Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Sacrilege or now acceptable modding?

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Default More Sacrilege or now acceptable modding?

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

I don't think it's 'sacrilege' in the same way as doing something like 'stancing' it would be which just looks stupid imo, but I slightly struggle to see the point. If you don't want a car which drives like a 308 the simple solution is don't buy a 308. Saying it's all about the feel of driving the car as opposed to a modern car, mentioning the feel through your hands, yet saying it has to have electric power steering due to wider tyres is a salesman talking because there's no way it's going to feel like a non-power assisted car.

I think it's less pretty with the widened arches and slightly odd engine cover, has less of a feel of history to it, and for me it'd be far less appealing than a standard 308.

If you have a 308 and want to do something like this then crack on, it's your car. But if you're going to take away the 'classic-ness' of a classic car you might as well base it on a modern chassis.

A348W is offline I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Its an interesting one.

Personally I'm not keen on modding these cars per say; more those that destroy the intent of the cars, e.g. air ride systems and 20 zillion inch rims that destroy the handling etc.

But modifications like this where its improving the original intent of the car, e.g. performance, handling, etc. and done properly with taste I actually like. Wouldn't want the bill though!
    Last edited by A348W; 05-01-2021 at 12:23 PM.

Name
    Mark

I like that, apart from the engine cover and daft wheel arches. I've been looking at alternatives to our wide, low Modena should we buy a home in a hilly/mountainous region of Italy. As and when that happens we may consider the 308/328 as a solid dependable option, being smaller and with better ground clearance. I'd certainly consider some modifications such as a more modern wheel/tyre combo and 360 brakes although I'd like the mods to be reversible.

So I do think there's room for modification but there's a fine balance between 'great' and spoiling a car.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

One of the downsides of owning a Ferrari is that once modified its regarded as "spoilt" and this really hits the resale value. Its also more difficult to improve as Ferraris are a bit more performance orientated that a euro box . I therefore wont do much to any Ferrari I own apart from a better exhaust. I really enjoy modifying and tinkering hence the downside.

However other marques seem to be OK with mods, so I can get my modifying "fix". My Elise has wider wheels, redesigned suspension uprights, quick rack, rose jointed suspension, bigger brakes, better shocks, bigger radiator, supercharged/intercooled 450 BHP civic type R engine and box with LSD. In fact the only thing thats standard is most of the bodywork It still weighs about the same as a packet of crisps and has no driver aids at all = very scary

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    So I do think there's room for modification but there's a fine balance between 'great' and spoiling a car.
    I can certainly see the point in improving the brakes if you're buying in the mountains in Italy . Like you say, fine balance but safety items can't ever really be 'wrong'. Just seems like the guy who's commissioned this doesn't actually want a classic Ferrari, at least not a car which drives like one.

His car, his choice, but when I see things like this I can't really get my head around why you'd do it. You want something which takes you back - buy a classic. You want something modern - get a truly modern car. This sort of does neither particularly. I have no idea how much the engine work alone would set you back but with all those mods you've got to be pushing 458 money to buy a 308 and have all that done to it.

Sorry, as I said, just can't see the point.

Name
    Mark Blanchard

I don't mind it, even the Michelotto rear arches. And I guess it could be put back to the original spec, although at great time and cost. I remember back in the 1980s every BB you saw had a Zender body kit fitted. They looked good for 5 or 6 minutes in 1981, but dated very quickly. Most of the BB's have been put back to the original spec thank goodness.

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

It’s a difficult one because many of these shops used to be bankrolled by long drawn out restorations where owners would pay twice over again (strip and rebuild) for a car they already had. The size of some of the bills is probably not relevant if you want to stick it in a static collection or take it to a pony show like Salon Prive or Pebble beach.

The issue these small independent shops have is that the dealerships are busy clawing back cars into their workshops and the service included nature of modern ferrari ownership along with increasing leasing means owners cannot live with maybe’s on costs and outcomes. Hence the fixed menu servicing and restoration / upgrade work that most indies are embracing.

The factory is soon going to have a lot of highly skilled idle hands when the F1 spending cap starts to bite so what do we think is going to happen to things like the classiche program. Easy to see how the mothership will want to claw back more of its potential work.

From the owners perspective today’s classic buyers are starting to break the old taboos and no matter how long you wait to own a classic ferrari if on the first serious trip it’s brakes fade worse than the Ford Fiesta you had as a 17 year old you will either move it on or likely commission work like this. No one would dream of keeping ‘period correct’ tyres if they were actually into driving so why not suspension, brakes, electrics etc.

Restomodding is clearly more than a dead end and I think even the factory will be on it sooner or later.

Thought:

Some people hate the idea of cosmetic surgery in all its forms but many have embraced it and use it in their old age to feel good about themselves. It’s a billion $ business...

Is this the automotive equivalent?
    Last edited by Modificato; 06-01-2021 at 10:53 AM.

Name
    GQ

and they still use the cheap, unreliable and inaccessible oil pressure sender!

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    From the owners perspective today’s classic buyers are starting to break the old taboos and no matter how long you wait to own a classic ferrari if on the first serious trip it’s brakes fade worse than the Ford Fiesta you had as a 17 year old you will either move it on or likely commission work like this. No one would dream of keeping ‘period correct’ tyres if they were actually into driving so why not suspension, brakes, electrics etc.
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Some people hate the idea of cosmetic surgery in all its forms but many have embraced it and use it in their old age to feel good about themselves. It’s a billion $ business...

Is this the automotive equivalent?
    It's a good analogy. Just as long as we don't use Stallone's mum (now late mum so forgive if in poor taste) as a benchmark eh?

And those arches are horrible on a car that's not built to blast through the forest on a rally stage. It looks like they gave a kid some sheet steel and tin snips and suggested they try their hand at DIY bodywork.
    Last edited by Kyodo; 06-01-2021 at 12:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast