Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 360 Modena Rattles

peter white is offline Essex boy's Ford Capri Club Member
    Name
    Peter White

Default 360 Modena Rattles

I have a year 2000 360 Modena that has done approx. 45000 miles. Usually I drive it by myself with my favourite music on reasonably loud.
    My wife decided she would come out with me today and, unfortunately, doesn't share my taste in music. Consequently I turned the music off.
    I was surprised by the number of rattles I could hear. I know it is a very subjective thing but would be interested to know whether other 360 owners think their car rattles a lot.
    Also, if anybody has identified any common causes for this ?
    Thanks, Pete

Name
    Mark Blanchard

No rattles on mine. Could be many things. Are the rattles from the cabin or suspension / engine bay?

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Not sure if it's possible it could be the same thing but my 348 squeaked and rattled a bit. Tracked it to the engine cover. Fix was to fit new gas struts as mine had well and truly gone and didn't hold the engine lid up. Seems when there's no upward pressure on my engine lid it rattles on the less than smooth roads around me. With the new struts the engine cover opens itself when I undo the catch in the car and the rattle has completely gone.

Gas struts cost about £12 each in Ferrari packaging I seem to remember and just a couple of bolts to undo at either end to remove/refit, was a very easy fix.

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Not sure if it's possible it could be the same thing but my 348 squeaked and rattled a bit. Tracked it to the engine cover. Fix was to fit new gas struts as mine had well and truly gone and didn't hold the engine lid up. Seems when there's no upward pressure on my engine lid it rattles on the less than smooth roads around me. With the new struts the engine cover opens itself when I undo the catch in the car and the rattle has completely gone.

Gas struts cost about £12 each in Ferrari packaging I seem to remember and just a couple of bolts to undo at either end to remove/refit, was a very easy fix.
    Good morning Pete.

I agree that the engine cover struts would definitely be worth a look especially at that price, possibly also check the catch is not allowing allowing any excess movement.
    However I suspect your struts will have had a lot more use than the other Peteís 360 and obviously will have spent a lot of time supporting your engine cover being a 348, how many sets now? 😎😎
    ( I thought your last post on the 348 or 355 thread was very amusing BTW, made me smile anyway)

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    Good morning Pete.

I agree that the engine cover struts would definitely be worth a look especially at that price, possibly also check the catch is not allowing allowing any excess movement.
    However I suspect your struts will have had a lot more use than the other Peteís 360 and obviously will have spent a lot of time supporting your engine cover being a 348, how many sets now? 😎😎
    ( I thought your last post on the 348 or 355 thread was very amusing BTW, made me smile anyway)
    Hi Ian. This is the first time I've changed them in over 10 years ownership. They weren't great when I got the car so not sure if they were original or perhaps second set. Certainly when I got the car the engine lid just about stayed open on the struts especially when the engine was warm but certainly wouldn't open up just by releasing the catch in the car.

The comment to Malc was slightly tongue in cheek although he didn't exactly get lucky in terms of reliability with his 355

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Hi Ian. This is the first time I've changed them in over 10 years ownership. They weren't great when I got the car so not sure if they were original or perhaps second set. Certainly when I got the car the engine lid just about stayed open on the struts especially when the engine was warm but certainly wouldn't open up just by releasing the catch in the car.

The comment to Malc was slightly tongue in cheek although he didn't exactly get lucky in terms of reliability with his 355
    I¬’m sure you realised my comment was the same. My car has not hurt me too much but as you say there is probably an element of luck with these cars, especially electrics.
    Had my early 355 (95) almost 20 years now and needed to change the struts when the car was about 14 years old, presumably the originals back then but that was about 12 years ago and the replacements are getting past their best now.

peter white is offline Essex boy's Ford Capri Club Member
    Name
    Peter White

Thanks for all the comments, I will check out the engine lid struts, although they are holding the lid up with no problem at all.
    As for the suspension, everything is good apart from there being a very slight bit of play in the nearside track rod end which was noted on the last MOT.
    I will be putting the car off the road at the end of this month and doing a comprehensive service on it which will give me a good opportunity to check out everything underneath
    when I take the underside panels off (I am lucky I have my own 2 post lift.)
    Just like to say that I think your 360 looks great Mark and enjoying your posts about the work you are doing on it.
    Pete

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    Iím sure you realised my comment was the same.

Name
    Mark Blanchard

Quote Originally Posted by peter white View Post
    Just like to say that I think your 360 looks great Mark and enjoying your posts about the work you are doing on it.
    Pete
    Thanks. I hope you get the rattle sorted.

Name
    cgt

Get the door cards off and put some sound deadening in. Adds a fraction of weight but works wonders.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast