Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Hairiest Ferrari & Supercar Moments

Name
    Boxer

Default My Hairiest Ferrari & Supercar Moments

I just posted up a new blog chronicling the hairiest moments I've had in a range of supercars over the years including the Ferrari F40, McLaren 675LT Spider, Ferrari 365BB & 512BB, Mosler MT900S, and Porsche 911 (993) Turbo:

https://karenable.com/my-hairiest-supercar-moments/

Comments?

What have been yours?

A348W is offline I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Always great to hear about other peoples experiences, thanks for posting up

My Ferrari owning days haven't been many so not a huge number of "interesting" moments, although general driving mayhem has been long and varied having grown up in the country side in Canada. That said, not long after getting the 348 I did take it backwards around a roundabout, being a) to enthusiastic on the loud pedal, b) having very old and hence hard tyres and c) running way out of talent! The SUV I ended up face on the roundabout was far more surprised than my friend's wife I was taking for a spin at the time...literally as it turns out Lessons in talent and tyre dates learnt; and that my friend's wife is fairly unflappable!

I would like to hear more about your thoughts on the 512BB, a poster car for me and as prices seem to be coming my way at the moment...

Name
    Gordon

My moments have been when I've not been expecting it, not pushing that hard - I remember my drive home with the 550 after I'd bought it, and on a wet 2-lane roundabout in January the back end came right round even with the TC on, which rather grabbed the attention of both me and the guy in the Vectra next to me that had no issues with grip...

The TC really allows a decent bit of slip before reigning in the power - unlike other cars I've got where the TC reigns the power immediately

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

The worst I have had was a tank slapper changing gear in the wet and I wasnt even trying hard. Pirelli tyres were changed to pilot supersports so problem fixed. My passenger thought I was showing off doing quote "Power Slides"

If you want a nasty surprise drive an old 911 When the engine isnt running dont think its idle ....... its quietly thinking about a new way or trying to kill you. Throw in a plate type LSD and you will be 1) Be amazed at how much grip the back has in a standing start, quickly followed by 2) How little grip the front has.

Also an elise in the snow is interesting !! I slowly overtook a eurobox on the motorway and whilst negotiating the wall of snow as I changed lanes I managed to spin the car two complete revolutions but stay in the middle lane

Name
    Gordon

A reliability-related issue was one of the radiator fan fuses blowing (without me being aware, as I very rarely encounter traffic), and wondering why the water temp gauge climbed to the red whilst stuck in Friday night traffic waiting to cross the Forth road bridge.

One fan was still working, which I could hear running, which just kept it under the red until the traffic cleared and I could move in free air again. It was a proper worrying moment as I was mentally calculating the cost to fix an overheated V12...

Name:  20151030_173802.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  21.3 KB

Name
    Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post

I would like to hear more about your thoughts on the 512BB, a poster car for me and as prices seem to be coming my way at the moment...
    I still have a big soft spot for the 512BB. Even thinking about buying my original one back as it just came up for sale. Great long distance cruiser & wonderfully mechanical to listen to. Here's a article I put together on the 2 BBs a while ago: https://karenable.com/memories-of-a-...errari-boxers/

sweeni is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    I still have a big soft spot for the 512BB. Even thinking about buying my original one back as it just came up for sale. Great long distance cruiser & wonderfully mechanical to listen to. Here's a article I put together on the 2 BBs a while ago: https://karenable.com/memories-of-a-...errari-boxers/
    Love the article on the BB's, a car I always longed to own. Looked at getting one to replace my 308 about 12 years ago but they were just a tad too expensive for me and ended up with a 550, a car I still have an adore.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Name
    Ian

Ive had a few exiting moments over my 18 years with my 355.
    Quite early on in my ownership I was going up a narrow one way road, went around a slow second gear corner, bit of throttle coming out, then suddenly lost the back end to such an extent that I was almost staring straight at the hedge.( I discovered a cluster of large damp manhole covers there later) You probably needed to be there to appreciate it but road was not much wider than the car was long and I was almost instantly resigned to the fact that there was going to be a trip to the body shop to repair one or both ends.
    Surprisingly I managed to keep it out of the hedges but it was so so close, probably the only time the 355s light power steering was an advantage.

Another moment was on a dry sunny winters morning on a fast A road. Probably travelling a bit too quick but the car was going well on what seemed to be a road made for it. All was well with the world until I entered a long fast corner and found the road completely covered in snow apart from two thin tyre tracks. Probably only a few seconds but it seemed an eternity before I came to clear road again.
    I understand the term eyes on stalks now.

Name
    cgt

Mine was in a 355 too, late 90s. Before the days of speed cameras there was a great piece of road, basically a long long straight of several miles with forest on either side. So early one Sunday morning I decided to see what the 355 could do. From memory it was quite a big speed, problem was approaching the end of the straight the brakes appeared to do nothing. Very hairy indeed, and I was a young lad with pretty much all the money I had at the time tied up in the car. Just managed to get stopped before oblivion.

Subsequently discovered just how crap 355 brakes were. Stainless brake hoses, DOT 5 fluid and better pads/discs always from that point on. To be honest until ceramics came along most Ferrari brakes were rubbish compared to steel Porsche brakes.

Oh and on the snow theme actually one of my best Ferrari experiences was in the snow. I picked up my 348 GTS from my dear friend Mike Lester at Rardley (RIP) on an arranged date. That morning an absolutely huge dump of snow in Surrey. Nothing focuses the mind like no grip, no power steering, no traction control, sub zero temperatures and a squeaky targa roof that leaked. But it was a lot of fun.
    Last edited by cgt; 11-12-2020 at 09:08 PM.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

I suppose I have been lucky, or not driving hard enough!. But then I have only owned my 308 GT4 for 6 1/2 years and it has nowhere near the power of the more modern cars but still enough to need to be treated with some respect.

Like Scott - my hairiest moment relates to rain. About 6 years ago I was driving up the M4 to the FOC concours in the aftermath of whatever it was hurricane had reached the UK. The rain was torrential, but only having owned the car for a year and this being my first concours in it I was determined to go. And then somewhere around Bicester the rain got even heavier and what before had seemed torrential now seemed like a light shower in comparison. I had been going about 60mph but now I could feel the car aquaplaning and moving in all sorts of unpredictable directions. So I then tucked in behind an HGV which was doing a reasonable job of clearing the surface water, trying to follow its tracks, but I was still aquaplaning at 30 mph and the HGV in front was pulling away and another was was right up my rear. Quite scary. I eventually pulled off at Banbury and waited 30 mins until the rain abated a bit.

The only time I have really lost the car was on a D road in France. The road had recently been regritted but probably a few weeks earlier and the surface was pretty clear so I motored on at a reasonable rate until I came to a corner where there was gravel over half of my carriageway. The back end slid out dramatically and I had to apply pretty much full opposite lock to avoid going into the ditch which I narrowly avoided. Others in the same group I was with said it looked very dramatic but it certainly gave me a wake up call!

I've had a couple of emergency brake application moments with deer jumping out in front of me one of which just stood and looked at me as I left rubber marks on the tarmac.

I agree with your Scott. The Furka is scary!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast