Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 456 M GTA 24500! would the mileage be an issue?

Name
    Richard

Default 456 M GTA 24500! would the mileage be an issue?

Would 126000 with fsh be a massive barrier for you at 24000? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...el=456M&page=1

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by g18 View Post
    Would 126000 with fsh be a massive barrier for you at 24000? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...el=456M&page=1
    Possibly not after a full and thorough PPI, depends on how it's been kept during those miles.

I'd probably only consider it if I intended to keep it pretty much indefinitely though because rightly or wrongly higher mileage Ferraris are incredibly difficult to sell - I may not care much but the market certainly does.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Possibly not after a full and thorough PPI, depends on how it's been kept during those miles.

I'd probably only consider it if I intended to keep it pretty much indefinitely though because rightly or wrongly higher mileage Ferraris are incredibly difficult to sell - I may not care much but the market certainly does.
    Just as you would any car. I can say that they do work better when they are used.

I would not let mileage put me off. If as mentioned the service history is up to date and you should probably have a Pre-Purchase Inspection done as you would any exotic.
    Whilst what Pete says is correct you are buying cheap so selling cheap shouldn't be an issue with the mileage.
    From my experience and an un-experienced seller last year 'knock'em down'

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    From my experience and an un-experienced seller last year 'knock'em down'
    Experienced or not it didn't work for them did it? You still have the car. More fool them!

Nosevi is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Committee Member
    Name
    Pete

Whilst what Pete says is correct you are buying cheap so selling cheap shouldn't be an issue with the mileage.
    I've seen some higher mileage cars sit on the market forever while their more normal mileage peers get bought even when they were priced at the bottom of it. The Ferrari market simply hates mileage. We all know it's daft and that the cars drive better with some regular miles put on them, but it's a simple fact of the market that higher mileage cars, even if priced low, don't sell nearly as quickly as low mileage cars even when they are priced high. If you price it cheap enough you can sell anything though I guess.

I'd definitely go and have a look at it. Full Service History pretty much doesn't exist on cars this age even if every other advert claims it and to be honest it wouldn't make a difference to me, at this end of the market it'll make no difference when you come to sell it. I'd purely be interested in the condition, a comprehensive PPI report and how it drives.

Name
    Ronald Brown

For what it's worth, if the car is undamaged bodily and is tidy inside, it wouldn't put me off.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I've seen some higher mileage cars sit on the market forever while their more normal mileage peers get bought even when they were priced at the bottom of it. The Ferrari market simply hates mileage. We all know it's daft and that the cars drive better with some regular miles put on them, but it's a simple fact of the market that higher mileage cars, even if priced low, don't sell nearly as quickly as low mileage cars even when they are priced high. If you price it cheap enough you can sell anything though I guess.

I'd definitely go and have a look at it. Full Service History pretty much doesn't exist on cars this age even if every other advert claims it and to be honest it wouldn't make a difference to me, at this end of the market it'll make no difference when you come to sell it. I'd purely be interested in the condition, a comprehensive PPI report and how it drives.
    All that is only relevant if you're buying to sell. I have never bought a car in my life that I thought about how I'd sell it. Which is just as well with this car
    I joke about how I couldn't sell my 360 last year. Whilst I don't think it is a concourse car it is not bad. The mileage (41k) was never brought up with the several conversations and four of five who came to see it. Mostly they just wanted to pay peanuts for it and one went on to say what might be wrong with it rather than what was wrong with it.
    As such it's not worth bothering about. When I sell mine (whenever that might be) I'm just going to sell it to the likes of Tim Walker, I won't be selling private.

As such go and see the car and if you like it get an inspection and go from there.

Mark Blanchard is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Mark Blanchard

Lots of Ferrari's have huge mileage on them, they're just clocked back to show nicer mileage (and to retain their value) and they're usually well maintained. So should be ok.

Name
    Pete

All that is only relevant if you're buying to sell. I have never bought a car in my life that I thought about how I'd sell it. Which is just as well with this car
    I joke about how I couldn't sell my 360 last year. Whilst I don't think it is a concourse car it is not bad. The mileage (41k) was never brought up with the several conversations and four of five who came to see it. Mostly they just wanted to pay peanuts for it and one went on to say what might be wrong with it rather than what was wrong with it.
    As such it's not worth bothering about. When I sell mine (whenever that might be) I'm just going to sell it to the likes of Tim Walker, I won't be selling private.

As such go and see the car and if you like it get an inspection and go from there.
    All fair enough.

I do think if your 360 had 126,000 miles on the clock not only would it have come up but most people wouldn't have even come to look and make ridiculous offers. Having spoken to Tim about a very high mileage 308 (over 100k miles) I was looking at a couple of years ago I'm pretty sure he wouldn't buy it from you either with that sort of mileage - Tim's a really nice bloke but he's also a businessman and he knows the market just as well as any of us (albeit we're talking a V12 here not a V8 and I seem to recall him saying something about one of the issues on older higher mileage cars from this era was cylinder linings needing replacing).

All of that said, we are in fact in agreement - I'd go look, get it inspected, which I would with any Ferrari regardless of mileage, and make a decision based on that.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blanchard View Post
    Lots of Ferrari's have huge mileage on them, they're just clocked back to show nicer mileage (and to retain their value)
    Outrageous thing to suggest!!!

Completely true though. The number of low mileage cars for sale with warn then poorly repaired seat bolters and worn peddles and foot rests is astonishing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast