Thread: F430 component speaker wiring - how to do it?

Name
    Daniel Tattersall

Default F430 component speaker wiring - how to do it?

Hi, I am trying to install some component speakers and am scratching my head regarding how to use the original factory connections for the woofers and tweeters. Is it possible or do I need to run new speaker cables to supply the crossover input and the woofer and tweeter outputs? I was hoping to be able to use the yellow woofer connection to feed the crossover input but there seems to be continuity between it and the tweeter. Does the factory installation include a crossover or are the woofer and tweeters fed by two wires that split off into four wires to feed them both? Ideally I don't really want to remove the vapour barrier on the door to work out how the wiring works but it is impossible for me to determine what is going on hence why I am hoping somebody would kindly be able to offer me some advice.

Thank you in advance,

Danny.

Name
    Mark

It's one wire pair into the doors and the feed to the tweeters are spliced into it; the OE tweeters have a small built-in filter. Use the original door wires to feed the crossover, and then new wires from crossover to the midrange and tweeters.

Name
    Daniel Tattersall

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    It's one wire pair into the doors and the feed to the tweeters are spliced into it; the OE tweeters have a small built-in filter. Use the original door wires to feed the crossover, and then new wires from crossover to the midrange and tweeters.
    Excellent, that makes sense thank you. I have now got to resolve a problem with slight corrosion in the door jamb molex connection causing really bad buzzing in the amplifier and opposite side door speaker. I've nicknamed it the Italian TVR for good reason. Thanks again.

Name
    Mark

I've seen that before. The seals aren't particularly good. Use a small copper wire brush - the ones that look like a toothbrush - to clean the terminals. Once the pins are clean add some dielectric grease to keep the corrosion away.