Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pur Sang et all to Do classic Ferrari?

Nosevi is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    It’s a grey area for me with tool room copies - if you have no chance of getting the real thing and they have all become undriveable due to values some thing like this makes sense.

https://youtu.be/ttl-kF8Rbuo
    Not grey at all for me - that car is fantastic, a real labour of love and a tribute to the originals. Ok, he's badged it which I wouldn't have done ……….. but he hasn't painted it as any original 250 TR would be so no one is going to look at it and think it's an original and he's not pretending it is or trying to fool anyone.

Read a story while looking at Pur Sang of a guy trying to pass his car off as an original classic Bugatti at an event but Bugatti Club members there could tell it wasn't. Huge difference between that and what this guy has done.

I honestly think trying to fool everyone that you have something which you can't afford indicates a bit of a lack of self confidence. It's a bit like wearing a fake Rolex and trying to pass it off as real. Why would you do that?
    Last edited by Nosevi; 11-07-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Not grey at all for me - that car is fantastic, a real labour of love and a tribute to the originals. Ok, he's badged it which I wouldn't have done ……….. but he hasn't painted it as any original 250 TR would be so no one is going to look at it and think it's an original and he's not pretending it is or trying to fool anyone.

Read a story while looking at Pur Sang of a guy trying to pass his car off as an original classic Bugatti at an event but Bugatti Club members there could tell it wasn't. Huge difference between that and what this guy has done.

I honestly think trying to fool everyone that you have something which you can't afford indicates a bit of a lack of self confidence. It's a bit like wearing a fake Rolex and trying to pass it off as real. Why would you do that?
    It’s a weird one - people who wear fake Rolexes are generally unable to bridge a gap between their income and the RRP. Similarly people buying fake ‘designer label’ clothes are unable to bridge the gap even to TK Max. The copies usually look ridiculous.

The rare Ferrari is a different matter because it’s price has inflated many many times beyond anything related to the period price. A pur sang Alfa 8C or Bugatti gives lesser enthusiasts to taste exactly what the Uber rich collectors can do. This for me is a million miles away from the comical MR2 based kits which are just risible to the eye and the experience. A toolroom copy of a GTO / 250TR / 750 Monza is going to be a worthy experience for its owner.

One is an homage the other is pastiche.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12