Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prospective 360 owner

Name
    Mr S

Default prospective 360 owner

I've been looking at older Porsches, as something to have a sunny Sunday blast across Dartmoor in while I very very slowly get my 240z rebuilt.

However, this has caused a drift to the 360's as it just feels like it'd be more of an 'event'

I've been digging into running costs(circa 5k over 3 years?), however, how much are they depreciating also? circa 4k per year? I'm just trying to work out actual costs over 3 years based on doing 3-4000 miles a year.

Can you set them up to work on bumpy a+B roads(ish!?).

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

I'd say they've done most of their depreciating now. It's obviously impossible to predict the market with 100% accuracy but at this point in the 360's 'life' I'd say it's about movement of the market for older Ferraris rather than a steady depreciation. Older cars such as the 308, 328, 348 and 355 have all gone up in value considerably over the past 10 years and most of that jump was within a 5 year timeframe. Will 360s follow suit? Impossible to say but they might. I doubt you'll lose anything through depreciation though, even adding 9,000 miles as most 360s will gain miles over that period as well.

Name
    Mr S

Thank you for the reply.

So a spider, 2001ish, manual 35k, what's the going rate? Same for a coupe?

I do like the bucket seats.

sssdu01 is online now No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by bingbongbing View Post

I've been digging into running costs(circa 5k over 3 years?), however, how much are they depreciating also? circa 4k per year? I'm just trying to work out actual costs over 3 years based on doing 3-4000 miles a year.
    I am an expert at man maths and can make a sound case to buy just about anything. However how do you manage to get 5K running cost ?? Tax, insurance, service, tyres (You will need at least one set in 3 years, as they just go off and the car will be difficult to drive anywhere near the limit on time expired tyres). At 4000 miles you will spend close on 2k on just the fuel

You should also factor in some new oily bits over the course of 3 years. Typically the suspension ball joints are made of soft cheese and are likely to need changing, along with the flanblocks etc. Even if you are good with spanners for a diy project, the parts alone are just stupidly expensive (Suspension refresh circa 2.5k in just parts)

I dont want to rain on anyone parade but these arent cheap cars to run, and a poorly maintained Ferrari will be very very difficult to sell on.

Name
    Mr S

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    I am an expert at man maths and can make a sound case to buy just about anything. However how do you manage to get 5K running cost ?? Tax, insurance, service, tyres (You will need at least one set in 3 years, as they just go off and the car will be difficult to drive anywhere near the limit on time expired tyres). At 4000 miles you will spend close on 2k on just the fuel

You should also factor in some new oily bits over the course of 3 years. Typically the suspension ball joints are made of soft cheese and are likely to need changing, along with the flanblocks etc. Even if you are good with spanners for a diy project, the parts alone are just stupidly expensive (Suspension refresh circa 2.5k in just parts)

I dont want to rain on anyone parade but these arent cheap cars to run, and a poorly maintained Ferrari will be very very difficult to sell on.
    I mean 5k over 3 years in 'normal servicing' so run of the mill with one larger bill(cambelts etc). obviously not including fuel/insurance etc.

Name
    Mr S

Name
    Mark Blanchard

That's a nice looking car. The expense also depends on how much or little you drive it, how hard you drive it and where you get it serviced and maintained. If you're tracking the car regularly or using it as your main car it's going to cost more than an occasional Sunday drive. If you don't use it, it will also cost money and they don't like to stand. Tax depends on the year, mine's a 2000 so costs 280 per year. Limited mileage insurance policy can cost 400 per year depending on your age and no claims. And servicing will cost 1000-2000 per year at an Independent, as long as nothing serious goes wrong otherwise it's serious money.

Get a car that's been maintained by a Ferrari main dealer and have some spare money in the bank.

Good luck. They're great cars.

Name
    jos

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blanchard View Post
    Get a car that's been maintained by a Ferrari main dealer
    There are very few of these cars still in the network and perhaps I'm misunderstanding but what's the logic if you're also suggesting independent service from now on ? Surely there's no significant downside to a car that has a sensible history from a sensible independent ?

Name
    Mark Blanchard

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    There are very few of these cars still in the network and perhaps I'm misunderstanding but what's the logic if you're also suggesting independent service from now on ? Surely there's no significant downside to a car that has a sensible history from a sensible independent ?
    I didn't explain myself properly, but getting a car that's been to a Ferrari main dealer if you can, for the last 4-5 services is a good idea as they will sort out current problems and guard against future problems. Yes, they're probably rare, but no harm in looking.
    I guess i was lucky with mine, 8 years prior servicing at a Main Dealer.

Name
    Ian

Not sure where you are in the south west but as you mention Dartmoor I guess you are not too far from Carrs of Exeter.
    I would have a chat with them. I always found them friendly and helpful and if you do take the plunge, their service department is very fair with their pricing especially on the older models. Tell them we sent you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast