Name
    Jeff

Problem solved for £3.20 :-)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Men-s-whi...AAAOSwwRZf909a

No affiliation BTW ;-')

Name
    paul

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    How does the cream get tatty on a garage ornament?

I thought you would have had to actually use it for that to be an issue

Name
    paul

seriously though, i would leave alone from re dying darker you will never be happy with the outcome, its normally just me driving so i just throw a towel or blanket on the seat before parking my ass down in jeans to eliminate dye and scratches in the leather, job sorted

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    I think the decision has been made for you

Besides yours looks so good, so why tempt fate with trying to dye it and potentially ruining it?

If you are that keen on a tan interior I'd just keep my eyes out for a second hand one; might be more expensive than dye, but will be a lot less heart ache than if the dye goes wrong! Alternatively, just get another Ferrari with a tan interior...fair few around here who could help with the man maths
    Yep, you're probably right about the decision being made for me. Was kidding myself that I had a say in it.........

Quite like the idea of interchangeable interiors though

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    How does the cream get tatty on a garage ornament?

I thought you would have had to actually use it for that to be an issue
    Harsh.......... but essentially fair

Quote Originally Posted by milkshaker0007 View Post
    seriously though, i would leave alone from re dying darker you will never be happy with the outcome, its normally just me driving so i just throw a towel or blanket on the seat before parking my ass down in jeans to eliminate dye and scratches in the leather, job sorted
    I've actually got an original seat cover (red with black Cavallino) I can use, just looks a bit poncey having a seat cover on to drive the car.

I think I'll probably just put up with it and either keep them looking immaculate or let them go a bit. I guess it only takes a few minutes to clean / touch up marks and it's not like I don't have the time to do it.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

My GT4 has crema leather. It was originally tan (probably with the felt inserts) and was originally retrimmed in crema leather way back in 1990. It does look nice but agree it is a pain to keep clean. First thing is that I never wear jeans in it. I don't actually possess any jeans - chinos being my choice.

I normally clean with plain soap (no perfume etc additives) which works well. I have some touchup paint which I bought from Mark Wibberly at More Than Polish ( had to send him a small patch of leather to match it) and occasionally I touch up using a small airbrush which runs of a can of compressed air. I have twice had the whole driver seat professionally repainted - wasn't that expensive - the second time about 3 years ago with new leather on the bolster next to the driver door which obviously gets the most wear as you slide in and out.

I don't mind a bit of patina - ie the leather getting a bit shiny - but I agree I don't like it dirty. I just budget say £100 per year to get it sorted when it gets too bad

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    My GT4 has crema leather. It was originally tan (probably with the felt inserts) and was originally retrimmed in crema leather way back in 1990. It does look nice but agree it is a pain to keep clean. First thing is that I never wear jeans in it. I don't actually possess any jeans - chinos being my choice.

I normally clean with plain soap (no perfume etc additives) which works well. I have some touchup paint which I bought from Mark Wibberly at More Than Polish ( had to send him a small patch of leather to match it) and occasionally I touch up using a small airbrush which runs of a can of compressed air. I have twice had the whole driver seat professionally repainted - wasn't that expensive - the second time about 43 years ago with new leather on the bolster next to the driver door which obviously gets the most wear as you slide in and out.

I don't mind a bit of patina - ie the leather getting a bit shiny - but I agree I don't like it dirty. I just budget say £100 per year to get it sorted when it gets too bad
    I use Swissvax Leather Cleaner which is very good, if a little pricey for what it is (a bit like all the other Swissvax stuff I use - expensive but very good).

Regarding jeans and Crema leather which just don't mix, it's not so much for me, I just put on lighter trousers when driving the car, it's more for passengers. I'd tell people they can't sit in the car if they have metal poppers/studs on the backs on their jeans as it's very soft leather but I'm not going to tell people they can't sit in unless they go and change out of their jeans. I just clean the seats when they mark (which they always seem to). I guess that's my choice though.

I think all of this is, as I said, a bit of a moot point - as Mod pointed out you'll never be able to DIY colour change leather and make it look anything like it looks now, I've got the time to keep them looking good if I really want to, Francis has a point in that there's nothing wrong with a bit of 'patina', and the clincher is my wife likes them cream which sort of over-rides all other arguments.

I think they're staying cream.

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Cheers Jeff

I think people go for it because when new it looks good, Iíve kept mine like new and people alway say it looks fantastic. From this period red and tan is more common worldwide than red and cream. Red and cream is more of a UK thing but itís still what buyers often go for, just one of those things.

Iíll have a think on it. The fact keeping it looking perfect is a hassle might actually be a moot point - my wife has said she prefers the look of cream ..........
    Dealers love it and encourage it - as you said seems to be a real UK thing - always reminds me of ice cream vans for some strange reason

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Dealers love it and encourage it - as you said seems to be a real UK thing - always reminds me of ice cream vans for some strange reason

Seriously showing your age there, Mod! They're only ever that colour in museums

For better or worse it seems to be something that became common in Ferraris in the 80s, especially in the UK, and it's just stuck. Look at the 488 GTBs for sale on PistonHeads and filter by price high to low - the majority at the top end of the market are red with cream interiors. Dealers love it and encourage it for one reason - it sells, it's what people want and has been for years. It's not called 'Resale Red' for nothing and cream interiors have just sort of got to be the norm with the red exterior. It's totally impractical but then again, who buys a Ferrari to be practical?

You may say it reminds you of (vintage) ice cream vans but most people see my car in those colours and comment that it's the 'right' colour for a Ferrari, whatever that means. I think for many models my favourite colour combo is TDF with cream interior, just think it looks stunning, but it would seem I'm in a minority.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

For better or worse it seems to be something that became common in Ferraris in the 80s, especially in the UK, and it's just stuck. Look at the 488 GTBs for sale on PistonHeads and filter by price high to low - the majority at the top end of the market are red with cream interiors. Dealers love it and encourage it for one reason - it sells, it's what people want and has been for years. It's not called 'Resale Red' for nothing and cream interiors have just sort of got to be the norm with the red exterior. It's totally impractical but then again, who buys a Ferrari to be practical?

You may say it reminds you of (vintage) ice cream vans but most people see my car in those colours and comment that it's the 'right' colour for a Ferrari, whatever that means. I think for many models my favourite colour combo is TDF with cream interior, just think it looks stunning, but it would seem I'm in a minority.
    Well my car is Blu Dino Metallizata and crema - so not that far from TDF!

But most on the continent think we are nuts however nice it looks!

A348W is online now I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Blue Chiaro and cream on the 348!

If thatís insanity; Iím happy with it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast