Thread: Tracker Alternative

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Default Tracker Alternative

I have just reinsured the 430 and due to its age I no longer need to have the tracker activated. This is potentially a nice money saver as the annual tracker cost just keeps going up for a worse level of service I suspect Ferrari Added tax is applied by the bucket full

Has anyone got experience of an alternative tracking device they have hard wired into the car ? Something thats an outright purchase with maybee a SIM fitted ??

My car spends it life locked up in the garage or its got me sat in it, so not sure I really need an alarm company to phone me and say my car has been stolen. Also I doubt if the local plod will give a call from tracker advising a theft is in progress much priority, so some of the tracker "features" seem a bit pointless .

TruTrak FMT100 GPS looks like a good option with more features than the factory tracker ......... including the ability to let you know if someone is driving it like they stole it .. sorry officer that feature hasnt been enabled
    Last edited by sssdu01; 08-01-2021 at 03:04 PM.

A348W is online now I mince along like a girl Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Don't have trackers for mine although apparently there is one somewhere in the 348, although I've never found it!

I've also taken out the alarms/ immobilisers from both...just something else to go wrong in my view. Besides, we know what everybody's reaction to a car alarm is...."somebody shut that f***ing alarm up..."

If somebody wants to steal your car they will and trackers/immobiliers/alarms wont do much; all they will do is slow an opportunist thief/gypo/scouser.

At the end of the day if they are stolen we are insured, and besides what are you actually going to do with any "tracker" information anyway other than perhaps watch you car take a cruise on a container ship to Africa or a nice road trip over to eastern Europe somewhere

Better things to spend the money on, like a tank of fuel or a track day in my view

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

I bought the following 3 years ago, on the recommendation of an Aston owner:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've yet to fit it to any of my cars, it's still under my desk but I know the guy well and he's very happy with it

irarref is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

I've used an old iphone with "find iphone" before - ypid have to wire it into a charger out of sight though. Works really well :-)

Name
    ian

We had to have a tracker on our 458, they did not specify what grade, so we got the cheapest one, (300 for lifetime tracking) as the Ferrari one fitted is a pain, kept ringing us up everytime we went out in it. Admiral insurance in some cases do not specify the need for a tracker, if you dont need one for insurance purposes I would not bother, dont use one on our 550 though...and never had one on thr 348..

achaddy is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshirelad View Post
    We had to have a tracker on our 458, they did not specify what grade, so we got the cheapest one, (300 for lifetime tracking) as the Ferrari one fitted is a pain, kept ringing us up everytime we went out in it. Admiral insurance in some cases do not specify the need for a tracker, if you dont need one for insurance purposes I would not bother, dont use one on our 550 though...and never had one on thr 348..
    I went with Admiral for my 458 and do not need a tracker. 300 a year saved

On the last 458 it was enabled and was a total PITA. Had to be replaced eventually at dealers cost thankfully.

Name
    ian

Every quote I've had from admiral has been silly high..but might try again this year...but at 299 for lifetime tracker I will now just go for cheapest premium with or without tracker