Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not quite a new owner yet, but the prospect is mouth watering...

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Golfather View Post
    It's by no means conclusive that I'll get manual but I'll try both before making that decision but there's something romantic about the gated shifter that I'm keen to try, having always owned auto's over the past 10 years.
    Hi. A fair point but do remember that the F1 versions of the 360/F430 are not automatics. They have the manual box in the back and it's just the gear change method that's different (as well as the hydraulics & software to power it all of course). You drive them like a three pedal just without, well..., the third pedal!

I found the manual 360 a little better in stop-start traffic & very low speed manoeuvring and certainly better for steep hill starts, whereas the F1 on the open road is simply sublime. Good luck with the search.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    it's just the gear change method that's different (as well as the hydraulics & software to power it all of course). You drive them like a three pedal just without, well..., the third pedal!
    Bit like an automatic you mean?

Just winding you up, Mark. Ignore me

Golfather is offline Burnt out Rover Metro Club Member
    Name
    Kash

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    Hi. A fair point but do remember that the F1 versions of the 360/F430 are not automatics. They have the manual box in the back and it's just the gear change method that's different (as well as the hydraulics & software to power it all of course). You drive them like a three pedal just without, well..., the third pedal!

I found the manual 360 a little better in stop-start traffic & very low speed maneuvering and certainly better for steep hill starts, whereas the F1 on the open road is simply sublime. Good luck with the search.
    Sure. Looking around the manuals are commanding a fair premium in any case, so the preference right now is the F1. I imagine even with the F1 caution will have to apply by avoiding riding the clutch on inclines etc, but all things considered, I'm leaning towards the F1. Shame it didn't come with a DCT box

I'll be viewing a Spider and Coupe very soon (both Grigio).

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Golfather View Post
    Sure. Looking around the manuals are commanding a fair premium in any case, so the preference right now is the F1. I imagine even with the F1 caution will have to apply by avoiding riding the clutch on inclines etc, but all things considered, I'm leaning towards the F1. Shame it didn't come with a DCT box

I'll be viewing a Spider and Coupe very soon (both Grigio).
    Used regularly and as intended the F1 boxes and their clutches are very reliable and get checked with proper servicing. Both my F1 cars have been 100% reliable and a delight to use in all situations. Wear rates suggest a clutch life of 100,000 km unless the F1 system is not checked and adjusted at services. I hear a lot about higher wear rates but I don’t know if low mileage / launch control use or something else is at play.

Prior to these I had three gated manual Ferrari’s which were great but would be pointless gearboxes given the performance leap that came available in the F430 / 599 electronics era.

Golfather is offline Burnt out Rover Metro Club Member
    Name
    Kash

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Used regularly and as intended the F1 boxes and their clutches are very reliable and get checked with proper servicing. Both my F1 cars have been 100% reliable and a delight to use in all situations. Wear rates suggest a clutch life of 100,000 km unless the F1 system is not checked and adjusted at services. I hear a lot about higher wear rates but I donít know if low mileage / launch control use or something else is at play.

Prior to these I had three gated manual Ferrariís which were great but would be pointless gearboxes given the performance leap that came available in the F430 / 599 electronics era.
    Good to hear, and Iíve discounted the gated manual for the very reason that advancements in technology and electronics will, I hope, make it a much slicker and use friendly option.

Iíve not had the time to get down to see the 2 Grigioís yet. Both F1ís. A coupe with Nero and a spider with Rosso. Thereís also a Cali T nearby so Iíve decided to take a look and compare. Different cars with different characteristics so Iím looking forward to doing a back to back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12