Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a bad idea?

Name
    robert batt

Default Is this a bad idea?

I have a manual 1995 456. Itís just a bit too quiet for my liking.

Has anyone tried something like Tubi back boxes on a 456 or 550? Was it a mistake?

Quick silver also make back boxes for the 456.

Also, if anyone knows of any used Tubi or Quicksilver back boxes please let me know.

Thanks

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

I had back boxes on my 550, overall it sounded much better than standard, It did introduce significant drone at constant throttle speeds though

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

had back boxes on my 456GT's

Worked a treat - The silencer delete ones are a bit rude

Name
    Mark Blanchard

I have a Tubi on my 360 and there is a drone noise when traveling at a constant speed. Difficult to talk in the cabin.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blanchard View Post
    I have a Tubi on my 360 and there is a drone noise when traveling at a constant speed. Difficult to talk in the cabin.
    I took a 360 Spyder on a test drive a few years ago, equipped with a Tubi and the noise was fun for about three minutes! I think it depends which level you have. A guy local to us had a Modena with another Tubi and that sounded epic.

Name
    cgt

V8's and V12's sound very different so not really comparable.

I experimented quite a lot with 550's. There are two types of Tubi backbox, a quieter version and a louder one (you can tell them apart as the louder one is basically a straight pipe). In addition the 550 has a centre section that you could also change for a Y or cross pipe which was then later standard on the 575. The best solution I found for me was a centre pipe and quieter backboxes. I also got very expensive carbon airboxes from Autofficina which gave a great induction sound and allegedly helped with temperatures in the engine bay.

This setup gave a real muscle car growl at low revs but not excessive, it wasn't loud enough to be obnoxious and very bearable in the cabin, could listen to the radio no problem. At higher revs it sounded fantastic but still in character I felt for a powerful GT car.

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

I think that is very important to a V12 GT car.

My 599 has primary cats, sports cats and the stock back boxes.

I can control the valves remotely if I want a bit more rumble at slow speeds but for a V12 itís all about the high rpm scream that only comes into play when you are seriously pushing.

On the autobahn and on my big trips through Europe the other half has to be able to sleep at the cruising speed of 85 to 130mph (Germany obvs)

Name
    kett

Not Ferrari, but I temporarily had a Quicksilver backbox fitted to my V6 Clio.
    The drone inside the cabin was unbearable.

Tunnelmeister is offline Burnt out Rover Metro Club Member
    Name
    Justin

My 599 is Std apart from the QuickSliver rear boxes and it's great at high revs but also at cruising speeds for the Mrs, its a nice deep growl on cold start-up as well.

Name
    robert batt

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelmeister View Post
    My 599 is Std apart from the QuickSliver rear boxes and it's great at high revs but also at cruising speeds for the Mrs, its a nice deep growl on cold start-up as well.
    I have a Quicksilver Supersport System on my DB9 and it does make an amazing sound. But the overall opinion from owners that I've read on forums seems to be that Tubi is the way to go/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast