Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Adrian's 355 musings

Garvin is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Garvin

Brave? My hand was forced somewhat as it started giving a brief flash of the right hand bank slow down lamp followed immediately by a brief flash of the check engine lamp although the engine continued to perform without any apparent problem - rinse and repeat at varying intervals of time between 10 and 30 seconds. This took an age to diagnose as a voltage drop across the main fuse/relay board which resulted in all the extraneous additional wiring being removed which then fully uncovered the dire state of the board. Deep breath required followed by requirement for deep pockets!
    I like red & cream!

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Allandwf View Post
    My 348 has 3 nineties immobilisers fitted, only the Cobra works. I want to get the lot ripped out too, but not as brave as you yet.
    I went down this route on my 348 when I had a very intermittent dead engine issue (only happened 2-3 times) and seemed to resolve itself after 5-10 minutes but very annoying. After lots of pondering and tinkering the only thing I could come up with was a doggy immobiliser. So not having done this before and generally hating electrics/ electronics (they cant "really" be fixed with a hammer ) I took the plunge and removed the immobiliser.

Although done by an "approved installer" to say the wiring was amateur would be an understatement; it looked like I had done it! I reckon the issue was a doggy earth connection in the end. Still, 2 years on I've never had the problem re-occur (fingers crossed).

As to the 355, whilst the black boxes have come out and the power and earth connections (I've found to date) removed the car still runs, the wiring is an order of magnitude more complicated than the immobiliser on the 348, so I've yet to decide what to do there with respect to leave it or remove it, we will see when the dash comes out and I can get a better look at it.

The plus as far as I'm concerned, is that the insurance company doesn't seem bothered if the 348 or 355 have an alarm/ immobilise fitted or not, so one less thing to go wrong in my book. And if it does get nicked, I'm insured !

Name
    Adrian

First track day in the 355 Oldest and only manual; but probably the best sound, other than maybe the 488 evo challenge.

Wet and blustery but brilliant day. Great to meet some new owners and catch up with others not seen in some time!!!

Was initially a bit disconcerting leading a group out with a P1, 488 evo challenge , 488 challenge and a mini gp driven by an ex lemans driver who was happily hunting pistas!!!!

Name:  D3C402C0-1DD8-41ED-8251-8912D8F42DD4.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  5E5F5CCE-CEF8-45F2-9083-8E191F5E7E22.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  45.7 KB

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    First track day in the 355 Oldest and only manual; but probably the best sound, other than maybe the 488 evo challenge.

Wet and blustery but brilliant day. Great to meet some new owners and catch up with others not seen in some time!!!

Was initially a bit disconcerting leading a group out with a P1, 488 evo challenge , 488 challenge and a mini gp driven by an ex lemans driver who was happily hunting pistas!!!!

Name:  D3C402C0-1DD8-41ED-8251-8912D8F42DD4.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  5E5F5CCE-CEF8-45F2-9083-8E191F5E7E22.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  45.7 KB
    Know what you mean, driving my GT4 at Silverstone with modern race cars closing at 50mph faster down the straights and going into corners and trying to work out whether to give way before a corner or stick to the line. Always worked out OK for me and I didn't find it too much of a problem but the mirror was as important as looking forwards.

Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    Know what you mean, driving my GT4 at Silverstone with modern race cars closing at 50mph faster down the straights and going into corners and trying to work out whether to give way before a corner or stick to the line. Always worked out OK for me and I didn't find it too much of a problem but the mirror was as important as looking forwards.
    Fortunately its wasn't like a FOC track day of, "put as many cars on track as we can", it was limited to 6 cars at a time, so easy to find your own space

Name
    Adrian

As the weather has turned and we are locked down, time to take the dash and door cards out ready to take to the trimmers when we are free. (Thanks for the instructions!!!)

And access to all that “additional” wiring and black boxes (an additional three taken out, so I think that makes nine in total!!!). A little tidying up to be done and wire the speakers back to normal etc. Fortunately it’s easy to figure out what is oem and what is aftermarket.

Also some little leds behind the vents; alarm or radar jammer?!

Name:  B5F4B87C-E150-43D1-907A-D80B31D5EC54.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  3D04BB82-6A54-4744-8D19-E871AE728636.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  71.6 KB

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

I think it might be an ex Q branch car Adrian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post

Name
    Mark

Ha ha

Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Still looking for the ejector seat button and missile launchers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345