Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 328 GTS : Buying Advice & Owner Experience - all advice, and stories gladly welcome!

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by 4200CC View Post
    Good point Francis regarding rust I'd forgotten to mention this - I understand the usual places around arches and doors are the places to check.

Is sorting the A/C an expensive job? Do you remember what the various issues were and what parts were required?

The so-called lack of performance isn't an issue for me, and like you I tend to think 270BHP, or whatever that has reduced to over time, is still spritely in this car. Also I don't have hyper performance with some of my cars which are all about the overall driving experience.

Initially the radiator fans weren't doing a good enough job. Maybe if I'd had them rebuilt it would have been OK but I decided to go the whole hog and replaced them with modern 13 inch Kenlowe 2 speed fans fed directly from the battery using the original circuitry just for switching relays. Non original but very efficient. Had the compressor converted to modern gas at minimal cost, just a couple of seals.

But the airflow through the vents was abysmal. Eventually after a couple of years, and water ingress into the passenger footwell, I identified that condensation from the evaporator was leaking into the footwell. Long and short QV discovered that the plastic tray assembly which collects the condensation, and also first the air to the vents, was in pieces. Luckily the had a complete fan/tray assembly in their used parts inventory and although it was not a cheap job for them to replace it I now have a real gale coming from the vents. There are three vents for the AC, the middle one on the dashboard and two small ones at knee level, which as Mark commented quite correctly, gives you a frozen knee.

But if you are going anywhere where the sun shines, as I have done to Italy and Spain espcially when heading south, with the sun shining onto teh greenhouse like front windscreen, you will appreciate the AC at whatever level it works.

Other places to check for rust. The floor above the exhaust box and the scuttle in front of the windscreen. Both known weak spots.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    For what it's worth, I think the reaction of others may depend on where you live and drive the car. I've never experienced anything negative in seven years with a red 360 Modena, including a couple of long Euro trips. The only reaction that perhaps could be seen as negative was a guy in an Audi S3 slowing down a bit then speeding off a few times in Slough, probably because he was used to feeling like king of the road until I rolled up behind him at some traffic lights The was more comical than annoying though.

I've never owned a 308/328 but I test drove a 328GTS a number of years ago and had no problems fitting in, although it was summer and the roof was off. I'm 6ft 0", medium build.
    I've not had a single adverse comment on my car, in fact completely the reverse and it is sometimes embarrassing the praise that is given though always gratefully received. But then it is 41 years old and not red!

I am 6ft 2" and large build and fit in my GT4 OK. Years ago when much lighter I found sitting in a 328GTS passenger seat a real problem. I have been in 308GTs's (the seats are slightly lower than the 328) with the roof off and have been comfortable.

Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Roony View Post
    I've personally spent many hours on the engine bay.... But the difference is worth it.. removing the fuel tanks etc is simple and once painted they set the engine bay off.... i've had every item plated and have replaced every fuel/water hose etc along with other essentials

I've fully rebuilt the air con system with the help of Paul who is another member of the club...

Don't get me wrong I've done several 400 mile trips in the 328 and for the right journey I would do it again, The refurbed air con will help! For me a car is how it makes you feel and the 328 is a classic which gives me a sense of occasion...... thereafter every thing feels a bit more modern? and as such feels no better than my 997...

its been said before but when you need a lift, a visit to your garage to view your pride and joy does just that!

Take your time and pick the right car, Biggest maintenance cost is the belts every couple of years... 400

Personally I would buy from an enthusiast who can demonstrate how they have maintained/improved the car...

Hope that helps..
    Looks lovely. 2 1/2 years ago I spent 3 months doing much the same on my car but with QV doing the heavy lifting. A couple of weeks ago I saw the underside when it was on a lift for the MOT and it all looks horribly filthy having since done 6K miles. I really need to get under it and clean it again!

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    I've not had a single adverse comment on my car, in fact completely the reverse and it is sometimes embarrassing the praise that is given though always gratefully received. But then it is 41 years old and not red!
    Like I say, do think there's a date cut off. I know a lot of guys with 348s and not heard of a single adverse comment or reaction made to any of them. My car is red and extremely loud (Nouvalari SuperSport exhaust) and I've had nothing but positive reactions for the 10 or so years I've owned her. Bikers in particular seem to appreciate her, think it's the noise. I've got mates with 430s and later who have had quite the opposite. Anyway, 308/328/348/355 I don't think it's really a consideration, in the more modern cars it shouldn't be but as Mark said, depending on where you live it can be.

Name
    paul

I've just come back after a 2 hour drive with the 328 and pulled into my local Shell garage to fill her up, on the way back she was surrounded by 4 young bikers and one them said that's "a bad ass Ferrari"
    its never been called that before but I'll take it
    no negative comments but you do get the Knobs from time to time driving up your ass then over taking you at Mach 10 tying to prove something I guess, she's 31 years old so most cars are Faster BUT not as beautiful

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234