Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First F430 advice please

Name
    Bing

Default First F430 advice please

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting my first F430 (also considering a Gallardo LP560 please don't shoot me), max budget is about £85K

Apart from the items below is there anything else I need to look out for?-

Clutch reading (at what % should it be changed)
    Manifolds
    Ball joints
    Leather shrinkage in dash
    Sticky buttons
    Bent rims apparently

I've heard the later the model the better the quality and reliabbility of the is this so?

I've seen 2 potential cars

Car 1
    2008 F1
    13K on the clock
    Black
    FFSH last one done 200 miles ago in 2020
    Last health check with Ferarri revealed no issues that needed attention apart from rear brake binding, is this an expensive fix as they're carbon ceramic brakes

Car 2
    2007 F1
    11K on the clock
    Black
    FFSH will be supplied with a fresh service by mail dealer
    Chaged all 4 tyres
    New brake pads front and rear
    Both tie rod ends and Ball joints done (not sure when)
    Manifolds changed in 2012
    This can is about 7K more then car 1 but is at a main Ferrari dealer

Do the CCB makes a huge difference on road driving, and will they last?

Thanks in advance

B

Name
    Mark

Assuming that the condition checks out, then given that this is an F1 car the 2008 is the one to go for. The rear brake binding will be sticking caliper pistons. A common problem that is easily remedied for not a lot of money.

The 430 is a much better drivers car than the Gallardo.

Good luck.

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by BingBonger View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting my first F430 (also considering a Gallardo LP560 please don't shoot me), max budget is about £85K

Apart from the items below is there anything else I need to look out for?-

Clutch reading (at what % should it be changed) [My clutch was only 30% worn at 30k miles] they need re-calibrating every other year
    Manifolds [These are an if not yet when failure]
    Ball joints [Factory ball joints as above so need switching to stainless Hip Engineering items - if the car is low mileage these are likely to need doing the first service after it starts getting used]
    Leather shrinkage in dash [Garaged cars obviously suffer less]
    Sticky buttons [ Depend on skin PH of owner(s)]
    Bent rims apparently [The stock rims more so it seems]

I've heard the later the model the better the quality and reliabbility of the is this so?

I've seen 2 potential cars

Car 1
    2008 F1
    13K on the clock
    Black
    FFSH last one done 200 miles ago in 2020
    Last health check with Ferarri revealed no issues that needed attention apart from rear brake binding, is this an expensive fix as they're carbon ceramic brakes

[Shouldn't be an expensive fix but if the car has spent a lot of time stood still the pistons in the callipers can get micro-corroded and cause issues. Hill Engineering does stainless kits to replace the low grade factory items.]

2008 car has later electronics and many other under the skin upgrades..

Car 2
    2007 F1
    11K on the clock
    Black
    FFSH will be supplied with a fresh service by mail dealer
    Changed all 4 tyres [Likely the OG pirelli's were shot]
    New brake pads front and rear
    Both tie rod ends and Ball joints done (not sure when) [See above]
    Manifolds changed in 2012 [Likely the second set mine had three under warranty until i had had enough and changed them]
    This can is about 7K more then car 1 but is at a main Ferrari dealer

Do the CCB makes a huge difference on road driving, and will they last?
    [Yes: the standard car is very under braked for fast mountain / autobahn road trip braking and even more so for track day use as it carried over the 360 system, also reduction of unsprung weight transforms the handling of a CCM vs. Steel brake car - My CCM's in my 599 lasted 30,000 miles so i reckons my 430's will last 35-40k miles - so far wear rates are along these lines ]

[My F430 had steel brakes from the factory and they were exposed on the first serious road trip]

Thanks in advance

B
    My comments above in [Square Brackets]

I would go for the 2008 car...

PS dont bother with a Gallardo as they run and feel like a car that is half a generation behind the F430 - much more expensive to service as well
    Last edited by Modificato; 16-08-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Name
    Bing

Thanks guys.

Will try and look at the cars over then next week or so.

Name
    birdseye

Both cars will have the later manifolds and so shouldnt have an issue , though there are people who will tell you otherwise. Personally I would go for a car with a full Capristo set up for peace of mind - wittering about manifolds with my 2008 car rather spolied the experience.

The clutch reading isnt that reliable and clutch life can easily be as low as 10k miles - my own was done at 11k. Better a car with a new clutch than one at 11000 miles with the original clutch. Even then the nature of the transmission means that cluthc life wont be brilliant. Astons with a similar set up have a similar problem.

Suspension joints are consumeables. Check the bolts holding the doors and the wings to see if any have been played with indicating a shunt. Check panel gaps.

I sold my 430 and via an interim toy decided to go backwards rather than go for a 458 or 488 both of which I could comfortably afford. Instead I went for a 360 manual which I much prefer. More analogue, more of a real sports car, less electronic. Sure its slower but whether you have 400 bhp of 500 or even 600 is in reality academic outside a race track. Its fun that counts.

One last word. The Ferrari guarantee you get when buying from a dealer is worth sod all. For example, the manifolds on a 430 arent covered by it!

Name
    Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post

One last word. The Ferrari guarantee you get when buying from a dealer is worth sod all. For example, the manifolds on a 430 arent covered by it!
    I have to say my experience of this is very different. Just last month, two years after getting my F430 as an Approved car, I experienced gear selection issues. My local dealer, who weren’t the ones I bought the car from, were right on it and couldn’t have more helpful. The issue was fixed with absolutely no cost to me and they also did some additional bits and bobs for me while the car in, again at no expense to me. They also gave the car a comprehensive check over with a written report. I am pretty much at the end of the New Power 15 warranty which does cover quite a lot to be far, albeit not as much as a car with the full New Power warranty.

I was willing to pay more to have this peace of mind and it payed off. It was overall a very positive experience.

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Stero View Post
    I have to say my experience of this is very different. Just last month, two years after getting my F430 as an Approved car, I experienced gear selection issues. My local dealer, who weren’t the ones I bought the car from, were right on it and couldn’t have more helpful. The issue was fixed with absolutely no cost to me and they also did some additional bits and bobs for me while the car in, again at no expense to me. They also gave the car a comprehensive check over with a written report. I am pretty much at the end of the New Power 15 warranty which does cover quite a lot to be far, albeit not as much as a car with the full New Power warranty.

I was willing to pay more to have this peace of mind and it payed off. It was overall a very positive experience.
    The factory has been actively working with the dealerships - particularly in the last five years - to take back aftermarket share from the Indies for older tipo cars.

They have also continued to encourage owners to use their cars more and set up the dealerships as social hubs for enjoying the brand.

The dealership standards are laid down to encourage this but of course Covid has impacted that a lot.

Would be good to name-and-fame the dealership you have had a good experience with.

What is also new is that if you are interested in eventual 'classiche' status for your car you can access a program of rolling refurbishment and care for critical components for your car this might be an ideal path for you as you get to the end of your warranty. The upside is significant discounts on parts and labour and some great bundling of upgrades to suit the pace and pocket you want to proceed at.

Name
    Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post

Would be good to name-and-fame the dealership you have had a good experience with.
    It was Graypaul Birmingham

Name
    Bing

Update so I saw car today and tbh it was in good condition, it had a couple of issues that need looking into and they are going to address them, some wear in the drivers side seat bolsters, sticky buttons and a slight blemish on the drivers door nothing noticeable, they are offering a warrentyWise warranty over the Ferrari Power one as they say the WW covers more then the Power one. In the mean time I've seen ANOTHER car again at a main dealer offering 2 years Power warranty. Is the warranty woth it?

thanks

Name
    Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by BingBonger View Post
    Update so I saw car today and tbh it was in good condition, it had a couple of issues that need looking into and they are going to address them, some wear in the drivers side seat bolsters, sticky buttons and a slight blemish on the drivers door nothing noticeable, they are offering a warrentyWise warranty over the Ferrari Power one as they say the WW covers more then the Power one. In the mean time I've seen ANOTHER car again at a main dealer offering 2 years Power warranty. Is the warranty woth it?

thanks
    Is it worth it? It all depends what goes wrong, if it goes wrong at all. I would certainly prefer a Ferrari warranty and an Approved 109 point check with potential work carried out by Ferrari people than the alternative. You pays yer money…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast