prices were identical and colour led the way in terms of the choice between cars of similar history/condition/mileage. If we had bought a manual car instead, I would've sold it for a huge profit a couple of years ago and bought... yep, an F1 360, bike, Rolex, new iMac...

Name
    Dave

They can throw big bills - as Mike said, mine did last year. However it's the exception rather than the norm and apart from that blip I'd say mine was reliable and had very reasonable running costs. Even my bill for the variator snapping - although expensive - wasn't bad in the end, and certainly was less than I expected for Ferrari prices.

And look at it this way - even having suffered that, I still think they're fabulous cars, and highly recommend them. And if prices crash at any point, I may well own another one.

Also - there are things the Aston warranty won't cover if they break, and having run a 360 and AM Vantage together over several years : Aston parts prices are insane and make Ferrari parts prices a bargain. Need a front spring for a 360? £80 sir. Need one for an Aston Vantage? £600 sir.
    Last edited by dave964; 07-07-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    I think this occurred before the lockdown. I had been looking at 360 prices late summer/ early fall (autumn to the rest of you ) last year and they were already down into the £50ks especially for the F1s.

I seriously toyed with the idea of a manual/spider as I'd like a little more comfort for longer trips. (Getting older with a doggie back ). Unfortunately/ fortunately the timing wasn't right and still isn't for me.

Completely agree that they are now looking really good value; and I think the styling has aged well.
    Agree with all of the above and thought about changing myself, just decided not to in the end. May do one day though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    We saw the 3x8 & F355 almost double making the 360 seem pretty good value (relatively) so I'm curious as to what's happening with the prices of the other models. If the three pedal 360 has dropped back into the fifties then do we have the £40k F355, £30k 348 etc?
    Very much doubt it. The 360 was a big step forward, a real game-changer, but for that reason it's seen as a modern car whereas the Ferrari 3x8s can hardly be called that. Look up the prices for Aston Martin V8 Vantages - those made in the late 80s are now worth a lot more than the modern ones and yet by every objective measure the newer cars are far superior. But buying an older car isn't objective, it's very much subjective. However much a 360 is a superior machine to the older V8s (and it really is) it doesn't follow that as the older cars tiptoe into being seen as classics their prices will be 'tagged' to those of the modern car. Just doesn't work like that.

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    ...Very much doubt it. The 360 was a big step forward, a real game-changer, but for that reason it's seen as a modern car whereas the Ferrari 3x8s can hardly be called that. Look up the prices for Aston Martin V8 Vantages - those made in the late 80s are now worth a lot more than the modern ones and yet by every objective measure the newer cars are far superior. But buying an older car isn't objective, it's very much subjective. However much a 360 is a superior machine to the older V8s (and it really is) it doesn't follow that as the older cars tiptoe into being seen as classics their prices will be 'tagged' to those of the modern car. Just doesn't work like that.
    I don't disagree Pete, just playing devils advocate a little really. But here's the thing... I read regular chatter about how 'younger' people wont want the classics (and the 360 is hardly new now either) so as time moves on the poster cars become increasingly newer. The rises we're talking about have occurred in the last six years or so, meaning the models I mentioned were hardly tip-toeing into a different place in the market. We all saw it, a very definite rocket up the arse of the market right across the board over a two year period, on pretty much everything from the 360/550 era backwards with the F430 just about getting its nose in there too.
    You know I don't make these comments to mark down the earlier cars in any way. I'd happily own a 3 0/2/4/ 8 and I still find the F355 utterly adorable. I just wonder why one model gets seemingly shafted by the 'pistonheads predicted' crash or correction, brexit, corona yadda yadda whilst the others are to some extent now immune.

Name
    Skeeter

Default Update

Thanks everybody for the insight and thought, all very helpful.

Where have I reached? Heart v head. My heart says buy one but my head says not to. What is stopping me is the thought of dropping £60k or so into a car only to find an unexpectedly large bill which then turns the car a £70k car or worse.

I have a couple of older cars which need work to keep them going, but even the Lotus Carlton doesnít cost stupid money for every little thing.

The answer is clearly to buy something much newer with a proper warranty, but that is just far too much money to tie up in a toy (at least for me) as I donít want to finance it.

So I am in an internal battle about the right thing to do I know it is a real first world problem and all that.

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Or

get an older model, (308/ 328) where I would have thought large bills are less likely provided you get a well sorted one with impeccable history. (Standing by to be shot down in flames by those that know better!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast