Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 328 GTS : Buying Advice & Owner Experience - all advice, and stories gladly welcome!

Name
    Rooony

Default 328

I'm approaching 15 years with my 328..... Time fly's......

You need to remember that these cars are getting close to 30 plus years old now and they will need refreshing, especially the undercarriage and suspension which seems to go unnoticed..

I've currently got my engine out and taking the opportunity to fully refurbish the engine bay, chassis and suspension. Its amazing how much better every thing cleans up.

I now only use mine for short journeys, the occasional 100mile jaunt but I would never take it any further as its not really that comfortable? You definitely need the air con as it gets hot and sticky in the cabin.

Its a thing of beauty and mostly sits in the garage......

Name
    BenjaminBraddock

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I think there's a cut off date somewhere - I've heard of guys in 360s, 430s, 458s, etc getting this sort of negative reaction, guys I know with Mondials, 308/328s, Testarossas etc say they always get the exact opposite. In the 348 I've only ever got very positive reactions.

If you can, I'd try to drive all the models on your list and see which one suits you. At the very least I'd sit in them all and drive any that take your fancy. I drove a 308, 328, 348 ad 355 before buying my 348. Found the 308 and 328 a little cramped (not yet lost that 3 stone of middle age spread...... Height was an issue too though) and the 355 was both stretching the budget and I preferred the feel of the non-power assisted steering on the earlier cars. The 348 was the best fit for me, also had a bit more punch than the earlier 2 cars. I only knew that from looking at them all in the metal and sitting in them though.

KHPC has a 308, 328, 348 and 355 in stock. You could always pop down there and look over all of them back to back and maybe drive a couple if they look like a good fit?

https://www.tfcgb.com/used-cars/sear...&pageId=339944

It's just bizarre how some people are towards owners of nice cars, I've never got my head around the jealousy thing.. my experience in my Maserati has been that 40+ women speak to me at petrol stations about my car - its shame I didn't have it when I was younger and single

I will take your advice and pop along to KHPC as I spoke to Roger and David a few days ago. At least by seeing them together, and hopefully being able to sit in them, it will help to either confirm my decision, or perhaps sway me towards another model. Like you, the 355 is stretching the budget, but I guess deals are there to be had over the next few months what with the double whammy of covid & brexit...

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

My GT4 is now 40 years old.

I love driving it, an absolute pleasure and have done many many miles on long European trips.

Name
    BenjaminBraddock

Quote Originally Posted by Roony View Post
    I'm approaching 15 years with my 328..... Time fly's......

You need to remember that these cars are getting close to 30 plus years old now and they will need refreshing, especially the undercarriage and suspension which seems to go unnoticed..

I've currently got my engine out and taking the opportunity to fully refurbish the engine bay, chassis and suspension. Its amazing how much better every thing cleans up.

I now only use mine for short journeys, the occasional 100mile jaunt but I would never take it any further as its not really that comfortable? You definitely need the air con as it gets hot and sticky in the cabin.

Its a thing of beauty and mostly sits in the garage......

They certainly are a thing of beauty Roony - a timeless classic like myself I like to think!

If you found it more comfortable, then would you feel confident it to drive it more than 100 miles? My understanding is that they are pretty reliable and its been said too earlier in this thread.. although I take it that that a fully functioning aircon is nice to have ..

How many labour hours are you looking at for the engine bay refurb? Does this include any engine work too?

Name
    BenjaminBraddock

Quote Originally Posted by phillg View Post
    Just remembered , changing from 1st to 2nd gear when cold is an issue. ( difficult to select ).
    I used to change from first to third until the temperature got to normal. Then it was perfect.
    ..ah yes I've heard this is a fairly common quirk!

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by 4200CC View Post
    ..ah yes I've heard this is a fairly common quirk!
    Never a problem with my GT4. And in my 6 years of ownership, before this strange year I have averaged 3K miles per year.

Buy it and drive it and enjoy.

Name
    Mark

It's just bizarre how some people are towards owners of nice cars, I've never got my head around the jealousy thing.. my experience in my Maserati has been that 40+ women speak to me at petrol stations about my car - its shame I didn't have it when I was younger and single
    For what it's worth, I think the reaction of others may depend on where you live and drive the car. I've never experienced anything negative in seven years with a red 360 Modena, including a couple of long Euro trips. The only reaction that perhaps could be seen as negative was a guy in an Audi S3 slowing down a bit then speeding off a few times in Slough, probably because he was used to feeling like king of the road until I rolled up behind him at some traffic lights The was more comical than annoying though.

I've never owned a 308/328 but I test drove a 328GTS a number of years ago and had no problems fitting in, although it was summer and the roof was off. I'm 6ft 0", medium build.

Name
    Rooony

Default 328

I've personally spent many hours on the engine bay.... But the difference is worth it.. removing the fuel tanks etc is simple and once painted they set the engine bay off.... i've had every item plated and have replaced every fuel/water hose etc along with other essentials

I've fully rebuilt the air con system with the help of Paul who is another member of the club...

Don't get me wrong I've done several 400 mile trips in the 328 and for the right journey I would do it again, The refurbed air con will help! For me a car is how it makes you feel and the 328 is a classic which gives me a sense of occasion...... thereafter every thing feels a bit more modern? and as such feels no better than my 997...

its been said before but when you need a lift, a visit to your garage to view your pride and joy does just that!

Take your time and pick the right car, Biggest maintenance cost is the belts every couple of years... 400

Personally I would buy from an enthusiast who can demonstrate how they have maintained/improved the car...

Hope that helps..

They certainly are a thing of beauty Roony - a timeless classic like myself I like to think!

If you found it more comfortable, then would you feel confident it to drive it more than 100 miles? My understanding is that they are pretty reliable and its been said too earlier in this thread.. although I take it that that a fully functioning aircon is nice to have ..

How many labour hours are you looking at for the engine bay refurb? Does this include any engine work too?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Roony; 16-10-2020 at 11:30 AM.

swnyradar is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    For what it's worth, I think the reaction of others may depend on where you live and drive the car. I've never experienced anything negative in seven years with a red 360 Modena, including a couple of long Euro trips. The only reaction that perhaps could be seen as negative was a guy in an Audi S3 slowing down a bit then speeding off a few times in Slough, probably because he was used to feeling like king of the road until I rolled up behind him at some traffic lights The was more comical than annoying though.

I've never owned a 308/328 but I test drove a 328GTS a number of years ago and had no problems fitting in, although it was summer and the roof was off. I'm 6ft 0", medium build.
    I often have experience strange behaviour on the motorway similar to this - last week on the way back from the CS meet I had 2 x separate instances of BMW's coming behind me, then flying past and slowing down to go back behind me on repeat for around 30 miles. I just ignore them and sit on cruise control at the same speed throughout which winds them up even more Probably less likely in an older model though

The only other bad experience was at a pub meet where a seriously drunk bloke was threateing to smash the 430 up for no other reason than jealousy. Horrible experience as I was in effect powerless - front up and he'd do it anyway, not react and take the chance, luckily he eventually walked.

Anyway, 99% of the time no problems and positive, with the usual questions - how much to the gallon, insurance cost, tyre cost and what job do you have

A348W is online now Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by swnyradar View Post
    I often have experience strange behaviour on the motorway similar to this - last week on the way back from the CS meet I had 2 x separate instances of BMW's coming behind me, then flying past and slowing down to go back behind me on repeat for around 30 miles. I just ignore them and sit on cruise control at the same speed throughout which winds them up even more Probably less likely in an older model though

The only other bad experience was at a pub meet where a seriously drunk bloke was threateing to smash the 430 up for no other reason than jealousy. Horrible experience as I was in effect powerless - front up and he'd do it anyway, not react and take the chance, luckily he eventually walked.

Anyway, 99% of the time no problems and positive, with the usual questions - how much to the gallon, insurance cost, tyre cost and what job do you have
    Odd you say that, Volvo XC90 that day on the way home, Audi S3 getting the car from DL and a Jag electric thing coming back from Brecon ("Apparently" its top speed is 120ish ) They are out there

Drop me your contact details and I can put you in touch with another 328 owner if you would like further input.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast