Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: My Hairiest Ferrari & Supercar Moments

  1. #11
    Johnny V8's Avatar
    Johnny V8 is offline Pink pimped up Vauxhall Corsa Club Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Uxbridge
    Name
    John Morgan
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    I would like to hear more about your thoughts on the 512BB, a poster car for me and as prices seem to be coming my way at the moment...
    You Tuber Ratarossa has just purchased a 512BB that had been stood outside on a drive way for 12 years... should be interesting.

    Not a super car but I had an ex police Sunbeam Tiger and every journey in the wet was a bit hairy

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Name
    Boxer
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny V8 View Post
    You Tuber Ratarossa has just purchased a 512BB that had been stood outside on a drive way for 12 years... should be interesting.
    That should qualify as financially terrifying.

  3. #13
    A348W's Avatar
    A348W is offline I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    North Wiltshire
    Name
    Adrian
    Posts
    990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    I still have a big soft spot for the 512BB. Even thinking about buying my original one back as it just came up for sale. Great long distance cruiser & wonderfully mechanical to listen to. Here's a article I put together on the 2 BBs a while ago: https://karenable.com/memories-of-a-...errari-boxers/
    Thanks for posting the link up. I know somebody with a 512i, think I need to twist their arm for a drive at some stage. Lots of choices for toys, but not enough cash for one of each, so will need to decide carefully.

    I saw the rattaroso guy picked up that white on; I donít really follow him but Iím sure whatever approach is taken that will make any bank managerís eyes water!

  4. #14
    francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    S. England, but Scottish!
    Name
    Francis Newman
    Posts
    16,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Thanks for posting the link up. I know somebody with a 512i, think I need to twist their arm for a drive at some stage. Lots of choices for toys, but not enough cash for one of each, so will need to decide carefully.

    I saw the rattaroso guy picked up that white on; I donít really follow him but Iím sure whatever approach is taken that will make any bank managerís eyes water!
    I've known Scot (Ratarossa guy) well for about 15 years and he lives just a few miles from me. I need to go and have a look at the 512. He did a good job getting it as when I saw him a few months ago he told me the owner had turned down loads of offers and was adamant he wasn't going to sell it.

  5. #15
    Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    north west
    Name
    CPD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    I just posted up a new blog chronicling the hairiest moments I've had in a range of supercars over the years including the Ferrari F40, McLaren 675LT Spider, Ferrari 365BB & 512BB, Mosler MT900S, and Porsche 911 (993) Turbo:

    https://karenable.com/my-hairiest-supercar-moments/

    Comments?

    What have been yours?
    Great memories:

    Once had a Ďmomentí in my first 456GT in which we had set off for an epic three week family adventure around Europe. No plan except to get to Italy and rendezvous a couple of weeks later at the Tomatina festival in Bunyol in Spain. Driving a mountain pass into Italy everyone was asleep in the car except me driving obviously so I was making swift but unhurried progress. As I descended from what was a great road the rain came down and I adjusted the speed to suit. Came around a long sweeper of a bend and clocked the tell tail black rainbow of a sizeable diesel spill which started a huge slide whose corrections (three in the end) had the car fish-tailing in slow motion as I gently brought it under control and to a virtual stop. The family all woke up as the drama ended and my eldest who was about 10 at the time asked ďwhat was that?Ē

    ďOh nothingĒ I said with a thumping chest and drive gingerly for the next 10miles or so until I saw the offending truck at a gas station where I happily pointed out his missing fuel cap in robust terms!!!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Name
    Mario
    Posts
    20

    Default

    The hairiest thing that happened to me in my old Mondial was one time I was on the M25 going towards KHPC for a routine service when I looked in the mirror and saw a huge black/grey cloud of smoke billowing out of the engine deck I didn't see any problems on the dashboard with any of the indicators and there was no loss of power or anything from the car suggesting a major fault. I pulled over to find out that one of the rear drive shaft gaiters had split and the centrifugal force had thrown its grease all over the exhaust manifold which resulted in the smoke. For a few seconds I thought that's it gonna be an engine fire or rebuild.

    The other time also exhaust related was when one of the manifold pipes had sheared clean off the pipe just forward of the silencer of box which resulted in me driving the car home almost having to wear ear defenders.
    Last edited by mario308; 14-12-2020 at 11:51 AM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Name
    Boxer
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mario308 View Post
    The hairiest thing that happened to me in my old Mondial was one time I was on the M25 going towards KHPC for a routine service when I looked in the mirror and saw a huge black/grey cloud of smoke billowing out of the engine deck I didn't see any problems on the dashboard with any of the indicators and there was no loss of power or anything from the car suggesting a major fault. I pulled over to find out that one of the rear drive shaft gaiters had split and the centrifugal force had thrown its grease all over the exhaust manifold which resulted in the smoke. For a few seconds I thought that's it gonna be an engine fire or rebuild.

    The other time also exhaust related was when one of the manifold pipes had sheared clean off the pipe just forward of the silencer of box which resulted in me driving the car home almost having to wear ear defenders.
    I had a manifold pipe free itself on a M535i once. My god was it loud.

  8. #18
    Allandwf is offline Essex boy's Ford Capri Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Angus, Scotland
    Name
    Allan Fisher
    Posts
    146

    Default Hairiest Moment

    Here is mine, from a few years back. Made it, was on the A9, not a drive I would like to repeat! lolName:  TVR Snow.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  47.1 KB

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Name
    Boxer
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allandwf View Post
    Here is mine, from a few years back. Made it, was on the A9, not a drive I would like to repeat! lolName:  TVR Snow.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  47.1 KB
    I cant think of a much scarier car to drive in the snow. Maybe a Viper?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Henley on Thames
    Name
    Mark Blanchard
    Posts
    22

    Default

    About 18 years ago, I had just taken ownership of my Lotus Esprit and was driving along the A30, not far from Maranello Concessionaires. I hadn't driven a mid engined car before and thought I would see what the car could do at the traffic lights. Well the roads were damp and unsurprisingly as I put my foot down the rear end lost it and the car did a 90 degree spin. Fortunately there were no other cars around so no damage done, except to my ego.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Stunning Olypmic Moments
    By jtremlett in forum Motorsport and Sport
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-07-2012, 11:20 PM
  2. 50 great gazza moments
    By trax in forum Motorsport and Sport
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 02:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •