Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranking the Ferrari 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, & LaFerrari

Name
    Mark Blanchard

This was the jaw on the floor moment. I bought this CAR mag back in 1984 and still have it 37 years later. 1000s of my other car magazines have perished horribly since but these were always to valuable.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  201.3 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  217.5 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  235.6 KB

Name
    Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Ohhh is that an offer?
    If you can talk the current owner of my old F50 into letting you drive it, then please go ahead.

Name
    Steve R

Never even sat in any of them, but for personal desirability...

1. LaFerrari. I think itís a stunning achievement and I could look at it for hours (when I wasnít driving it)
    2. 288GTO. Possibly the best looking Ferrari ever
    3. F40. Striking iconic looks and presence
    4. F50. Seems to win in magazine comparison tests but not keen on the looks
    5. Enzo. Makes the F50 look beautiful

Nosevi is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Interesting that practically everyone's list seems to have the Enzo at the bottom. Simple case of 'Function' over 'Form' and did Ferrari perhaps miss the mark simply by forgetting you need both?

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

The one view I love of the enzo is itís plan view - the side profile I think is particularly challenging.

All a matter of personal taste of course...

Nosevi is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    The one view I love of the enzo is it’s plan view - the side profile I think is particularly challenging.

All a matter of personal taste of course...
    True, but in the case of the Enzo the majority of people seem to agree with you, Mod. I even agree with you!!!

I just think they dropped the ball a bit and forgot that no matter how well a car goes, you've got to actually like how it looks too for it to be a great car. With the others in the list they did seem to keep this in mind.

Name
    Mark

Mine would be:
    1. LaFerrari - stunning, stunning, stunning. I been lucky enough to have seen many. What a piece of kit
    2. F50 - When you open up the clamshells and get a good look under the carbon - wow
    3/4/5 - I honestly stopped here although intending to complete a list. I can't decide. I don't think there are any losers. I adore the 288, the Enzo is pretty amazing in the flesh. The F40, well...

Name
    Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    Mine would be:
    1. LaFerrari - stunning, stunning, stunning. I been lucky enough to have seen many. What a piece of kit
    2. F50 - When you open up the clamshells and get a good look under the carbon - wow
    3/4/5 - I honestly stopped here although intending to complete a list. I can't decide. I don't think there are any losers. I adore the 288, the Enzo is pretty amazing in the flesh. The F40, well...
    On the LaFerrari - if you really want stunning, take a look at the bill for a replacement battery......

Name
    Mark Blanchard

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    True, but in the case of the Enzo the majority of people seem to agree with you, Mod. I even agree with you!!!

I just think they dropped the ball a bit and forgot that no matter how well a car goes, you've got to actually like how it looks too for it to be a great car. With the others in the list they did seem to keep this in mind.
    Agree. When the Enzo came out, it was popular and the design was breaking with tradition. It had "New Edge" design and was challenging perceptions of car design.

However the shape wasn't cohesive, the front doesn't flow with the sides and the rear glass panel doesn't meet the back. So it looks disjointed.

Time has not been kind to it.

And they dropped a lot of balls with the 2006 Ferrari 575 Zagato GTZ too.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blanchard View Post

And they dropped a lot of balls with the 2006 Ferrari 575 Zagato GTZ too.
    To be fair, don't think that was Ferrari, I think Zagato operate independently of Ferrari. Apparently the 575 GTZ was supposed to hark back to the 250 GTZ, and you can kind of see what they were trying to do. They didn't do it well but you can see what the aim was.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast