Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Sacrilege or now acceptable modding?

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

I'm all for anything that makes a car more usable - upgraded fans, cooling, brakes etc. I wouldn't change the engine, nor would I change the looks drastically.

I like mechanical things, I like character. But if that character stopped me from using the thing, then I'd get it sorted

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    I'm all for anything that makes a car more usable - upgraded fans, cooling, brakes etc. I wouldn't change the engine, nor would I change the looks drastically.

I like mechanical things, I like character. But if that character stopped me from using the thing, then I'd get it sorted
    I pretty much agree with this and my GT4 has modern fans, upgraded electrics and a couple of other non standard bits as it just makes the car more reliable and usable. However I don't feel that I need any more power and although I use the car a lot I've never found the brakes to be less than adequate and I like the feedback from the non power assisted steering even though it is hard work at low speeds and when parking etc. Although my boring daily driver is just as quick it is nowhere nearly as much fun. I can sensibly drive my GT4 pretty much as fast as it will go and the road will allow without getting into really serious trouble with the law, much as the car was originally designed to do.

If I wanted go faster I would buy a more modern Ferrari and would probably never get the chance to drive it to its limit on the public road.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    From the owners perspective today’s classic buyers are starting to break the old taboos and no matter how long you wait to own a classic ferrari if on the first serious trip it’s brakes fade worse than the Ford Fiesta you had as a 17 year old you will either move it on or likely commission work like this. No one would dream of keeping ‘period correct’ tyres if they were actually into driving so why not suspension, brakes, electrics etc.

Restomodding is clearly more than a dead end and I think even the factory will be on it sooner or later.
    I'm sort of with you, Mod, I guess I think there's a fine line between making a car more useable yet maintaining it's character and stepping over that line where it no longer has the classic feel of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post

And those arches are horrible on a car that's not built to blast through the forest on a rally stage. It looks like they gave a kid some sheet steel and tin snips and suggested they try their hand at DIY bodywork.
    Agree totally.

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    I pretty much agree with this and my GT4 has modern fans, upgraded electrics and a couple of other non standard bits as it just makes the car more reliable and usable. However I don't feel that I need any more power and although I use the car a lot I've never found the brakes to be less than adequate and I like the feedback from the non power assisted steering even though it is hard work at low speeds and when parking etc. Although my boring daily driver is just as quick it is nowhere nearly as much fun. I can sensibly drive my GT4 pretty much as fast as it will go and the road will allow without getting into really serious trouble with the law, much as the car was originally designed to do.

If I wanted go faster I would buy a more modern Ferrari and would probably never get the chance to drive it to its limit on the public road.
    This is where I am I think. My car isn't original spec in that it has modern high flow cats, unrestricted exhaust, few minor electrics tweaks, drilled pedals and the like.......... but it still feels like a 348.

I could even get my head around this if you loved the look of the 308 but really didn't like the driving feel of a classic un-assisted Ferrari. But to change the feel then 'update' the look seems a bit odd.

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

...totally with you on the flares thing I don't think they work.

Name
    Si

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Fantastic!

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

I really like it...... [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    I really like it......
    Hmm... Not being a F-Car owner, gated or otherwise, I'm not sure we can trust your judgement

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Hmm... Not being a F-Car owner, gated or otherwise, I'm not sure we can trust your judgement

A348W is offline I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

I think we should have a good old wholesome Witch hunt and hound him out

Just kidding; but if your camper van holds me up....

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

F-car! Now I know you’re joking!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12