Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mark's 360 F1

Name
    Mark Blanchard

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    I've found the only negative with the F1 system is that it feeds the clutch in slower than I'd like when pulling away in first.
    Sounds similar to mine. Iím not giving it lots of throttle when I pull away from my house as the car makes so much noise (Tubi exhaust) Iím trying not to irritate the many neighbours where I live. Maybe more throttle is needed though.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blanchard View Post
    Sounds similar to mine. Iím not giving it lots of throttle when I pull away from my house as the car makes so much noise (Tubi exhaust) Iím trying not to irritate the many neighbours where I live. Maybe more throttle is needed though.
    I agree, definitely more throttle needed.......... then they'll all get used to the racket it makes. I have no idea if more throttle will also help the F1 system but it might.

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

I'm just not used to paddles, as Nosevi said I'll get used to it. And the clutch is slow when cold, first gear I have to wait for it to kick in, usually a second or two at junctions. It shifts ok when warmed up.
    Yes, slower than I'd like. It takes 1-2 sec to engage first when cold at a junction. When the gearbox oil is warm, first gear engages quickly. The box was rebuilt 7k miles ago and it's been looked after by Dick Lovett for the last 8 years with no issues.

I've read some F1 boxes are slow, some are faster. And I hear Ferrari made improvements to the F1 box for the 360CS.

Yes there's an auto switch on the central console. Really can't see the point in having an automatic Ferrari, unless you aren't into driving and have a Ferrari to "turn up in style."
    If thereís a extended delay selecting I think thereís a minor issue.
    The clutch is open when the engine is running so pulling the paddle it should quickly select the gear. I never felt mine was hesitant but you might expect different. Iíd try to see another.
    If real it could be anything, so I wonít guess on here.

I had the original TCU in mine and it drove great. I lashed out on a new CS TCU and it generally improved it but I also felt it was minimal and lost some smoothness.
    The selection delay you mention will unlikely be improved by a CS TCU. The CS TCU changes the calibration for gear changes and clutch control. The CS box and external controls are identical to the earlier cars. Itís all hardware/software differences.
    When cold F1 generally rev higher at the bite point pulling away, pretty much as you would do in any car.

Name
    Mark Blanchard

Itís strange because there is no delay selecting first around town, itís instant. I recon more throttle is needed when I set off.

Iím still getting the hang of the car. Itís early days.

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    If there’s a extended delay selecting I think there’s a minor issue.
    The clutch is open when the engine is running so pulling the paddle it should quickly select the gear. I never felt mine was hesitant but you might expect different. I’d try to see another.
    If real it could be anything, so I won’t guess on here.

I had the original TCU in mine and it drove great. I lashed out on a new CS TCU and it generally improved it but I also felt it was minimal and lost some smoothness.
    The selection delay you mention will unlikely be improved by a CS TCU. The CS TCU changes the calibration for gear changes and clutch control. The CS box and external controls are identical to the earlier cars. It’s all hardware/software differences.
    When cold F1 generally rev higher at the bite point pulling away, pretty much as you would do in any car.
    All of this can be helped and in many cases avoid expensive degradation by performing a gearbox self-learn - These should be performed at service but rarely are (why give up on all those nice valuable clutch change jobs eh?)

Its the marelli selespeed system as used in Alfa's so not expensive or time consuming to do (and takes zero spanner work)

Thankfully this procedure is now within reach of the DIY fraternity with the right handheld device, dongle and software

18mins in - whole procedure takes 2 mins - rest of the video and its series covers 360 F1 in great depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrXL9VrPHvE

Name
    Mark Blanchard

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post

Thankfully this procedure is now within reach of the DIY fraternity with the right handheld device, dongle and software

18mins in - whole procedure takes 2 mins - rest of the video and its series covers 360 F1 in great depth.

Great link, thanks for sharing.

Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    All of this can be helped and in many cases avoid expensive degradation by performing a gearbox self-learn - These should be performed at service but rarely are (why give up on all those nice valuable clutch change jobs eh?)

Its the marelli selespeed system as used in Alfa's so not expensive or time consuming to do (and takes zero spanner work)

I have the same set-up (in fact the one in the video was mine).
    You can see at lot of what is going on with the selection process such as coordinates for the gear positions and stored codes (failure to select etc) which will not give a warning.
    My only comment would be be careful with these systems as well as being quite powerful and very useful they are also effectively pirated software with quite a few bugs (probably due to porting to an app).
    They just about work on the 360 F1 but only with the CS (and maybe latest non-CS) TCU. The better coverage is 430 onwards.

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    I have the same set-up (in fact the one in the video was mine).
    You can see at lot of what is going on with the selection process such as coordinates for the gear positions and stored codes (failure to select etc) which will not give a warning.
    My only comment would be be careful with these systems as well as being quite powerful and very useful they are also effectively pirated software with quite a few bugs (probably due to porting to an app).
    They just about work on the 360 F1 but only with the CS (and maybe latest non-CS) TCU. The better coverage is 430 onwards.
    Mike is this the Think / Launch X431 Android tablet thing with pre-loaded software?

Name
    Mike M

Default Mark's 360 F1

It was the Launch Xdiag 431 software on an Android tablet with the yellow dongle. But yes, itís effectively the same system.
    For the 360 to work, you have to enter 430 into the Tipo menu. Thatís why it only worked on the CS TCU at the time as it used the same later hardware.

It was probably the best £150 I spent on the car. I still have it but the annual
    updates have now run out.
    It was a bit of a pain as on a later update it would only work with one engine ECU, but worked better with the gearbox. It meant you had to keep rolling software versions backwards and forwards depending on what you were doing!
    Last edited by Mike01606; 25-03-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Name
    Mark Blanchard

Went for a proper run today, the car drove perfectly. I'm finally getting the hang of the F1 box at last.

Stopped off at Hofmann's of Henley. They're a well respected garage and have some amazing cars being serviced. Ex Sultan of Brunei cars amongst others. Some of them I've recognised from working in Brunei back in the 1990s.

Name:  Hofmanns 2.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  81.2 KB
    Last edited by Mark Blanchard; 22-04-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234