Thread: Ferrari 360 won’t hit red line…

Name
    lewis gregory

Default Ferrari 360 won’t hit red line…

Hi,

I’ve been offered a 360 that is a really good deal. The car won’t Rev past 7500 rpm so
    I’m trying to find out why.

It drives absolutely fine apart from this, but stutters and won’t exceed 7500rpm.

Any suggestions on what this could be?

Many Thanks,

Lewis

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Have you driven other 360's ?? If you haven't or aren't used to driving car like it it may seem fine but in reality might drive like a complete turd by comparison to a good un

The high power/ wide spread of torque/drivability etc comes from complex variable valve timing/plenum management etc. If any of this stuff isnt working it is likely effect the way a car revs. There are some horrendously expensive potential problems, so I would get the car to a proper dealer with Ferrari diagnostics kit, and get them to read any fault codes etc. You might get lucky and find an indy who has managed to get the "official" Leonardo diagnostics (through some sort of dodgy deal !!), but I wouldn't chance it and would only take this problem to a franchised dealer for diagnostics. Just be honest with them and say you are thinking about buying the car but it doesn't rev, so can they plug in to see any fault codes. If the seller isnt happy for you to do this then look for another car.

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Have you driven other 360's ?? If you haven't or aren't used to driving car like it it may seem fine but in reality might drive like a complete turd by comparison to a good un

The high power/ wide spread of torque/drivability etc comes from complex variable valve timing/plenum management etc. If any of this stuff isnt working it is likely effect the way a car revs. There are some horrendously expensive potential problems, so I would get the car to a proper dealer with Ferrari diagnostics kit, and get them to read any fault codes etc. You might get lucky and find an indy who has managed to get the "official" Leonardo diagnostics (through some sort of dodgy deal !!), but I wouldn't chance it and would only take this problem to a franchised dealer for diagnostics. Just be honest with them and say you are thinking about buying the car but it doesn't rev, so can they plug in to see any fault codes. If the seller isnt happy for you to do this then look for another car.
    diagnostic usually costs an hour labour

Name
    lewis gregory

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post

Yes I am familiar with these cars, have been out in a few and have owned quite a few Maserati’s Porsche’s, Alfa’s etc. I’m also a mechanical deign engineer who has worked on cars for nearly 20 years as a hobby including full restorations, engine rebuilds and maintenance on complex cars. I just wondered if anyone understood any key things to consider specific to this engine about what happens at 7500 rpm, does the engine change cam profile (like vtec or vvtli) or have variable length inlet geometry etc. That kicks in at 7500rpm That could help explain the issue. Could the car have revs restricted if it was hired out in a past life. I have a fairly reasonable attitude to risk, am not scared of high mileage and would probably work on the car myself with no regard for resale value as I plan to drive it a lot and keep it - just would like to bounce my own thoughts off against someone else to see if I’m Mad.

A348W is online now Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Lewis,

Whilst there is some very knowledgeable owners on here, if you have not done so already, it may be beneficial to join and search FerrariChat; where there are greater numbers and thus potential that somebody has already come across this issue and potential causes etc. Search the specific 360/430 Forum.

(Just make sure to keep your conversations there purely technical; its US based and they are rather sensitive soles to anything that could be even remotely be construed as political/ racist etc!)

If you do get this car, please do post up a thread of how you sort it out. We love a technical thread.

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Default Ferrari 360 won’t hit red line…

Are the exhaust valves opening about 4-5k. That’s very noticeable.
    Inlets have a variable length but are really about torque, as is the VVT, so I’d expect it to rev out anyway in low gears…. If mine, I’d look at mis-fires from a bad coil/plug then air leaks, air flow and fuelling.

FWIW with the car in Sport mine would readily bounce off the limiter which I think is around 8750 rpm.
    It was what I loved about the car. Very free revving….

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

^To re-iterate what Mike said ^, the car hits the redline very quickly and if I'm not paying attention the power is cut rapidly when I do.
    360's did have a recall for the variator on the VVT. Not sure if this would present itself like this though?

scrappydog is offline Pink pimped up Vauxhall Corsa Club Member
    Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Lewlew22 View Post
    Hi,
    but stutters and won’t exceed 7500rpm.
    You seem it imply that it stutters at lower revs and then struggles to go beyond 7,500rpm.

What revs is it at when the stuttering starts and does it do it more at high load or low load?

As Mark says, check the usual suspects (plus lambda sensors). Run an ODB diagnostic on it and also see what the exhaust gases are like.

If its fine up until 7,500rpm and then hits a brick wall then that sounds a bit unusual.