Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Ranking the Ferrari 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, & LaFerrari

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Name
    Boxer
    Posts
    545

    Default Ranking the Ferrari 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, & LaFerrari

    Just posted a new karenable blog on ranking the 5 Ferrari modern icons: 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, & LaFerrari

    https://karenable.com/ranking-the-fe...nzo-laferrari/

    Comments?

    How would you rank them?

  2. #2
    Nosevi's Avatar
    Nosevi is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Name
    Pete
    Posts
    11,475

    Default

    Interesting read, thanks.

    Sadly I can't comment on anything like the practical level you can, more from the theoretical, 'from afar' sort of point of view (although all but the Enzo have come to events I've organised and the owners were good enough to give me a good look over their cars on each occasion). I've always been a sucker for the F40, just something about the concept of a stripped out raw race car for the road that appeals but sitting in an F50 with the roof off for the first time I can totally see the appeal - there's something about having the roof off that always adds something to driving a car I think. That said I've always loved the 288GTO so it'd be a tough choice between them all for me if I had to choose a favourite . The agony of choice
    Last edited by Nosevi; 21-02-2021 at 05:28 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Name
    Boxer
    Posts
    545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Interesting read, thanks.

    Sadly I can't comment on anything like the practical level you can, more from the theoretical, 'from afar' sort of point of view (although all but the Enzo have come to events I've organised and the owners were good enough to give me a good look over their cars on each occasion). I've always been a sucker for the F40, just something about the concept of a stripped out raw race car for the road that appeals but sitting in an F50 with the roof off for the first time I can totally see the appeal - there's something about having the roof off that always adds something to driving a car I think. That said I've always loved the 288GTO so it'd be a tough choice between them all for me if I had to choose a favourite . The agony of choice
    It comes down to which one you love, just that little bit more.

  4. #4
    Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    north west
    Name
    CPD
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    It comes down to which one you love, just that little bit more.
    Have never had the direct pleasure of any of these although I have of the FXX Version of the ENZO...

    Harry Metcalfe is not a huge fan of the F40 which I think had a lot of bearing on the EVO article.

    Having been in close company of all of these Tipo in numbers on various Mille Miglia Tribute events I have seen first hand how these tipo perform when being driven hard and for long distances.

    The 288 is a beauty but it’s performance level means it can not be anything but a old Supercar for me and given that rarity in and of itself doesn’t really float my boat it¬’s a bit of a non event for me.

    The F40 is iconic but for me again it’s performance level and construction quality a just risible in my eyes. On serious events I have never seen one driven hard EXCEPT for the yellow UK car that is a bit of an homage to the LM variant. If has had quite a fettling to get it there. I know it’s owner well and he is the only person I have ever seen really really DRIVE one hard. Mind you he is a superkart driver so has the chops to do so. F50 is my pick of the crop as its heritage and underpinnings are genuine F1 derived. Sound absolutely brilliant with a good exhaust on em. Enzo is too shoddy a package mechanically and design wise for me.

    I know when they are driven hard they just take so much to keep them in trim.

    So for me F50 but I don¬’t think I could ever enjoy any of them enough without getting into the fear of financial loss of miles / maintenance / depreciation / needing to upgrade them.

    I guess all of them make me suspicious of their ownership proposition as aside from the odd honourable exception most them you see have comically low mileages and lack of use. This leads me to think they are not all of that because why else would they not be driven and driven hard. I get the collection size / special occasion arguments but having got up to eight special cars once even when semi-retired I couldn¬’t get it to make sense for me.
    Last edited by Modificato; 21-02-2021 at 09:58 PM.

  5. #5
    Mike01606's Avatar
    Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Name
    Mike M
    Posts
    3,681

    Default

    Iíll read the article later but ranking them personally....

    288 was my poster car but Iím sure driving it would be a big disappointment so it would be a short affair.

    F40 is iconic but Iíd only own one if it could use it regularly and properly.

    F50 and Enzo were always challenging to me on looks. The F50 has grown on me but Iím still not sure I could love one.

    LaFerrari does nothing for me at all. Again it just doesnít look right and the hybrid issues would be a nightmare to live with.

    So F40 then 288 for me from the above (not that it would ever be a decision Iíd have to make).

    TBH 250 SWB would be where Iíd probably put my hypothetical money given the option and after a brief flirt with a 40.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Henley on Thames
    Name
    Mark Blanchard
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Nice write up, thanks for sharing.

    I remember seeing the 288 GTO when it was new and my jaw was on the floor. It still looks stunning today. I'm sure it drives like a dog compared to today's cars, but who cares when it looks that good.

    288 GTO
    F40
    F50
    LaFerrari
    Enzo (no thanks)

  7. #7
    A348W's Avatar
    A348W is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    North Wiltshire
    Name
    Adrian
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Thanks as ever for the write up and something to contemplate if i win on Tuesday!

    For me, the Enzo wouldn't feature for the points raised.

    288 GTO is stunning, as is the F40 for different reasons. I really like the idea of the F50, being "modern", targa with a manual...although the looks...

    If I had to take one it would be the 288 GTO I think; but if it was a case of "if I had the money"...Mike and I might enter a bidding war!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Name
    Boxer
    Posts
    545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Thanks as ever for the write up and something to contemplate if i win on Tuesday!

    For me, the Enzo wouldn't feature for the points raised.

    288 GTO is stunning, as is the F40 for different reasons. I really like the idea of the F50, being "modern", targa with a manual...although the looks...

    If I had to take one it would be the 288 GTO I think; but if it was a case of "if I had the money"...Mike and I might enter a bidding war!
    When you are int eh driver's seat, the "looks" discussion on the F50 completely disappears.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Name
    Boxer
    Posts
    545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Have never had the direct pleasure of any of these although I have of the FXX Version of the ENZO...

    Harry Metcalfe is not a huge fan of the F40 which I think had a lot of bearing on the EVO article.


    The F40 is iconic but for me again itís performance level and construction quality a just risible in my eyes. On serious events I have never seen one driven hard EXCEPT for the yellow UK car that is a bit of an homage to the LM variant. If has had quite a fettling to get it there. I know itís owner well and he is the only person I have ever seen really really DRIVE one hard. Mind you he is a superkart driver so has the chops to do so. F50 is my pick of the crop as its heritage and underpinnings are genuine F1 derived. Sound absolutely brilliant with a good exhaust on em. Enzo is too shoddy a package mechanically and design wise for me.

    I know when they are driven hard they just take so much to keep them in trim.

    .
    Interesting, I was not aware Harry was not a F40 fan.

    On the F40s being driven hard, I've been to a few events where they were really pushed. Ironically the cars that had been regularly driven hard didn't have any issues, it was a few garage queens that went bang.

    In my experience, the quality on the F50 though was a huge jump up from the F40.

  10. #10
    A348W's Avatar
    A348W is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    North Wiltshire
    Name
    Adrian
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    When you are int eh driver's seat, the "looks" discussion on the F50 completely disappears.
    Ohhh is that an offer?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hublot LaFerrari Watch - What do you think?
    By F1YMS in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-07-2016, 08:27 AM
  2. LaFerrari for sale
    By DarkShines in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 15-10-2014, 07:49 AM
  3. Jamiroquai's JK's new LaFerrari
    By DarkShines in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29-06-2014, 11:09 PM
  4. New Ferrari F1 V6 engine in the back of a LaFerrari
    By ewolg in forum Motorsport and Sport
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •