Thread: Went to Maranello yesterday

tom is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Tom

Default Went to Maranello yesterday

I am currently in Italy and was at a loose end yesterday while my girlfriend was doing some WFH so I drove the 3hrs to Maranello for lunch

First thing I saw pulling off the main road towards the town? A heavily camouflaged SUV which followed me to the factory where it disappeared...

I had a mooch around the museum, sat at a nearby cafe drinking coffee and watching some fellow tourists having fun with the various 'test drive' places, then had lunch at the recently revitalised Cavallino to see what Massimo Bottura has done with the place. It's largely the same as it was structurally but quite a bit smarter inside, and as you'd expect the food is much fancier than it was. Based on previous experiences of both I'd have always told a visitor asking for tips to eat at the Montana, over the Cavallino, but the lunch yesterday was really good. Eat at both in future!

Side comments:
    1) I always forget how little there is to do in Maranello without taking up residence in a bar
    2) petrol is almost 2EUR/litre at the Eni by the factory
    3) the area around the factory has changed so much since the infamous forum factory tour in 2005(?); even since I was last there a couple of years ago there seems to have been more expansion of the factory and museum.

Name
    jos

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    A heavily camouflaged SUV which followed me to the factory where it disappeared...
    Looked like this ? https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...roduction-form

I believe a lot of the expansion is for producing this

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post

Bentley built virtually a whole new factory for the Bentayga and it now outsells the whole range combined.

We might not want 'em but the rets of the world Loves an SUV

Modificato is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I am currently in Italy and was at a loose end yesterday while my girlfriend was doing some WFH so I drove the 3hrs to Maranello for lunch

First thing I saw pulling off the main road towards the town? A heavily camouflaged SUV which followed me to the factory where it disappeared...

I had a mooch around the museum, sat at a nearby cafe drinking coffee and watching some fellow tourists having fun with the various 'test drive' places, then had lunch at the recently revitalised Cavallino to see what Massimo Bottura has done with the place. It's largely the same as it was structurally but quite a bit smarter inside, and as you'd expect the food is much fancier than it was. Based on previous experiences of both I'd have always told a visitor asking for tips to eat at the Montana, over the Cavallino, but the lunch yesterday was really good. Eat at both in future!

Side comments:
    1) I always forget how little there is to do in Maranello without taking up residence in a bar
    2) petrol is almost 2EUR/litre at the Eni by the factory
    3) the area around the factory has changed so much since the infamous forum factory tour in 2005(?); even since I was last there a couple of years ago there seems to have been more expansion of the factory and museum.
    I find Modena a better place to visit nowadays and the Enzo Ferrari Museum there is much more serious and higher quality than the factory offering IMO

Name
    Tom

Agreed, and to be expected as Maranello is but a small industrial town. Plenty of good eating, drinking and culture to be had in Modena. Bologna even moreso if one is looking for a base for a few days in the area, but obviously not much Ferrari stuff there.

Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post

Yes thatís the thing. As I was leaving to head back south I realised that the combination of the SUV and the newly expanded factory being the first thing I saw was a neat metaphor for how things have changed.

Lunch was good though so itís not all bad