Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windscreen needs replacement

dermot is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Dermot

Default Windscreen needs replacement

On the way up to the annual Ferrari owners club meeting on Saturday a huge rock got flicked up on the motorway by a trunk in front. It smacked straight into the windscreen with a massive bang and produced a 6 in circular crack, as you can imagine I am totally devastated.

I am with Locktonís and want Dick Lovett to do it, not someone showing up in a van ?
    Anyone any experience with insurance companies on this aspect.

There is an Athermic version (p/n 86286200) of this windscreen for the 488. Has anyone got an Athermic screen ?

Name
    Henry

Lucky it hit the windscreen and not your paintwork. Irritating but easy to replace, these things happen. Lockton one of the best I believe.

I hope so as I have 2 cars with them!

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

I donít think itíll be an issue as your Lockton policy should have a clause stating you have the choice of where a repair is done. Donít think it mentions windscreens but it doesnít specifically exclude them either. Iíve had a windscreen replaced under insurance with no trouble and Iím with Lockton although I bet made the insurance company wince - got it done at my local main dealer and replacement included removal and replacement of the whole inner surround of the windscreen. Canít remember the bill they got but it was a significant amount.

Name
    Dermot

Amazingly, Lucie from Lockton's approved by email me taking the car to Dick Lovett's yesterday (Sunday). I pay and then they reimburse -£100. New screen has been ordered, they will try and combine with annual service. No cost estimates yet...

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by dermot View Post
    Amazingly, Lucie from Lockton's approved by email me taking the car to Dick Lovett's yesterday (Sunday). I pay and then they reimburse -£100. New screen has been ordered, they will try and combine with annual service. No cost estimates yet...
    Sounds like a good result

Name
    Dermot

It's not over yet, Lucie said yes but their claims line person needs a quote first. DL has said £4k fitted, now awaiting engineer approval.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Red Head View Post
    Lucky it hit the windscreen and not your paintwork
    To be honest, the price of the new screen makes the paintwork option seem almost attractive!

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Sorry to be late on this one - I had this with my 599 and was with Locktons.

1) Make sure you get the Anthermic screen as it makes a massive difference to the load you put on the A/C and given the costs of the labour (its a bonded in screen and has to be done via a very precise process) - 200mph car and all that - a drop in the ocean for the extra benefit.

2) I negotiated with my dealer to fit the better screen but unfortunately one wasn't available at the time of the repair.

3) Prior to my replacement screen being fitted the old windscreen used to leak above 150mph - only found this out on the Autobahn on the way to a major event!

4) Its impossible to test this in the UK unless you do a runway run or something like a full circuit session at Silverstone so I would suggest getting one booked after the fitting so you can test the job

The cost of the job was such that whenever I renew - it always gets mentioned even though it was not supposed to effect my claims status - I am with Chubb who don't do no-claims-bonus.

Name
    Dermot

Thank for that info. An Athermic screen has been approved by Locktons and the authorisation send to Dick Lovett. It is now on order from Italia, they hope to get it by Friday, I will take the car in next Monday. They have quoted 3hrs to do it. Does anyone who if their technicians do it in house ? or they get Autoglass in?

I have been realign about Clearplex (http://clearplex.co.uk). I just spoke to a guy in Cambridge. He say they would need to do in HQ in Cambridge given the car and curvature of the screen. He quoted 3hrs and £350 all in.
    Looks like I might take a day off and go over.
    Anyone had it fitted?

Footnote: He says many insurers not make windscreens an accident claim.

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Not many insurers do until they get a 4k bill for it.

Apparently Ferrari technicians do 100% of the work or oversee any third party supplier.

Glad you got the optional windscreen - you will be glad of it if you do a southern europe road trip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast