Thread: 458 Exhaust solenoids ? always quite ??

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Default 458 Exhaust solenoids ? always quite ??

Hi, can anyone tell me if the Exhaust Solenoid Valves can be switched to always quite on my 458 so I can keep the Decibels low for a Snetterton Track day ?? Thanks, Regards DM

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

They can with a three way controller like the forza componenti but whether you would want to track drive with the valves closed is another matter.

There is an optional homologated track day compatible exhaust for the 458. It seems original owners could spec one and it is still available as an official part.

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    They can with a three way controller like the forza componenti but whether you would want to track drive with the valves closed is another matter.

There is an optional homologated track day compatible exhaust for the 458. It seems original owners could spec one and it is still available as an official part.
    Hi Modificato, Thanks, that is what I want to know as well is it possible to run with valves closed (Quite) without doing any damage, does the Forza one allow you to run Quite ??, I have a simple 2 way switch which I can use to switch from normal to always loud, but to get it to pass the low decibels at Snetterton it would need to be always quite, again Thanks, Regards DM

Name
    CPD

The three way can do that but I wouldn’t recommend it at all for a track day. The system opens the valve not just to make a nice noise but to evacuate more heat. You could do very expensive damage to the cats. My F430 has the factory homologated sports exhaust because I do do track days in it.

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    The three way can do that but I wouldn’t recommend it at all for a track day. The system opens the valve not just to make a nice noise but to evacuate more heat. You could do very expensive damage to the cats. My F430 has the factory homologated sports exhaust because I do do track days in it.
    Hi Modificato, Thanks again, I should not think Forza would sell something that would damage your engine ??, I will buy a cheap 3 way remote for ebay and see how it goes, so anyway Thanks again

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by dinoman View Post
    Hi Modificato, Thanks again, I should not think Forza would sell something that would damage your engine ??, I will buy a cheap 3 way remote for ebay and see how it goes, so anyway Thanks again
    Specs from Forza Componenti for Exhaust controller:

Normal Mode: In this mode, the vehicle controls the operation of the exhaust bypass valves. This is the stock operation.

Always Open: Selecting this mode will force the exhaust bypass valves to the open position — and remain open. When the valves are Always Open, you have the full experience of hearing your engine exhaust at any time.

Always Closed: Selecting the Always Closed mode will force the exhaust bypass valves to remain closed at all times. This overrides the ECU control which opens the valves at predetermined engine and vehicle speeds. This mode is especially useful to ensure that your vehicle is as quiet as possible. Note: With this option, you can force the valves to stay in the closed position at all times. This feature was added at the request of people who track their cars at locations with strict noise standards and did not want the vehicle ECU to open the valves at high engine RPM.

Name
    Ian Riddell

Just wondering if the Forza system also fools the engine ECUs into thinking the valves are opening normally, so that the check engine light doesn't illuminate.

Exhaust bypass valve operation has been monitored since the F355. This may vary from country to country however.

achaddy is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

Quote Originally Posted by dinoman View Post
    Specs from Forza Componenti for Exhaust controller:

Normal Mode: In this mode, the vehicle controls the operation of the exhaust bypass valves. This is the stock operation.

Always Open: Selecting this mode will force the exhaust bypass valves to the open position — and remain open. When the valves are Always Open, you have the full experience of hearing your engine exhaust at any time.

Always Closed: Selecting the Always Closed mode will force the exhaust bypass valves to remain closed at all times. This overrides the ECU control which opens the valves at predetermined engine and vehicle speeds. This mode is especially useful to ensure that your vehicle is as quiet as possible. Note: With this option, you can force the valves to stay in the closed position at all times. This feature was added at the request of people who track their cars at locations with strict noise standards and did not want the vehicle ECU to open the valves at high engine RPM.
    Taken from the Forza installation instructions, I have recently fitted one.

Always Closed Usage = Wide open throttle / High engine RPM for short duration (e.g. passing another vehicle on highway, go through noise monitoring points when tracking vehicle)

So this would suggest they are not saying it is safe for continued use with valves closed at high RPM.

Name
    CPD

Agreed