Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leather recolour?

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Default Leather recolour?

In no way made my mind up but have thought about recolouring my interior cream leather from cream to tan. Love the look of the interior but I'll be honest, it's a pain the backside to keep clean. Jeans mark it straight away and while I think slightly marked black or tan looks ok (and often hardly shows anyway), for some reason I don't think marked light cream does.

So firstly anyone have thoughts on the merits or otherwise of doing this and secondly has anyone actually done it?

Have always used Liquid Leather (current seats need constant 'touch ups' to keep them looking good) and been pretty impressed. Are there other options out there?

Does everything need to come out of the car or can some parts be done in situ?

Current cream is pretty light and my understanding is going to a darker colour is fine, coming back the other way probably won't be though.

Name:  int1.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  50.1 KB

Name:  int2.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  47.8 KB

Name
    ian

I used liquid leather stuff on my 348 ..wish I hadn't...you have to avoid the stitching which is not easy..I ended up buying new leather from Martrim for 600 quid and paying 350 to have the seats etc. Recovered..

A348W is online now I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

If you do, why not sell those to me and take mine and redie them

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshirelad View Post
    I used liquid leather stuff on my 348 ..wish I hadn't...you have to avoid the stitching which is not easy..I ended up buying new leather from Martrim for 600 quid and paying 350 to have the seats etc. Recovered..
    I've never really had that issue to be honest. I specified the stitching had to be the same colour as the leather so when I touch up marks etc any Liquid Leather which gets on the thread just wipes off and doesn't show at all.

Does bring up one issue though - the stitching is cream so any recolour would have to colour the stitching as well which may or may not be an issue.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    If you do, why not sell those to me and take mine and redie them
    Tempting......... but think I'll pass

irarref is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

Not used this particular product (used som eof theiir other stuff though and very good) but why not try this:

https://www.gtechniq.co.uk/shop/auto...ther-guard-ab/

I wouldnt reccomend a colour change but if you do youll need to take the seats out, doors apart etc as you will be bound to get colour on the carpet etc

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Almost impossible to do well.

Like painting over wall paper.

I only ever had one cream interior for six months - it was a nightmare for the same reason.

Have never understood why itís supposed to be the Ďclassicí combo either.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by irarref View Post
    Not used this particular product (used som eof theiir other stuff though and very good) but why not try this:

https://www.gtechniq.co.uk/shop/auto...ther-guard-ab/

I wouldnt reccomend a colour change but if you do youll need to take the seats out, doors apart etc as you will be bound to get colour on the carpet etc
    Cheers Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Almost impossible to do well.

Like painting over wall paper.

I only ever had one cream interior for six months - it was a nightmare for the same reason.

Have never understood why itís supposed to be the Ďclassicí combo either.
    I think people go for it because when new it looks good, Iíve kept mine like new and people alway say it looks fantastic. From this period red and tan is more common worldwide than red and cream. Red and cream is more of a UK thing but itís still what buyers often go for, just one of those things.

Iíll have a think on it. The fact keeping it looking perfect is a hassle might actually be a moot point - my wife has said she prefers the look of cream ..........

A348W is online now I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    The fact keeping it looking perfect is a hassle might actually be a moot point - my wife has said she prefers the look of cream ..........
    I think the decision has been made for you

Besides yours looks so good, so why tempt fate with trying to dye it and potentially ruining it?

If you are that keen on a tan interior I'd just keep my eyes out for a second hand one; might be more expensive than dye, but will be a lot less heart ache than if the dye goes wrong! Alternatively, just get another Ferrari with a tan interior...fair few around here who could help with the man maths

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

How does the cream get tatty on a garage ornament?

I thought you would have had to actually use it for that to be an issue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast