Thread: 599GTB or HGTE?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Name
    Howard

Default 599GTB or HGTE?

am seriously looking for a 599 but not sure to buy a GTB or the HGTE version

i'm not looking to track the car or anything and would say that comfort is more important than overall performance

should i try and find a HGTE model?...they are rare and i'm fussy as to the colour i want?

Name
    jos

If comfort is your objective I think HGTE would be less attractive as my recollection is that it has louder exhaust and larger wheels so ride is less compliant - some good threads on Ferrarichat detailing the differences

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

ItÂ’s a clear cut choice on U.K. and most European roads.

The standard car is much better.

The HGTE is very perplexing to me and my seat of the pants. I auditioned them when I bought mine. It was a buyers market at the time so I tried many many cars.

The HGTE

It just doesnÂ’t work as it should IMO.

Many of them are ‘collector’ cars so I don’t think they get used enough and suffer as a result that could be part of it but...

Being blunt they are modified in a max power magazine kind of way where feeling fast is more important than being fast.

The wheels and rubber are the culprit in my opinion.

I modified my 599 (see running report) to go down the road quickly for road events in Europe and when we looked at the stock set up on challenge wheels it drove better having wound back the coils and taking the tension out of the anti roll bars via some custom drop links. The HGTE pack just tightens it all up and is too crashy. The wheels and rubber struggle to follow the road when pushing on on anything but Stuttgart smooth asphalt.

I would swerve the HGTE unless you are a investment enthusiast or you like to feel thrilled and like you are driving on he edge a lower speeds, or you want to track drive it. On track it would be okay but my car on more modern rubber (Michelin homologated tyre) runs rings round the old rubber.

Evaluate your needs and if residuals are important as well as keeping it low mileage then HGTE - if you want a long legged GT for epic journeys and cross country thrills then the stock car all day long.

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

My memories seem to differ, I had 2 GTB's and 1 GTB convereted to HGTE, I found the latter's handling more consistant and the ride better than the std car

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    My memories seem to differ, I had 2 GTB's and 1 GTB convereted to HGTE, I found the latter's handling more consistant and the ride better than the std car
    Strange - maybe they handle better when freshly set up - the one’s I auditioned were not good.

Name
    Howard

thanks guys

not getting a definite feel for it!!

think i may go for a GTB