Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 348 exhaust decat sound with Larini

Name
    lewis gregory

Default Ferrari 348 exhaust decat sound with Larini

Hi all,

I bought my first Ferrari last week, a 348 TS. The car has a a Larini exhaust and decat fitted. It sounds amazing, but realistically is too loud for me as I will use the car a fair bit and my neighbours will not be impressed. What Iím trying to work out is, would fitting some standard cats back on reduce the noise enough, and would they make the engine feel a lot less responsive. Iíve had plenty of other cars with and without cats (Maseratiís, Alfaís, Porscheís) but the Ferrari exhaust is soo short Iím not sure on the effect. This is by far the loudest car Iíve ever had. Another 348 owner with a Tubi was shocked how loud it was, great for a rare treat but not so much for Long road trips.

Can anyone tell me how much louder their car with aftermarket exhaust got when they fitted decats?

Lewis

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Hi Lewis and welcome to CS. I've had my 348 TS for a little over 10 years now and am also Lincolnshire based.

The simple answer to your question is that fitting the standard cats back on will reduce the volume quite a bit but will also make the car feel less responsive. I changed my standard cats for modern high flow cats and even that made a big difference in the feel of the car, the standard ones are extremely restrictive it seems.

I actually have a Nouvalari Supersport which, if I'm honest is silly loud. De-catted it's be insane but even with the high flow cats on it's a bit deafening wide open. Luckily my neighbours either don't care or love it. When I had it fitted and it was louder than I expected I wrote a letter to all of them asking if it bothered them and whether they wanted me to change it. Responses ranged from not at all bothered to "Don't you dare, it sounds fantastic!" If it's just the neighbours that might have an issue why not ask them? Perhaps they won't mind at all.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 09-10-2021 at 09:28 AM.

Name
    Adrian

Mine was decatted when I bought it. I put high flow cats on, mainly for MOT.

To be honest there was next to no difference in noise or performance. So if you go this route you will need oem or oem style ones Iíd guess.

My 348 isnít overly noisy; and whilst I donít really care what my neighbours think Iím not personally keen on noisy pipes as i find them uncomfortable for longer trips. (Been there done that as a kid and have the hearing issues that go with it!)

Cheers
    A

BSM is offline Pink pimped up Vauxhall Corsa Club Member
    Name
    Ben

Welcome to the Forum Lewis,

I'm also a new member and perhaps more surprisingly Lincolnshire based too (North Lincs)... Where about are you in this fine county?

Like you, I've also just bought our first Ferrari. A 360 Modena. Hopefully collecting in a couple of weeks

Unfortunately, I can't offer much in the way of advice on your query but thought it would be worth adding a reply to say hello and introducing myself

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by BSM View Post
    Welcome to the Forum Lewis,

I'm also a new member and perhaps more surprisingly Lincolnshire based too (North Lincs)... Where about are you in this fine county?
    I think weíve practically doubled our Lincolnshire membership inside a week

Iím just south of Branston so not too far from Scu nthorpe now the Lincoln Eastern bypass is open.

Name
    lewis gregory

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I think weíve practically doubled our Lincolnshire membership inside a week

Iím just south of Branston so not too far from Scu nthorpe now the Lincoln Eastern bypass is open.
    I live just north of Bourne, but yes we should meet up. I nearly bought a 360 - nice cars

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Lewlew22 View Post
    I live just north of Bourne, but yes we should meet up. I nearly bought a 360 - nice cars
    Drive past you all the time as my parents and sister live in Stamford and I often take the back route down the A15. My place to Bourne is about 40 mins so to you will be something less than that.

Edit: Actually thinking about it I'm almost exactly at the mid point between you and Ben (BSM) driving along the A15
    Last edited by Nosevi; 09-10-2021 at 02:05 PM.

BSM is offline Pink pimped up Vauxhall Corsa Club Member
    Name
    Ben

Never been to Branston or Bourne specifically but passed through the surrounding areas several times when out and about on the Ducati innthe summer months

You being somewhere in the middle Pete sounds like a good enough excuse for the 3 of us to potentially arrange a meet up somewhere for a proper introduction, oggle at others cars and bar meal next year

Allandwf is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Allan Fisher

Default 348

If you fancy swapping back to the standard exhaust I'll quite happily swap mine lol. Ideally looking for a used Tubi, but like few and far between.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by BSM View Post
    Never been to Branston or Bourne specifically but passed through the surrounding areas several times when out and about on the Ducati innthe summer months

You being somewhere in the middle Pete sounds like a good enough excuse for the 3 of us to potentially arrange a meet up somewhere for a proper introduction, oggle at others cars and bar meal next year
    Sounds like a plan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast