Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 355 key fob out of sync...

Name
    Gavin

Default 355 key fob out of sync...

Hi Guys,
    Finally got myself a 355 a couple of days ago, which came with 2 fobs, the red and a black.
    the red is fine, but the black - which didn't have a battery in it, doesn't work.
    it' a brand new battery I fitted and the light on the fob illuminates but nothing from the car.

I've read dozens of threads regarding out of sync fobs, which ranged from pressing it 100 times to resync, to using the alarm pin.

What I'm not clear on is if I use the Alarm Pin (which I don't have yet), can you use it to re-sync or add in existing fobs? - All posts I've seen talk about adding new fobs, but nothing relating to old ones?

And/or, any ideas!!

Many Thanks

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by RacingSnake View Post
    And/or, any ideas!!
    Don't lose the red fob.

Last edited by Nosevi; 13-01-2022 at 08:45 PM.

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Sorry.

I've heard of cars being sold with 'both fobs' but one of them actually has nothing at all to do with the car, just gets thrown in when the car comes up for sale. Are you sure the black fob is actually from this car?

Name
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Are you sure the black fob is actually from this car?
    Not in the slightest
    the attached key is an ignition key for the car, but I appreciate that doesn't mean anything.

tom is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Tom

Before buying my CS I did some research into the infamous red fobs, as the car did not have one with it and I was worried this was a disaster. (My old 355 was pre-coloured fobs and had a Ferrari UK fitted Cobra alarm system so I had not had cause to investigate during my previous stint in Ferrari circles...)

Turns out the red fobs are essentially the same as the black fobs, once the initial programming is completed. You cannot use a red fob to reprogram a new fob in future, nor does it hold any special powers over the black fobs.

If you search on f-chat you'll find a whole bunch of threads about re-syncing fobs on 355s and 360s. I think your best bet is to try to find someone who can clone one of the working fobs onto your duff fob. Try AV Engineering, they seem very helpful.
    Last edited by tom; 13-01-2022 at 07:37 PM.

Name
    Tom

There is a procedure described in this thread, https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/th...55-fob.471869/, that will supposedly let you sync an existing fob but I've seen plenty of other information suggesting this doesn't work. Might be worth a try though. You do need the 4 digit immobiliser PIN though.
    Last edited by tom; 13-01-2022 at 08:18 PM.

Name
    Tom

Finally, I have this PDF (I can't remember where it came from so I can't credit the author - I think I got it from f-chat...) which explains some extra detail around the above.

I couldn't attach it to this post so I hope this URL works.

http://backslick.com/cs/Programming%...New%20Fobs.pdf

edit: I can't edit my initial post now but I should correct an ambiguity. When I say the red fob cannot be used to reprogram a new fob, I meant that the red fob can be used to re-sync one of the original black fobs, but it cannot be used to program a fob that was not originally part of the set.
    Last edited by tom; 13-01-2022 at 08:25 PM.

Name
    Ian Riddell

A lot of immobiliser problems are caused by the proliferation of fob clones in the early years. Sometimes you have to push the button hundreds of times to get things back in sync, but that is not to say they will remain in sync. It's best to get one of the professionals (In the USA, France or Australia) to create a proper replacement. In some cases you will have to send your Immobiliser ECU to them. At the same time, I would get a second black fob.

It is "rocket science", but there are rocket scientists out there.

For info, the Immobiliser ECU has 3 memory channels (one for each fob.. one red/two black). However, clones use the same channel as another fob, so if you use one fob one day and a clone another day, the fobs will get out of sequence.

By the way, Mark "Gobble" on FerrariChat is now making a new version with the key and fob in one. Keycutting will be required.

Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Qavion View Post
    For info, the Immobiliser ECU has 3 memory channels (one for each fob.. one red/two black). However, clones use the same channel as another fob, so if you use one fob one day and a clone another day, the fobs will get out of sequence.
    I believe the fobs get out of sync, if you've cloned one, due to the 'rolling code' they use to authenticate with the immobiliser. Therefore if you simply clone a fob it's recommended to alternate between the cloned fob and the clonee, so you're only ever one 'roll' out - having to only press the fob an extra once to get back to the right sequence.

Name
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I meant that the red fob can be used to re-sync one of the original black fobs, but it cannot be used to program a fob that was not originally part of the set.
    Assuming that my black fob is actually one of the original fobs... this is what I wanted to find out.
    Even in the pdf (which is great), it still talks about "new fobs".

Is there a process to use my existing red fob to 're-sync' my existing black fob? (on the assumption that it is indeed an original black fob).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast