Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know this 355 spider?

Name
    Gavin

Question Does anyone know this 355 spider?

Hi Guys, long time no post... 10 years in fact, I got a "you haven't changed your password in 3622 days" message when I logged in

I've been looking to scratch the itch of a 355 for a looong time, and I'm now finally in the position to do so...

This one has popped up at Howard Wise, which is every single tick box I am looking for, namely, rosso/crema 355 f1 spider, challenge grill, capristo exhaust.
    Ferrari 355 F1 Spider - Howard Wise Cars

Does anyone know the car (Reg S445 ASF), and/or the dealer?

I've spoken with them already and am going to view it at the weekend.
    There are a couple of 'comparable' other cars out there, qcc have one, and rardleys have just listed a nice manual (but I did want the F1).

Any insights would be most helpful!
    Thanks in advance guys

Name
    Adrian

Good choose; love my 355 spider.

Don’t know that car; but other than the typical 355 things to look for; with the spider, check the hood operation a couple of times, lots of sensors to be temperamental. Seats should go forward automatically; seat potentiometers fail and whilst they can be fixed they aren’t cheap. Also the spider has a dedicated tool kit for the roof by the handbrake leaver; see if the tools are in it or not! Should have gloves, screwdriver, long bolt and socket.

I’d go see each of the cars, so you get a feel for the various qualities on offer.

Good luck and post lots of picture.
    Last edited by A348W; 03-12-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Don't know the car but it certainly looks the part. Things like the challenge grill, CF sill plates (not sure they look right on a 348 but somehow do on a 355) and I think Yoshi Shields really lift an already fantastic looking motor.

Whether you go for this car or another as long as you have a full PPI I'm not sure you can go wrong with a 355 Spider. Ticks a lot of boxes imo. best of luck with the search and hopefully purchase

Name
    Gavin

Ok thanks guys,
    Good tip on the additional tools… I bet they’ve been pinched 🤔

Will report back on how I get on 👍

Name
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Also the spider has a dedicated tool kit for the roof by the handbrake leaver; see if the tools are in it or not! Should have gloves, screwdriver, long bolt and socket.
    Tools were missing from the kit
    But to be fair, Howard said he'd source some to put back in there.

Car was lovely though, sounded mint, purred lovely, had both bumpers sprayed at some point (I guess thats to be expected), no sticky/sagging dash.

Couple of annoying issues, the roof went up but didn't push forward... well, didn't push forward reliably - might just need lubrication?
    Fuel flap solenoid was sticky and slow for the pin to return back.
    One of the headlights didn't pop up either

I felt more for Howard, as these I'm sure will be fixed, but it's a bit frustrating for the basics not to function.

I did also look underneath.... are these test pipes? (ie, is this decatted? - it does have a capristo fitted too).

Name:  cats.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  70.0 KB
    Last edited by RacingSnake; 05-12-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Name
    Adrian

Look like test pipes. Good luck getting an MoT. There are still some places they will pass it; but fewer and fewer. I’d want high flow cats on it.

As to the hood; mine goes up to a point then the last bit is by hand. Check what’s normal as I hear repair bills can be steep!

As to tool box; good luck; I know of one for sale at £1k hence I don’t have it yet!! I’d be surprised if they are willing to cough that but who knows.

Go look at the others; totally wrong time of year to sell so there might be better/ keener!

Good luck

Name
    Gavin

Cheers - MOT history looks clear, and it'll come with a fresh MOT on it.
    As to the hood; mine goes up to a point then the last bit is by hand. Check what’s normal as I hear repair bills can be steep!
    Yeah, this wasn't normal
    it raised vertically and got stuck - ie, didn't push the roof forward for you to then latch it up.
    It did the full movement a couple of times, but not religiously.

Will make some more calls tomorrow

Name
    Ian

Look like test pipes. Good luck getting an MoT. There are still some places they will pass it; but fewer and fewer. I’d want high flow cats on it.

As to tool box; good luck; I know of one for sale at £1k hence I don’t have it yet!! I’d be surprised if they are willing to cough that but who knows.

Go look at the others; totally wrong time of year to sell so there might be better/ keener!

Good luck
    I’d agree that’s test pipes. Also looks like a broken exhaust clamp.
    I would look at the standard of maintenance very carefully as there does seem to be a few problems coming up.
    Also the pipes seem very close to the mounting bracket, mine has a cat in that space so I would check all the mounts are ok and something hasn’t settled.
    Last edited by Ian355; 05-12-2021 at 08:22 PM.

Name
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    I’d agree that’s test pipes. Also looks like a broken exhaust clamp.
    I would look at the standard of maintenance very carefully as there does seem to be a few problems coming up.
    Also the pipes seem very close to the mounting bracket, mine has a cat in that space so I would check all the mounts are ok and something hasn’t settled.
    wow, well spotted
    I took about half an hour reading through the various invoices and work done - to be fair, maintenance does seem to have been regular (although no mention of the test pipes).

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Those issues sound a bit like a car which has sat for a while, is that the case? Not sure you'd fail to notice the hood sticking, the headlight not coming up and the fuel filler solenoid sticking if the car was being regularly used. Also more likely to have been 'laid up' rather than 'active storage' as all those would have been operated periodically if it were the latter. Obviously the roof on my TS in mandraulic but the others are items I cycle periodically when the car is off the road over the winter precisely to ensure they don't stick/fail.

Not necessarily a problem if this is the case, many if not most of these cars have some period of their life when they don't get used. Just worth having a really good look at everything you possibly can and perhaps be prepared for the odd minor glitch when she goes back into regular use. Wouldn't put me off, just worth being aware of.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast