Thread: 355 5.2 Motronic hesitation (?) around 2000rpm

Name
    alan neill

Default 355 5.2 Motronic hesitation (?) around 2000rpm

I've just had a few issues sorted with my car. A destroyed catalyst, new clutch, loose exhaust connectors fixed, cat bypass valve working again after being welded open years ago by previous owner. So, I'm poorer in pocket but richer in life.
    Before all these issues were fixed I would get a misfire/hestitation to accelerate around 2000-2500rpm, I actually had to drive to my mechanic at about 5500rpm in 3 rd gear to keep the engine from cutting out two weeks ago.
    Oil pressure good, plugs changed, gaskets all replaced on cam covers, water temperature normal, no slow down lights. There are bound to be a few Error codes stored in the ECU which we've not been able to clear . Ticks over at 1000rpm smoothly and revs / accelerates well once past the 2500rpm limit.
    The problem tended to occur after about ten minutes driving so I'm guessing a heat related issue , no doubt the bust catalyst wasn't helping previously,but it happened again today when driving home. Not nearly as bad as two weeks ago but I could sense it again after 5-10 minutes of driving. Fresh Super unleaded fuel in it.

Any thoughts on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Could it be the ignition packs? I remember distantly in an old MGB I had that the ignition coil would act up when hot.

Thanks, Alan

irarref is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

Ignition coils are the same between 348 and 355 so why not borrow one to test :-)

I'd also check your ignition leads - one of mine was broken at the point it joined the plug

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

I'm outof the country at them moment but have spare coils you can borrow 👍

Name
    Ian Riddell

The codes would still be helpful. Do you have an OBD2 reader with a "Fiat" 3 pin adaptor?

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/32276628...sAAOSw5VtZw2QV

Don't buy a Goliton brand adaptor. The plugs are a bad fit.

Name
    alan neill

I bought a 3 pin pin adaptor for OBD reader . We could read the codes but not erase them . Any suggestions for a good reader or software that can be used?

Thank you for the offer of the ignition packs to try, if you could send me a PM when you are back it would be great to borrow them.

Thanks to all as always.

Name
    Ian Riddell

Quote Originally Posted by alan n View Post
    I bought a 3 pin pin adaptor for OBD reader . We could read the codes but not erase them .
    Strange. I thought all readers had an erase function. I guess it depends on your budget, location, etc, but the bluetooth ones like BlueDriver seem to be popular. The ones capable of creating graphs and showing live data are probably the most useful. Knock on wood, so far I haven't had much use for one. I just went for a budget scanner (less than 50 UKP). It didn't have any specific Ferrari settings, but managed to get it working using either Audi or BMW selected. I can't remember the name, but I probably wouldn't recommend it anyway. It didn't have a lot of functions.

I would just Google for scanner names. Get a list of brands and models and then search for these on the popular Ferrari websites to see if anyone has had problems with them.