Thread: What lies beneath?

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Default What lies beneath?

Latest edition of Tyrell’s workshop has some ‘keeping it real’ Ferrari content.

308 vetrosina that resembles Swiss cheese.

Is it inevitable that this era of cars all need a complete restoration at some point?

Ferrari 8:00 in

https://youtu.be/NeWOI95ffBo

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Really enjoy Tyrell's Workshop. There was one I watched recently with some engine work on a 246 Dino, really interesting to see some old school techniques being used to diagnose problems.

In answer to your basic question "Is it inevitable that this era of cars all need a complete restoration at some point?" the answer is simply no, it's not inevitable. If a car isn't used on salty roads, it's always totally dried out after getting wet (including behind the panels) and it lives in a humidity and to an extent temperature controlled environment it won't get into that sort of condition.

My car is younger than that car but this is 'under the skin' having lived her life in those sort of conditions and in 13 or so years time she still won't resemble that 308 when you look under the skin. Not saying everyone has to keep their car like this, each to their own, all I'm saying is that it makes a huge difference if you do:

Name:  IMG_3890.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  38.8 KB
    Last edited by Nosevi; 05-04-2021 at 11:58 AM.

A348W is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Not come across those videos before; thanks, interesting stuff.

I think any Italian car of that vintage will need work of some description; wasn't that the time that they used poor quality steel imported from USSR? So unless you never drive your car and its lived its entire life in a humidity controlled environment (Pete ), it will have been exposed to damp/water/condensation etc. at some stage in its life. With poor quality steel and poor quality coatings/ application it will rust.

As to wrapping the structural members in composite on the 308; what the f*** were they thinking? That is just about the worst thing you can do, it creates just about the perfect environment to promote corrosion, without allowing any means to monitor/ maintain it. Probably the same idiot who didn’t put limber holes in the 348 rear subframe brackets and the one that came up with those caged bolts!

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

I’ll bite

She’s about average miles looking at cars that come up for sale. It’s not really about how much you drive them or even about them never getting wet - have driven mine in the rain from time to time. It’s about them never staying damp and about the atmosphere you keep them in. A ‘normal’ garage gets damp even if you don’t think of it as damp and a car put in there which has dampness behind the panels will rust from the inside. And when it gets cold at night in the winter the condensation forming inside the frame and under panels does the same.

These 2 cars are much the same age. A hardtop which hasn’t been kept in a climate controlled atmosphere:

Name:  B689271B-CDBF-43AA-981B-AE1322D36791.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  68.9 KB

Vs my car with a leaky targa which, for most of her life has:

Name:  1281B45D-B713-4D39-9B53-5948F7C3981C.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  49.2 KB

The hardtop was later fantastically restored by her new owner but the fact remains, this will happen to a car eventually if they are stored ‘normally’ but it won’t if they are somewhat pampered
    Last edited by Nosevi; 05-04-2021 at 03:11 PM.