Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Went to Maranello yesterday

  1. #1
    tom's Avatar
    tom is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London
    Name
    Tom
    Posts
    5,562

    Default Went to Maranello yesterday

    I am currently in Italy and was at a loose end yesterday while my girlfriend was doing some WFH so I drove the 3hrs to Maranello for lunch

    First thing I saw pulling off the main road towards the town? A heavily camouflaged SUV which followed me to the factory where it disappeared...

    I had a mooch around the museum, sat at a nearby cafe drinking coffee and watching some fellow tourists having fun with the various 'test drive' places, then had lunch at the recently revitalised Cavallino to see what Massimo Bottura has done with the place. It's largely the same as it was structurally but quite a bit smarter inside, and as you'd expect the food is much fancier than it was. Based on previous experiences of both I'd have always told a visitor asking for tips to eat at the Montana, over the Cavallino, but the lunch yesterday was really good. Eat at both in future!

    Side comments:
    1) I always forget how little there is to do in Maranello without taking up residence in a bar
    2) petrol is almost 2EUR/litre at the Eni by the factory
    3) the area around the factory has changed so much since the infamous forum factory tour in 2005(?); even since I was last there a couple of years ago there seems to have been more expansion of the factory and museum.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    england
    Name
    jos
    Posts
    19,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    A heavily camouflaged SUV which followed me to the factory where it disappeared...
    Looked like this ? https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...roduction-form

    I believe a lot of the expansion is for producing this

  3. #3
    Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    north west
    Name
    CPD
    Posts
    3,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    Looked like this ? https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...roduction-form

    I believe a lot of the expansion is for producing this
    Bentley built virtually a whole new factory for the Bentayga and it now outsells the whole range combined.

    We might not want 'em but the rets of the world Loves an SUV

  4. #4
    Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    north west
    Name
    CPD
    Posts
    3,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I am currently in Italy and was at a loose end yesterday while my girlfriend was doing some WFH so I drove the 3hrs to Maranello for lunch

    First thing I saw pulling off the main road towards the town? A heavily camouflaged SUV which followed me to the factory where it disappeared...

    I had a mooch around the museum, sat at a nearby cafe drinking coffee and watching some fellow tourists having fun with the various 'test drive' places, then had lunch at the recently revitalised Cavallino to see what Massimo Bottura has done with the place. It's largely the same as it was structurally but quite a bit smarter inside, and as you'd expect the food is much fancier than it was. Based on previous experiences of both I'd have always told a visitor asking for tips to eat at the Montana, over the Cavallino, but the lunch yesterday was really good. Eat at both in future!

    Side comments:
    1) I always forget how little there is to do in Maranello without taking up residence in a bar
    2) petrol is almost 2EUR/litre at the Eni by the factory
    3) the area around the factory has changed so much since the infamous forum factory tour in 2005(?); even since I was last there a couple of years ago there seems to have been more expansion of the factory and museum.
    I find Modena a better place to visit nowadays and the Enzo Ferrari Museum there is much more serious and higher quality than the factory offering IMO

  5. #5
    tom's Avatar
    tom is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London
    Name
    Tom
    Posts
    5,562

    Default

    Agreed, and to be expected as Maranello is but a small industrial town. Plenty of good eating, drinking and culture to be had in Modena. Bologna even moreso if one is looking for a base for a few days in the area, but obviously not much Ferrari stuff there.

  6. #6
    tom's Avatar
    tom is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London
    Name
    Tom
    Posts
    5,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    Looked like this ? https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...roduction-form

    I believe a lot of the expansion is for producing this
    Yes thatís the thing. As I was leaving to head back south I realised that the combination of the SUV and the newly expanded factory being the first thing I saw was a neat metaphor for how things have changed.

    Lunch was good though so itís not all bad

Similar Threads

  1. Saw this yesterday...
    By andrea watt in forum Motorsport and Sport
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-08-2012, 10:14 AM
  2. Got my 430 yesterday
    By paul360 in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 08:39 PM
  3. How is this any different to yesterday??
    By Juke 360 in forum Motorsport and Sport
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2008, 02:08 PM
  4. Yesterday at St Agate
    By jos in forum Motorsport and Sport
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 03:31 PM
  5. Look what i saw yesterday!
    By paulm in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-12-2005, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •