Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: The National Ferrari Owners Day

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    Booked mine along with the runway run which I really enjoyed last time.
    Do you know how long the runway is?

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    Do you know how long the runway is?
    About 4000 feet so give or take 3/4 mile. Normally for organised runway dashes you’ll lose a significant distance as they’re pretty generous with the breaking zone.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    About 4000 feet so give or take 3/4 mile. Normally for organised runway dashes you’ll lose a significant distance as they’re pretty generous with the breaking zone.
    Indeed. I'll know better this year. The braking marker board was at least 200 meters too early. I didn't even brake very hard and still took my foot off the brake well before the turning point.

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    Indeed. I'll know better this year. The braking marker board was at least 200 meters too early. I didn't even brake very hard and still took my foot off the brake well before the turning point.
    I did one several years ago in Norfolk somewhere, thought it was a little longer than that but whatever length it was great fun. One thing I did find out though was that if you check your Speedo reading as you go through the speed trap at 165, you can travel quite a distance before you look up again. THEN you might be glad of a few extra metres.
    Speedo was a couple of mph fast BTW
    Last edited by Ian355; 04-02-2022 at 05:49 PM.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

I did one several years ago in Norfolk somewhere, thought it was a little longer than that but whatever length it was great fun. One thing I did find out though was that if you check your Speedo reading as you go through the speed trap at 165, you can travel quite a distance before you look up again. THEN you might be glad of a few extra metres.
    Very true. The ones I've either organised or done have all been on 9,000 foot runways so you can afford to lose a bit without it really mattering too much.

I ran the airfield at Scampton for about 4 years and we had around 9,000 feet there as well as areas north side which were used by Lincolnshire police for high speed pursuit training. Lots of fun was had.........

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

The runway at Sywell is 1250 m long and 30 m wide. Its fairly new concrete and is absolutely billiard table flat but isnt smooth, its very slightly rippled (this is to help control aircraft aquaplaning in wet weather) I would think it will give very good traction grip

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Speedo was a couple of mph fast BTW
    I had my iphone with an app that gives me my GPS generated speed right in my eyesight so no need to look away. I'm going to just that next time to help me change up at the optimum point rather than relying on my ears.

Name
    Grant

Default The National Ferrari Day 4th June

This is the link to the https://www.nationalferrariownersday.com/ June the 4th at Sywell airfield.
    This is open to anyone who owns a Ferrari so you do not have to be a member of the FOC but you need to get a ticket via the link.
    It is supposed to be bigger and Better than last year.

I am organising a convoy again, last year there were so many cars at the services we soon got split up on the A14, so this year we will be taking the back roads from the services to give us more chance of staying together.

The plan for anyone that wants to join up en-route is:- to meet at Histon CB24 9PS, North of Cambridge, leave the A14
    towards Histon/ Impington, Junction 32, after only 100 yards at the lights turn left and meet near small green at 8am– to leave at 8:15 am.

Then the next stop will be at Applegreen Spaldwick Service Station PE28 0TD on the A14 at 08:45 for coffee and leave at 09:00, the services are just past the A1/ A14 new junction going west on the A14.
    Anyone going to Sywell, are welcome. I will post a route from the services in the couple of weeks.

Name
    Grant

Please find attached map from the services to Sywell, with help from Phill. The last time I spoke to the club 1400 tickets had been ordered. 500 plus Ferraris.
    Here is a google link to the map VIEW IN GOOGLE MAPS https://goo.gl/maps/xY6C9FKMPSbgVwrD6
    Phill says these are good roads that motorbikes use so should be fun.
    We cannot go all the way on back roads, so will have to go on the A45 for a short way which is a duel carriageway, so the leaders will go slow to enable people to catch up if we are not all together at that point.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wheels1; 02-06-2022 at 02:31 PM.

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

I didn't go this year but I was there last year - can anyone who was at both give me an idea what was better/different about this year's show compared to last year?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast