Thread: Started looking for a Porsche Carrera GT and ended up with a ...

Name
    Boxer

Default Started looking for a Porsche Carrera GT and ended up with a ...

Just posted a new blog on what happened this year when we went looking to buy a Porsche Carrera GT:

https://karenable.com

Also finished some upgrades on karenable.com and its now back on line. We added a site search function and an email system to send notifications when new blogs are posted. Sign up for the newletter/emails is on the bottom of the home page.

Comments?

A348W is offline I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Nice one; welcome to the yachting fraternity; and much more civilised than a stink boat (aka motor boat!).

She looks like she will be very comfortable.

In no way intended to teach anybody to suck eggs....as an aside and having just come out of 15 years ownership of a Swan 441; please do ensure that you have all the relevant safety kit/ training. I know the Americans do things slightly differently, so I would strongly recommend you have her kitted out to UK standards (MGN 280), if she isn't already. Similarly if you are sailing shorthanded. I would also recommend that you each have a personal locator beacon and physically practise man overboard drills (using a fender off course! ). We have had a lot of fantastic trips on our Swan (Stockholm archipelago being the best by miles), but even though I've worked in the marine industry all my life, its still surprising how quickly it can all go wrong, even in benign conditions, and without the right kit/ training it can easily end up without that sundowner on the deck!

Looking forward to hearing your exploits and a post this time next year with a comparison on ownership experience of a supercar VS yacht would be interesting. I think with a few more pictures like you posted I'll be tempted back into yacht ownership sooner than I was planning

Fair winds
    Adrian

PS best purchase we ever made for the boat = a set of crystal wine glasses and tumblers. Cant beat drinking a nice bottle of something out of crystal tucked up in a secluded little anchorage

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Congrats on the new purchase

I was lucky enough to learn to sail down in Gosport at the Joint Services Adventurous Sail Training Centre which operated Victoria 34s and Nicholson 55s - very much 'man-draulic' vessels, not an electric winch in sight and if the wind strength changed you changed the sail rather than furling anything. In fact I seem to remember them getting us to change the sails even when the wind didn't seem to change much ........ Anyway, was a good way to learn and when my parents later got a sail boat (my Dad held an RYA Yacht Master Offshore qualification) I learnt a fair amount from him. Only ever owned a little 'pocket cruiser' myself which I sailed mostly off the coast of Spain. Anyway totally understand the appeal of getting away from it all out on the water, particularly at the moment. If only I didn't live well inland and only near one of the most uninspiring coastlines imaginable I probably wouldn't have a Ferrari in the garage, I'd have a sailboat in a marina.

Enjoy it and look forward to reading about your exploits at sea

Name
    Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Nice one; welcome to the yachting fraternity; and much more civilised than a stink boat (aka motor boat!).

She looks like she will be very comfortable.

In no way intended to teach anybody to suck eggs....as an aside and having just come out of 15 years ownership of a Swan 441; please do ensure that you have all the relevant safety kit/ training. I know the Americans do things slightly differently, so I would strongly recommend you have her kitted out to UK standards (MGN 280), if she isn't already. Similarly if you are sailing shorthanded. I would also recommend that you each have a personal locator beacon and physically practise man overboard drills (using a fender off course! ). We have had a lot of fantastic trips on our Swan (Stockholm archipelago being the best by miles), but even though I've worked in the marine industry all my life, its still surprising how quickly it can all go wrong, even in benign conditions, and without the right kit/ training it can easily end up without that sundowner on the deck!

Looking forward to hearing your exploits and a post this time next year with a comparison on ownership experience of a supercar VS yacht would be interesting. I think with a few more pictures like you posted I'll be tempted back into yacht ownership sooner than I was planning

Fair winds
    Adrian

PS best purchase we ever made for the boat = a set of crystal wine glasses and tumblers. Cant beat drinking a nice bottle of something out of crystal tucked up in a secluded little anchorage
    Your advise on the safety equipment is spot on and we have invested heavily in it. The man overboard drills were definitely something worth doing. On the things going wrong, I have vivid memories of just how fast it happens from my youth. Had a couple of very close calls then.

achaddy is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

I thought the great cork debate was much more interesting than talking about a sea sick inducing bath tub