Thread: Joy of Driving: The F40

Name
    Boxer

Default Joy of Driving: The F40

Spent a wonderful day last weekend just driving the Ferrari F40 and McLaren 675LT Spider. Here's the write up on it:

https://karenable.com/joy-of-driving...-675lt-spider/

Thoughts and comments?

What car do you most enjoy driving?

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Thats a surprisingly difficult question for me to answer, as my cars all have a different mission.

Audi s3 Massively capable wet or dry, very quick point to point vehicle, and Haldex makes it virtually idiot proof. It lack soul and you sometimes feel like computers are driving the car for you.

911 Carrera 3.2 plate type LSD and rear weight bias gives outstanding traction, throw in some steering lock and the car might want to ignore you steering ideas and launch into a straight line. Yes it is trying its best to kill you, but being air cooled it sounds lovely.

Ferrari 430. Capristo gives epic noise and effortless performance, but you cant really use it on the road and I have only driven it very hard once in the 7 years I have owned it (I dont drive like I have miss daisy on board !!) . I have now decided is wasted as a road car

MX5 BBR turbo. Fun and surprisingly good handling but slow.

Elise with 450 BHP Rotrex Supercharged Civic type r engine, modified everything (I think the chassis and radiator cap are the only original things left on the car ) No driver aids and under 800 KG, and just so fast nothing else will keep up with it. Probably the quickest point to point vehicle I will ever own, but for me not as intimidating to drive on the limit as the 430. Parts are silly cheap and no one worries about mileage or dealer service history.

Supercharged Mini Cooper S. It has of course been modified so reasonably quick, addictive noise, small, and wheel in each corner go card handling.

And the winner is the Mini, as it just gives back so much of a feeling of fun driving (even if I am going slowly), and even a drive to the supermarket gives me a smile. The elise is a close second as its in bits at the moment, and its not a car for old men as its not easy to get into, and it very funny to see old men try and get out. They normally exit on all fours with a total loss of dignity

Name
    birdseye

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Thats a surprisingly difficult question for me to answer, as my cars all have a different mission.

Audi s3 Massively capable wet or dry, very quick point to point vehicle, and Haldex makes it virtually idiot proof. It lack soul and you sometimes feel like computers are driving the car for you.

911 Carrera 3.2 plate type LSD and rear weight bias gives outstanding traction, throw in some steering lock and the car might want to ignore you steering ideas and launch into a straight line. Yes it is trying its best to kill you, but being air cooled it sounds lovely.

Ferrari 430. Capristo gives epic noise and effortless performance, but you cant really use it on the road and I have only driven it very hard once in the 7 years I have owned it (I dont drive like I have miss daisy on board !!) . I have now decided is wasted as a road car

MX5 BBR turbo. Fun and surprisingly good handling but slow.

Elise with 450 BHP Rotrex Supercharged Civic type r engine, modified everything (I think the chassis and radiator cap are the only original things left on the car ) No driver aids and under 800 KG, and just so fast nothing else will keep up with it. Probably the quickest point to point vehicle I will ever own, but for me not as intimidating to drive on the limit as the 430. Parts are silly cheap and no one worries about mileage or dealer service history.

Supercharged Mini Cooper S. It has of course been modified so reasonably quick, addictive noise, small, and wheel in each corner go card handling.

And the winner is the Mini, as it just gives back so much of a feeling of fun driving (even if I am going slowly), and even a drive to the supermarket gives me a smile. The elise is a close second as its in bits at the moment, and its not a car for old men as its not easy to get into, and it very funny to see old men try and get out. They normally exit on all fours with a total loss of dignity
    Interesting comments. My feeling about my own 430 was the same as yours, and that was in part the reason why I went "backwards" to a manual 360 rather than forwards to a 458 or 488. And yes, when I had an Elise, I would rate it as more fun than any of the many Ferraris I have driven even with just 200 bhp. Fun on pothole and scamera and traffic infested UK roads cannot ever be about power and speed - it has to be much more about 60 mph down a B or C road, carving up roundabouts etc.

Perhaps because I can remember what it was like to thrash an old Mini cross country in the 60s, with no motorways or cameras and sod all traffic, that I find there is less and less fun in driving anything in the UK these days.