Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So it starts

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Not yet but I think I'll certainly be carrying something on a journey. While I can be pretty confident of getting E5 near home I wouldn't want to travel depending on it.
    I think you'll be fine using E10 if you get caught out on a journey, although you'd want to burn it off then fill with E5 or lower so the E10 isn't sat in the car for longer than it needs to.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    I think you'll be fine using E10 if you get caught out on a journey, although you'd want to burn it off then fill with E5 or lower so the E10 isn't sat in the car for longer than it needs to.
    So it's more just that it's bad to be sat in the tank long term rather than needing to avoid using it at all? Maybe it's not as much of a big deal then - petrol never lasts in the tank all that long in the summer and prior to laying up for the winter we can just make sure the tank gets filled with E5 rather than E10.

Name
    Mark

So it's more just that it's bad to be sat in the tank long term rather than needing to avoid using it at all? Maybe it's not as much of a big deal then - petrol never lasts in the tank all that long in the summer and prior to laying up for the winter we can just make sure the tank gets filled with E5 rather than E10.
    I think I'd try to avoid E10 if possible. What I meant was it's unlikely to do any real harm if for example, you do a Euro trip and use E10 for the odd fill up on-route as it won't be in the system for very long. I'm by no means knowledgeable about these things though so I'd urge everyone to do their own homework.

For what it's worth, my own searches seem to show that our other cars are E10 ok - 2001 Boxster, 2007 TT, 2005 Cube. I just need to find out about the California.

Name
    Ian

I think I'd try to avoid E10 if possible. What I meant was it's unlikely to do any real harm if for example, you do a Euro trip and use E10 for the odd fill up on-route as it won't be in the system for very long. I'm by no means knowledgeable about these things though so I'd urge everyone to do their own homework.

For what it's worth, my own searches seem to show that our other cars are E10 ok - 2001 Boxster, 2007 TT, 2005 Cube. I just need to find out about the California.
    I’m definitely going to try and avoid E10 or perhaps even start using an additive.
    As far as I understand there are two problems with ethanol.
    1. It can attack the rubber etc which will be an ongoing thing. 10% obviously worse than 5 %
    2. During long term storage it can lead to water absorption, google “phase separation.

Name
    Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    F430 not compatible but my 599 is...

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...y-of-responses
    According to the car checker elsewhere on GOV.UK ‘All models since model year 2005 are suitable for use with E10.’

I’d prefer to use E5 in my F430 but seems like it won’t be an issue for occasional fill ups.

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Stero View Post
    According to the car checker elsewhere on GOV.UK ‘All models since model year 2005 are suitable for use with E10.’

I’d prefer to use E5 in my F430 but seems like it won’t be an issue for occasional fill ups.
    The F430 isn't included in the list of compatible models though so I'd keep to E5 unless you'll burn through the E10 quickly to minimise the time it's sat in the tank and fuel system.

Name
    jos

I just need to find out about the California.
    Effectively it has to be E10 compatible: all US cars had to be ethanol compatible since 2005 and it would not be sensible for Ferrari's subsequent cars to be anything else

Apparently some areas of the Midwest supply beyond E10

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

For the short term 97 Octane (which is all I use in my 360) will be available as E5. I guess it might be worth looking into additives. One way or the other I'm sure they'll be a demand for such additives and I'd expect more become available.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Had reason to go to 3 garages in the last 2 days - checked all pumps and all marked as 'E5', couldn't find an 'E10' pump anywhere, even the garages with 2 grades were both marked E5. As with most things I guess it'll take rural Lincolnshire about 10 years to catch up with you lot in the civilised world

Actually think demand for E5 will be greater out here - no data to back this up but my guess is the average age of cars here is older than down south. Lots of people tend to run them until they practically die rather than flip them every few years. Sure that's true of some people anywhere, just think the percentage of people who do that over those who change cars more regularly is likely to be greater in areas with less money.

Name
    Mark

Had reason to go to 3 garages in the last 2 days - checked all pumps and all marked as 'E5', couldn't find an 'E10' pump anywhere, even the garages with 2 grades were both marked E5. As with most things I guess it'll take rural Lincolnshire about 10 years to catch up with you lot in the civilised world

Actually think demand for E5 will be greater out here - no data to back this up but my guess is the average age of cars here is older than down south. Lots of people tend to run them until they practically die rather than flip them every few years. Sure that's true of some people anywhere, just think the percentage of people who do that over those who change cars more regularly is likely to be greater in areas with less money.
    I've not seen an E10 pump in the UK yet, only in Europe. All unleaded pumps down here are marked E5 and have been over the last two years or so.

You're absolutely right about the relentless charge (forgive) to electric and E10. It'll hurt the people least able to afford it the most, FACT. Millions of families can't afford a new car or the debt to replace their perfectly good older car with a new one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast