Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to you car photos

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Be careful bigging-up the technology on here there are many members who are still mourning the loss of cranking handles for keys, let alone start buttons and TFT screens

Only joking of course...

Each to their own, Mod, each to their own

I actually do like the tech, but only when it improves the enjoyment, not tech for tech's sake. Nice clear moving map for journeys Tech that means the car significantly 'helps' you drive or worse still takes over if it deems it necessary Actually I don't mind the 'helps you to drive' bit for longer journeys, I'd just prefer none of it to be there for blasts in the countryside.

I think the real difference between you and me (as an example of either sides of the 'argument') is I can see the fun in most modern tech but I can also see the fun in old school 'raw' cars. My perfect garage would have one of each, if Adrian ever got round to swapping out the 355 for a Cali/Portofino I think that'd just about do it for me.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 25-11-2020 at 09:59 AM.

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

Be careful bigging-up the technology on here there are many members who are still mourning the loss of cranking handles for keys, let alone start buttons and TFT screens

Only joking of course...
    Just be thankful that he's not telling us (these many members) yet again to put more miles on our cars. Not joking of course..........

Name
    Mark

I quite like the tech if the car is great to begin with. I hired a stupid Peugeot SUV type thing in Nice last year and other than the tech (similar to that described above) the car was utterly meaningless, a small nothing car in big clothes. The Portofino on the other hand is a different story altogether

A348W is offline I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post

I actually do like the tech, but only when it improves the enjoyment, not tech for tech's sake. Nice clear moving map for journeys Tech that means the car significantly 'helps' you drive or worse still takes over if it deems it necessary Actually I don't mind the 'helps you to drive' bit for longer journeys, I'd just prefer none of it to be there for blasts in the countryside.

I think the real difference between you and me (as an example of either sides of the 'argument') is I can see the fun in most modern tech but I can also see the fun in old school 'raw' cars. My perfect garage would have one of each, if Adrian ever got round to swapping out the 355 for a Cali/Portofino I think that'd just about do it for me.
    Close, but Iíd hope to look at an 812 gts if they head the way v12s seem to do! (A long term ambition for sure).

As an aside I dislike all the drivers aids Iíve experienced; even the now ďbasicĒ stuff of collision warning on the bosses mini. I really donít need the car beeping at me when driving down country lanes and cars/tractors/etc pass going the other way! They are by in larger dangerous in my view as they give a false impression of reducing the requirement of the driver to pay attention and drive. Stuff like the birds eye view of parking sensors is I think cool though!

A348W is offline I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Close, but Iíd hope to look at an 812 gts if they head the way v12s seem to do! (A long term ambition for sure).

As an aside I dislike all the drivers aids Iíve experienced; even the now ďbasicĒ stuff of collision warning on the bosses mini. I really donít need the car beeping at me when driving down country lanes and cars/tractors/etc pass going the other way! They are by in larger dangerous in my view as they give a false impression of reducing the requirement of the driver to pay attention and drive. Stuff like the birds eye view of parking sensors is I think cool though!

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Whats your favourite example of a piece of tech you actually despise and vice versa which piece of historical automotive enjoyment do you genuinely miss?

Example: I don't like fake noise attenuators and I genuinely miss the old Police vs. Cameras

wheels1 is offline Remember the Alamo! Club Member
    Name
    Grant

That's a very close match Ryan. You just need to get the roof wrapped now to Match you Cali T.
    I also swapped my 812 for this in the summer, great spec. but more importantly it came with a Capristo X pipe and rear box's and remote for the valves, it puts a grin on my face every time I dive it.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by wheels1; 25-11-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Whats your favourite example of a piece of tech you actually despise and vice versa which piece of historical automotive enjoyment do you genuinely miss?

Example: I don't like fake noise attenuators and I genuinely miss the old Police vs. Cameras
    I don't think I really despise any modern tech as such, just not sure some of it adds to the enjoyment of driving. Some of it, if it makes driving easier and more relaxing, I quite like if I'm 'travelling' just not really if I'm out for a fun blast. Most modern driving aids probably fall into this bracket for me. I just don't want or need them when pressing on down a country lane and the fact they are there would only allow me to go faster than was really sensible. In fact I'd undoubtedly have to go faster to get the same 'buzz' - I do agree with the adage that it's more fun to drive a slow car quickly than a quick car slowly........ to a point at least.

Miss is a difficult one as my 348 is pretty basic but if I was pressed to choose something it'd be more in the tinkering department than the driving one as she feels pretty basic to drive. Cleaning and balancing carbs perhaps? In an old car you always felt you could positively effect how the car ran with a bit of tinkering, these days the ECU pretty much does it for you. There's only so many times I can 'balance' the MAFs and clean all the electrical connections before I concede that it makes bugger all difference to how the car runs

I think it goes back to what I said before - "Each to their own". As Ron alluded to (if alluded is the right term in this instance.....) I quite enjoy my car even when I'm not driving her. Tinckering, cleaning, polishing, and sad as it may seem, just looking at her. It's all part of the ownership experience and enjoyment as far as I'm concerned and I quite like the fact she's not the sort of car you can just jump in and drive every day if you want. If I did I'm not sure (for me) it would feel as special. But it really is each to their own - for those who just want to jump in, turn the key (or push the button or maybe say a password or whatever they come up with next) have everything always work and just drive an easy to live with modern car as many days as they can, all power to them. We all enjoy our motors in different ways
    Last edited by Nosevi; 25-11-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by wheels1 View Post
    That's a very close match Ryan. You just need to get the roof wrapped now to Match you Cali T.
    I also swapped my 812 for this in the summer, great spec. but more importantly it came with a Capristo X pipe and rear box's and remote for the valves, it puts a grin on my face every time I dive it.
    Tell us about the change whatís better what do you miss from the 812

wheels1 is offline Remember the Alamo! Club Member
    Name
    Grant

Not a lot really, the gear changes were instant on the 812 and are just a bit slower on the F12, what I don't miss is the 812 nervousness, when going slowly on country roads it was very hard to keep in a straight line and wandered all over the place, the F12 is nowhere near as bad but I do have Michelin tyres on it. Also the bumpy mode ride quality is far better in the F12, in the 812 it was hard to tell much difference with it on.
    When I got back into the F12 after owning one in 2016 it was like putting on an old shoe and I felt very at home.
    The high pitched wail of the Capristo exhaust on the F12 is amazing.
    Over all the F12 is a great machine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast