Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifeboatboy's Road Trips

Name
    Lifeboatboy

Default Lifeboatboy's Road Trips

I'd never taken my 348 up to Wales, so on Tuesday I shoved my tent, stove and cameras under the bonnet at about 11.00, and by mid-afternoon I was entering Wales.

Name:  Entering Wales small.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  40.2 KB

I thought it might be our last decent weather for the Summer, so it seemed like a good use of my time :-)

Name:  Roadside 1 small.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  74.8 KB

Turned out I was right. By the time Bill Withers' Lovely Day came on my playlist, you can just imagine the grin on my face.

Name:  Ferrari Roads small.jpg
Size:  38.5 KB

In Surrey Ferraris are 2-a-penny, but in Wales everyone stops to wave and smile, demanding a toot or a Scuderia Scream from the engine.

Name:  Valleys 1 small.jpg
Size:  48.8 KB

The roads are an absolute dream to wind around, and with the roof down on a sunny day, is there anyone who wouldn't call that 'living the dream'?

Name:  Lakes 1 small.jpg
Size:  36.0 KB

The scenery is amazing. It's also more varied than I find road trips around Scotland to be <<awaits backlash from the wannabee breakaway republic>>

Name:  Roadside 2 small.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  49.3 KB

Of course midweek it's quieter than weekends, but for those of us habitually sitting in traffic jams on the M25 or South Circular, it's just pure unadulterated joy.

Name:  Valleys 2 small.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  51.6 KB

I pulled into a pub, had a shandy, found a campsite on 'Pitchup' and went to set out my stall.

Name:  Campsite Wales 1 small.jpg
Size:  63.5 KB

I wouldn't ordinarily drink Bell's as a rule, but for steak flambe it's my 'go to' whisky

Name:  Steak flambe.jpg
Size:  52.9 KB

I watched the sun go down over an almost empty campsite (farmer's field), with a full belly of steak and wine.

Name:  Welsh Sunset small.jpg
Size:  22.2 KB

Next morning I was at The Loop by 9.30 in the hope of spotting some jets.

Name:  The Loop small.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  32.2 KB

Sure enough at about 12.00, the Septics in their F15s tried to knock me off the side of the mountain by flying just a little lower than I was expecting.

Name:  F15 at The Loop small.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  37.8 KB

All in all, a good use of 36 hours' British weather, countryside and hospitality. Thank you Wales! I absolutely loved it!

A348W is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Great pics Good to hear you had fun.

(Will be up there Sunday in my 348 and now feel obliged to take some pics; but they wont be as good!)

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Great pics Good to hear you had fun.
    +1

Particularly like the throw the tent in the car and go attitude. Can be a bit precious about my car occasionally (ok, slight understatement.....), nice when people show you you don't have to be

irarref is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

Looks like a great trip - should of wrapped your steak n tin foil and cooked it on the engine! ;-')

Name
    Lifeboatboy

Default South Coast & South Downs (new)

I didn't feel it appropriate to keep reposting every time I do a trip, especially since it's now my modus operandi to just wake up, decide and go. I figure the only people that will read this might be mildly interested, and therefore won't object.

So on Saturday I did just that, this time heading South. Direction, destination and route all 100% entirely dictated by weather, traffic conditions and what sound like fun. I was heading towards Norfolk, but when Google Maps said 35-minute delay on the M25, I turned right at Reigate and just kept going South to the coast.

At Brighton I turned left and followed the coast until I needed a campsite. Next day I set off early,m kept going until about 2-ish (nearly at Dover), and turned around for home. I headed back the way I'd come (I wasn't interested in motorways), and stumbled upon the A21. OMG! The A21 from Hastings to Sevenoaks (M25), has to be the best Sunday morning fun a man on his own in a car should have. I admit I may have succumbed to the occasional infringement of traffic regulations, but only in the 70 zones. And I will also admit that I took a very immature, childish and frankly excessive pleasure in passing the boy racer in his 2021 911, who really didn't think I'd get past him. If I'm honest, I was a bit surprised too but I had max. torque at 7,000 from 3rd to 4th, and she just screeched past it. As I say, I may have fractured a regulatory guideline at that point. But that aside - ridiculous fun. The slower you go, the more people stop, smile, wave and so on.

Name:  P1010571.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  P1010578_Moment.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  P1010576 small.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  73.5 KB

Anyone know if it's possible to post video on here? I suspect not, but just in case...

Name
    Lifeboatboy

I also thought this might be of interest (to someone), just because so many people en route are amazed at the Tardis-like capacity of a 348...

Attachment 157166
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeboatboy View Post

Anyone know if it's possible to post video on here? I suspect not, but just in case...
    Easiest way is to Youtube it then post a link. Just be careful which clips you post - people have come a cropper if it's obvious from the clip that they inadvertently strayed a mile per hour or two over the limit

Regarding the posts, I'm certainly interested so you've got one avid reader. If you want to rename the thread (Lifeboatboy's Road Trips or something similar) then drop me a PM and I'll change it.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeboatboy View Post
    I also thought this might be of interest (to someone), just because so many people en route are amazed at the Tardis-like capacity of a 348...

Attachment 157166
    Again, interesting to me. Have never actually packed up the 348 like this, impressive what you can get in when you do

A348W is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Interesting thread; always interesting to see what other people get up to.

Personally I just put 2-3 north face duffle bags in; more than enough for us, noting we don’t camp!!!

Keep posting your trips, really good antidote to picnic baskets, Panama hats and blazers! (Mod?)

Name
    Lifeboatboy

Thanks chaps. I didn’t want to come across as abusing the forum, nor being self-indulgent. I’ve been given a 2nd life that arguably other people deserved more, so I’m simply trying not to take another second for granted. Choosing to ‘retire’ earlier this year, and now using the 348 to tour the UK without an agenda, is my interim until COVID travel restrictions let me loose.

Ref YouTube: I won’t, but not for the speedo thing (I’m always fascinated by some people’s naiievety). It was just to drop in a couple of vids of F15s flying low over The Loop. If you’ve never done it: recommended (albeit luck of the Gods re: weather, timing, aircraft etc). I nearly fell off the mountain 😂.

Ref “Lifeboatboy’s Road Trips”: brilliant idea, if you don’t mind making the name change? I suspect at some point I’ll move to Plan B, but for now it’s ridiculously good fun and reminding me that owning the car without really‘enjoying’ it, is almost an abuse of how lucky I am.

Ref luggage I wouldn’t usually camp and I did the same when I stayed in hotels and B&Bs etc. But as a single bloke, denying to myself that I get a stiff back sleeping in a field, is all part of the fun 🤩.

Thanks again. Wednesday looks like good weather again somewhere, so let the Weather Ladies determine my next stop :-).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast