Thread: F430 - no whir from F1 pump & no start

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Default F430 - no whir from F1 pump & no start

Argh, Easter Weekend, I've just taxed the F430 (2009 F1 Spyder) and now it won't ruddy start - the first time ever this has happened.

Here's some back story:

The car is stored offsite and had been left for 4-5 weeks with no trickle charger attached.
    When I started it, some of the dashboard lights flashed a bit, but it fired and ran.
    While driving though, I could not operate the gearbox in Manual, only Auto.
    I got the car home and immediately put it on mains charge with the Ferrari-supplied charger. I left it for 6 days on charge I believe.

When I opened the door I noticed the F1 pump didn't whir as normal.
    I disconnected the charger and ran through the standard start procedure. Nothing. I left it 24 hours, back on charge (green light showing) but still nothing.

I should point out that the engine warning light stays on when the key is turned to position II

Any ideas?
    Last edited by jonnyjonkers; 02-04-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Name
    Ian

Turn the battery isolator off, wait a while then try again.
    Perhaps with low battery voltage something has got confused so reboot the system?

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    Turn the battery isolator off, wait a while then try again.
    Perhaps with low battery voltage something has got confused so reboot the system?
    One thing I should have said is that method works for a 355 but it might pay to check if the same method is applicable to a 430.

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

The supplied charger is more a maintainer than charger and if the battery has run down and is old it will likely have died.

The 430 needs quite a bit of juice to fire up all its ECUís and them all broadcast a clean bill of health in order for it to start trouble free.

Always always always wait until you see check ok before pressing start as this is the completion of all the boot sequencing.

The big start button was added for a reason and why you canít merely twist a key.

Get a full charge in the battery and take your time to fire it all up correctly.

Should be okay

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post

The big start button was added for a reason and why you canít merely twist a key.
    I never thought of it that way!

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how I get on. The battery is the one that came with the car three years ago and I doubt it was new then. Could be a good opportunity for a new one.

Name
    jonnyjonkers

So, situation unchanged - engine light on, start button unresponsive. I'll speak to the local Ferrari dealership technician later this afternoon for his help & advice.

Name
    jonnyjonkers

A small win, but no end to the war.

I have replaced the 30A fuse at position PSF31 which has cured the non-starting issue (I must add though that the whir was a bit clunky, not the usual high pitch). So the engine now runs, the engine warning light has gone out, which is all good.

However, the car will not select a gear, forward or reverse. I could switch it out of Auto, but not switch back in. Basically, my car runs but will not move.

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Sounds like an F1 pump relay issue - the relay is old school and notorious for burning out if the F1 gearbox has not been kept tip top via a self learn every service.

This link is also a good upgrade over the factory solution so if you intend to keep the car a while worth a shout.

Swiss prices but well made and quality R&D and engineering for such a relatively small niche market.

https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/ecu-...relay-ecu.html

Other models with F1 gearbox covered too.