Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 348/355 HVAC air route

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Slightly bizarrely looking inside the top of the airbox there is a significant lip that an air filter would sit on and which the flap below isnít long enough to reach. Itís almost as if it was designed to take a filter but thereís none in there and Iíve never seen one in a 348.

Caked with pollen in there as wellÖ..

Name:  510F2B94-0A8C-4498-A451-9987FB81A203.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  40.5 KB

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Gross error check - if the flap below can’t touch this and the filter was exactly this size (175mm x 100mm) and so can’t fit past the lip it’s sitting on (and if it’s a cabin air filter designed to let air through but take out pollen and not a piece of card) why wouldn’t this work?

As I say, looks like it’s designed to have one as the big lip on both sides of the intake which is high enough to be clear of the directing flap below serves no other purpose……

Name:  46ABDFB3-8DBA-45CE-AEA7-E3AE24A54869.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  F8D3797C-F031-409D-B48D-A5127C288F9D.jpg
Size:  42.4 KB
    Last edited by Nosevi; 12-06-2021 at 11:19 AM.

irarref is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

If you look at a 430 its sort of in the position your imagining it should go...

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/f...tilation-42739

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

I think in your position I'd just butcher a cheap new pollen filter from EuroCarParts and bodge it in there for a short term fix. Of course, I wouldn't know if restricting the airflow would have any negative effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Re driving around in the bubble, it does inflate off the car battery if the 240 supply fails and filters the air going in so maybe it's an option
    Why don't you try to inflate it inside the car? That way you could do away with the suggested supports and we could do with a laugh.
    Last edited by Kyodo; 12-06-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by irarref View Post
    If you look at a 430 its sort of in the position your imagining it should go...

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/f...tilation-42739
    Yep, that would seem the obvious place to put it and as I say, with a lip inside the airbox which serves no other purpose it seems designed to accept a filter but I canít for the life of me find a filter exactly that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    I think in your position I'd just butcher a cheap new pollen filter from EuroCarParts and bodge it in there for a short term fix. Of course, I wouldn't know if restricting the airflow would have any negative effect.
    Iím certain a slight restriction on cabin air flow wonít - modern pollen filters are extremely unrestrictive, the air isnít really cooling anything (other than me) so you can just run the fan 1 notch higher (blasts air out so never use it close to max) and when driving thereíll be so much over pressure going through that top vent the difference between being stopped and going 70mph will be many times the difference of air going through a filter.

I think if I just cut down a paper filter itíll possibly buckle and end up going down the shoot so what Iím looking at is asking my mate who has a 3D printer to knock me up this out of black plastic:

Name:  12EFAA08-6316-4E80-8397-C846D6340FAD.jpg
Size:  34.4 KB

To essentially fit here:

Name:  D6EEAF42-D004-4AF6-9AE1-F4481E1F025A.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  41.9 KB

Then I can cut down a paper cabin pollen filter to sit on top in the summer and perhaps remove it in the winter. If the Ďframeí is held in place and the filter is slightly oversized to wedged in a bit with airflow from top to bottom and the bonnet stopping it rise anyway, it could possibly be a neat solution.

If the ledges inside the airbox inlet arenít for a filter Iím really struggling to work out what they are for ?!?!?!

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    Why don't you try to inflate it inside the car? That way you could do away with the suggested supports and we could do with a laugh.

Garvin is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Garvin

Why use a 3D printer? Get some flat sheet ABS plastic and simply cut to shape.
    I like red & cream!

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Why use a 3D printer? Get some flat sheet ABS plastic and simply cut to shape.
    Yep, could go down that route although my mate just messaged me back and said he could easily and quickly fabricate it from Aluminium sheet. He has a motorbike workshop and makes some parts himself so has quite a few tools. Useful mate to have. He’s away doing repairs/tyres/tuning etc at a race day but said that’d be the quickest, easiest and maybe better option than using plastic.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 12-06-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Name
    Pete

Was just thinking short term I can simply select recycle air on the HVAC so I’m taking air from the cabin, cooling it and blowing it back into the cabin. It was then I found the problem I didn’t know I had and no one else spotted from the photos.

The flap that should shut off air going in the top is at the bottom under the blue arrow, the upper edge should be connected to a spindle at the red arrow, it was just lying at the bottom of the air box:

Name:  4A2494AC-7F19-430B-A2EA-8515ECE8DBC4.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  44.4 KB

At some point, no idea when, the spindle which appears to be plastic has snapped:

Name:  FA88AE6D-E260-4DC0-A34F-303FBC9EA72A.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  52.9 KB

Motor works when I select between outside air and recycled, I can see the broken end turning, there’s just nothing attached to it.

Obviously a short term fix it to just blank off the top of the airbox if I want recycled air and not pollen and open a window for fresh air Longer term I feel this is very much a winter job as it’ll hopefully involve taking out the boot liner to gain full access and probably be a faff but could involve removal of the whole unit to get good enough access to fix it.

So actually I did have an issue, it just wasn’t the lack of a filter. Not sure how long it would have been before I noticed it had I not been trying to work out how to fit a pollen filter.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 12-06-2021 at 07:17 PM.

Name
    Pete

As an aside, those ledges inside that appear to serve no purpose? Their purpose is when the flap cycles up and hits them the motor stops. Assuming of course the flap is attached to the spindle and not lying in the bottom of the box.........

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast