Thread: Ferrari enters the Le Mans Hypercar era.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Default Ferrari enters the Le Mans Hypercar era.

This might be interesting. Anyone know a little more about it than this brief press release?

https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/compet...s-hypercar-era

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I lost interest in Le Mans sort of racing when the top cars became F1 with bodywork on, but they were still called sports cars. However this looks interesting, as I would welcome sports car racing going back to the "old ways" where the cars were road legal (D types/ Astons AC's etc) The idea that you could go and buy one and drive it home is appealing. Yes I realise that Le Mans hyper cars will never be able to be driven on the road as they would be beached on the first speed bump, but I think this is a move in the right direction.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    I lost interest in Le Mans sort of racing when the top cars became F1 with bodywork on, but they were still called sports cars. However this looks interesting, as I would welcome sports car racing going back to the "old ways" where the cars were road legal (D types/ Astons AC's etc) The idea that you could go and buy one and drive it home is appealing. Yes I realise that Le Mans hyper cars will never be able to be driven on the road as they would be beached on the first speed bump, but I think this is a move in the right direction.
    I agree.

Interesting that it specifies they have to be primarily petrol driven with pretty strong limits on how and how much hybrid power can be applied:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Mans_Hypercar
    Last edited by Nosevi; 25-02-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly with this - went to Le Mans once and the racing was emphatically dull as we watched the LMP cars circle round and round not being able to tell who car belonged to which brand. Good job the partying was epic. Amongst all of that of course was the GT class cars but it seemed silly mixing the two. We are familiar at work with all of the discussions that have got to a point where these race cars have became possible and it has been one of the longest running soap operas in the business.

Letís hope they get it over the line and the brands are more recognisably different to the eye beyond a paint job.

Sports car racing of the 60ís should be the model with a healthy dose of tech but not too much - that can be left to F1

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly with this - went to Le Mans once and the racing was emphatically dull as we watched the LMP cars circle round and round not being able to tell who car belonged to which brand. Good job the partying was epic. Amongst all of that of course was the GT class cars but it seemed silly mixing the two. We are familiar at work with all of the discussions that have got to a point where these race cars have became possible and it has been one of the longest running soap operas in the business.

Letís hope they get it over the line and the brands are more recognisably different to the eye beyond a paint job.

Sports car racing of the 60ís should be the model with a healthy dose of tech but not too much - that can be left to F1
    Very much in agreement. Would be great if the cars were based on road going Hypercars, even if only loosely. Not sure it's realistic to think of the next 'La Ferrari' out on the track battling it out with other marque's Hypercars but it would be good to watch.

As far as LMP cars are concerned, I could live with Le Mans not having them and just having Hypercars and GT class. Might be too much to hope for though.

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Does this mean Ferrari are going to have to launch a new hypercar, related to the racecar? Effectively the racecar will be related to the LaFerrari successor, or maybe the SF90?

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    Does this mean Ferrari are going to have to launch a new hypercar, related to the racecar? Effectively the racecar will be related to the LaFerrari successor, or maybe the SF90?
    My guess is it'll be related to a new car, unless Ferrari have managed to get the class restrictions closely aligned to the SF90. As I say, hybrid control is carefully regulated for the new class (how much power and how it can be put down) and I doubt that's been done unless they had something quite specific in mind when they were drawing it up.